Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DFHack: Unblock meetings investigation workaround for DF bug  (Read 1703 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've tried to figure out why meetings get blocked, and how to get them going again. The number of samples so far is a single save from DFFD. What I've found from that save is as follows:

- A visitor identified by the save provider is blocking visitor meetings. As expected, that visitor displays an interest in joining the fortress.
- Killing the visitor gets meetings going again.
- The visitor's meeting field shows that she wants to conduct a meeting with the fortress. This is normal for all petitioners.
- The visitor's "specific_refs" list is odd, though. She's first scheduled to meet one dorf (presumably the former mayor), and then the current mayor. Both of those dorfs have one entry each in their specific_refs lists, which is a pointer to their respective meeting pointed to by the visitor's list.
- Appointing a third dorf as the mayor gets meetings going, up to a point. That point is when the stalling visitor gets scheduled for a meeting, which shows up as a third entry in her list, and one in the new mayor's. She doesn't attend that meeting either, so the meetings stall again.
- Appointing the former mayor as mayor again (suggested as a solution on the forum) did nothing. The stalling visitor didn't go to her first meeting either. A guess is that some internal state causes her to never consider the first meeting again, possibly when the second one was added (which probably is where DF goes wrong: the first meeting should have been removed from the lists of both participants on the election of a new mayor).
- Using DFHack to remove the meeting entries from the 3 dorfs in question did nothing on its own. I've tried various (probably all sensible) combinations.
- However, removing all the bugged meetings from all the participants AND appointing a third mayor sort of did the trick: meetings resumed, and the stalling visitor was processed properly. Sort of, however, means both of the (now) former mayors remain bugged: they would not perform any meetings when instated into office.
- Killing and reviving the stalling visitor seems to work, though. Somehow the cleanup following the death of the stalling visitor cleans out the specific_ref entries as well as whatever it is that blocks the mayor and former mayor from conducting meetings. When revived, the stalling visitor eventually went to a petition meeting with the elected mayor.
- The stalling situation seems to be easily reproduced: just replace the expedition leader/mayor as a visitor is to attend a meeting (as shows by the unit screen).
- If you don't want the stalling visitor to join, I've successfully unblocked the meetings by inducing the visitor to "head for the forest" as a (hopefully) less disruptive alternative to death-and-resurrection.
- Later development showed there were additional structures involved in df.global.ui. The latest version of the unblockmeetings script doesn't kill anyone.

I've created a couple of scripts that are useful in the situation examined, but they have limitations: I've failed to get the kill/revive script to return the possessions to the inventory of the stalling visitor (DF crashes when I try), so the possessions lie in a pile on the ground, together with a corpse I haven't tried to dispose of. The kill/revive script is based on exterminate.rb, and should thus work on vampires, but I haven't had any to test it with.

Script findmeetingblockers.lua
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This script is run on the embark to try to find who the blocker is. It will list everyone with entries in the specific_ref list, in particular the mayor(s), and I haven't done anything to try to remove legitimate causes for entries in that list (I don't know what they are).

Script unblockmeetings.lua
This script is executed when a unit is selected in the unit list or with 'v' and kills and revives the unit. Due to the need for DF to run to perform the kill cleanup before the unit is revived, DF will have to run for 3 ticks for the script to finish, so you run the script, deselect the unit, and then either single step DF thrice, or just resume it.

getlost.lua
This script tells the selected unit to head for the forest. Unfortunately, it doesn't override the socializing done by over staying visitors, but bugged ones, such as a visitor who's gotten the petition foiled don't do any socializing, and seem to be subject to the suggestion to get lost. As usual, I have no idea if this script has side effects.

Caveat emptor: Limited testing of the scripts, and no knowledge of what side effects the unblockmeetings script may have.

Edit: Updated with the latest (non lethal) version of unblockmeetings, as well as added an additional point on the known info list.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 03:02:50 am by PatrikLundell »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFHack: Unblock meetings investigation workaround for DF bug
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 08:33:34 am »

Code: [Select]
   local inventory_entry = df.unit_inventory_item:new ()
This doesn't appear to be used at all (and it leaks memory).

Is this bug reported on the tracker? The closest thing I could find is http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=3027, but that predates visitors by multiple major versions.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 09:39:55 am »

You're correct in that the line isn't used (part of the failed attempt to restore inventory). Shouldn't matter given that the script isn't going to be run repeatedly, but you're correct, of course. I'm rather unsure of how Lua handles memory, given that it seems to leak left, right, and center from its odd set management and no visible means of handling it, except for some C like destructors.

I believe the bug is on the tracker, but I've failed to find it despite looking for it (and having a vague memory of having commented on a different bug report). However, the bugged save I've used is the one provided by Mygna (but the DFFD entry didn't have any reference to the bug report). Anyway, I suspect the cause to be a failure in handling "cancelled" meetings correctly, and visitors is an addition that makes it even more visible (and increases the likelihood of it gumming up).

Edit: I've updated the bug report with a summary of the findings. Thanks for the link.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 09:55:16 am by PatrikLundell »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 10:19:06 am »

You're correct in that the line isn't used (part of the failed attempt to restore inventory). Shouldn't matter given that the script isn't going to be run repeatedly, but you're correct, of course. I'm rather unsure of how Lua handles memory, given that it seems to leak left, right, and center from its odd set management and no visible means of handling it, except for some C like destructors.
Lua garbage-collects Lua objects (tables, userdata, etc.) automatically, but not immediately (unless you call collectgarbage()). You do have to delete anything you create with DFHack's df.new() or :new() manually (with :delete(), or df.delete()), because those wrap C++ constructors/destructors. What do you mean by "set management"?

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 10:36:15 am »

Management of the sets of associations Lua uses, i.e. the ones you (and, I presume, Lua) call tables.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 10:49:33 am »

If you're running into issues with complicated tables not being collected, http://lua-users.org/wiki/WeakTablesTutorial may help (or http://lua-users.org/wiki/GarbageCollectionTutorial).

Thanks for updating the report on Mantis, by the way.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 03:55:26 am »

I've updated the first post by adding the last two points (at the time of this writing) and the getlost script.

I certainly could use some help in finding a way to clear the blocking meeting information without having to get rid of the visitor or killing him (with an optional resurrection). That would probably require identification of the data that causes DF to stop trying to arrange meetings, though.