Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17

Author Topic: Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous CRPG  (Read 35681 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker CRPG
« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2018, 10:58:28 am »

Isn't Monk absolutely terrible or is that one of the things that Pathfinder fixed? In D&D 3.5 they require so many different attributes to be effective, Strength for damage, Dexterity/Constitution for defense, Wisdom/Charisma for abilities, etc, etc, and their abilities are on the lackluster side even when they are effective. So I assume that Pathfinder tried to improve them due to how obviously bad they were.

Monk still needs many abilities and CRPGs fail to portray its main benefit: tactical mobility. Monk has always excelled as someone who streams through mooks to take down the enemy caster. Not to mention non-combat situations where it is useful.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 15, 2018, 01:51:36 pm »

I think I will try a scaled fist/Dragon disciple character, with a level of archeologist to qualify for DD
Agh, I want to try this one but I feel so unwilling to fuck around with multiclass...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2018, 02:19:21 pm »

Isn't Monk absolutely terrible or is that one of the things that Pathfinder fixed? In D&D 3.5 they require so many different attributes to be effective, Strength for damage, Dexterity/Constitution for defense, Wisdom/Charisma for abilities, etc, etc, and their abilities are on the lackluster side even when they are effective. So I assume that Pathfinder tried to improve them due to how obviously bad they were.

Monk still needs many abilities and CRPGs fail to portray its main benefit: tactical mobility. Monk has always excelled as someone who streams through mooks to take down the enemy caster. Not to mention non-combat situations where it is useful.
Surprisingly I think this is where 5E DnD did it's best work. Monk became quite playable in that one.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2018, 04:08:18 pm »

On the other hand, I just looked and it turns out the Duelling Sword do not get a expanded crit range, only the usual one for swords (19-20x2). So including Aldef in it was pointless. I will either remove it or exchange it for a regular Fighter dip and specialize in the Estoc instead.

The advantage of the dueling sword is that you get an exclusive feat with +2AC and an initiative bonus, as well as having that weapon plausibly available in good quality due to the campaign.

The estoc seems like the best magus weapon numbers-wise but I'm not quite sure how available they are at higher enhancement levels, and unless you're Sword Saint you need the exotic proficiency to use it properly.

I started playing an estoc Sword Saint, pure dex/int, but I got discouraged after seeing his reduced spellcasting.

So now I'm a regular Magus, str/int build, I'm using a +1 scimitar but I haven't picked any feat for it yet to keep my options open.

What I really like with the proper Magus class is the spell recall ability, fueled by the arcane pool. It's really good and gets even better later on.
You can even swap a spell on the fly, recall it, and use it immediately (which I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to be able to do until you get the improved recall).

Plus, you get to wear medium/heavy armor later on for free.

One thing I did though, to make soloing bearable, is mod the game to get double mob exp. I did that after I noticed that I got about 6 times less exp from a Worg than the proper exp reward from the tabletop game. So now I still get about 3 times less exp, but it's already a lot better and now I don't have to worry about wasting too much time on grinding random encounters.

Modding was a bit arduous to get into, but in the end I managed to use dnSpy to find what I was looking for. There are in-built multipliers for each source of exp : mob, boss, various categories of quests, and skill exp, so I only had to tune "mob" from 0.75 to 1.5.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 04:16:49 pm by Sirian »

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 16, 2018, 02:01:49 am »

The estoc seems like the best magus weapon numbers-wise but I'm not quite sure how available they are at higher enhancement levels, and unless you're Sword Saint you need the exotic proficiency to use it properly.
I'm at level 12 with my Eldritch Scion and so far I think I've seen one +2 estoc (with the Agile property), and that was only very recently - until level 11 or so the best I'd seen was a +1 estoc.

So I'm sticking with Scimitar.  1.5 less average damage, but they seem to be a bit more common - for a few levels now I've been wielding a +2 scimitar that has an additional +2 when you have a Touch spell charged.

I'm gonna stick with Magus until at least level 13 for the heavy armour.  After that I might multiclass into something with sneak attack for the double application when using spell strike (plus sneak attack seems very strong in this game in general - the rogue in my party just demolishes everything, when he's not faceplanting).  Or maybe wait til 16 for level 6 spells.  Then again, I might go all the way to 20 for all the extra spells that Arcane bloodline will give me (though the spell selection is small enough that I'm not sure that's worthwhile) along with the +2 attack or +2 save DC...  Maybe time to edit a save file for max xp and try out a few builds.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 16, 2018, 08:03:24 am »

I got a question regarding the Sepulcher you do some venturin' in near the end of act 2(?). I'm not sure if it's bugged or not.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 16, 2018, 12:55:48 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll admit I had to use a guide for this dungeon.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 16, 2018, 02:17:57 pm »

While slightly MAD, it can't be too hard to make a decent Mystic Theurge in this, can it?

It's like all the spells. Or all the good ones. To the point of needing a party member to battlegod, while being able to do that to you as well? Or just trip casting slots into the "yeah bro, whatever. I've got so many of them prepared, you don't even need to know what else I have prepared. Today, at least". I mean, slighty lower level spells, yes. But PF has SO MANY SPELLS. Even core.
It's a game. Have fun.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 16, 2018, 02:50:25 pm »

There's the Empyreal Sorcerer, if you don't mind losing an additional level in exchange for pure Wisdom-based casting.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 16, 2018, 04:12:02 pm »

The game has far less spells than Pathfinder core, since it lacks all utility spells. No alarm, no floating disc, no phantom steed, no teleport. I hope they get added eventually. Especially teleportation and such. Without utility spells arcane casters lose a lot of their use.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2018, 05:19:37 pm »

I'm trying to go for arch1, scaled fist dragon disciple (exact build may vary). Might reroll as a sorcerer as a quick review of tables shows it'd work a bit better for what I  want
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2018, 06:04:38 am »

Yeah so the new patch fixed some bugs so I can proceed again. But then I found artisan quests that can't be solved. Simply because there is only one piece of an item in the world, I already found it and likely sold it. But have no idea where I sold it. So yeah. Shitty design anyone, having an quest item but not marking it as one, so it can be sold?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2018, 07:39:16 am »

Well, I understand if you're not up for a shopcrawl adventure, but I think most every shopkeeper retains sold items in their inventory indefinitely.

Of course, son shopkeepers cease being shopkeepers, so if you're unlucky...
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2018, 08:04:22 am »

So apparently there is debate about the sorc/monk/dd build concerning how many levels of each. One school advocates getting most of DD/monk levels and sticking with one of sorc, while others advocate the reverse: 3-4 levels of monk, full DD, and the rest on sorc to get better spells. I'd been considering something more even, too, like 4 levels of DD to max out the str bonus and then split the rest between monk and sorc.

(Btw when I say monk I actually mean scaled fist)

Agh. Part of the problem is that I really want to do an undead bloodline magus.

I'm shelving my scqled fist for now. I'll probably retake it in the future but tbh I' rather pump SF and DD levels and sorta ignore  sorc... but I donno how viable it will be. I suspect I might end with a half-assed multiclass and that if I want to do what I'm trying to do,  a pure muscle sorc/dd build with arcane armor and crane feats might actually work better. Or a pure bard/dd with same for that matter

Edit 2: I think I'm going to do the scaled fist RDD sorcerer but it will be scaled fist 1 RDD 8-10 and sorcerer 9-11. Scaled fist will serve to give me a char bonus to AC and crane style, possibly sparing me from needing armored caster. RDD can give me 7-8 CLs depending on whether I go the full 10 or not.  Sorc will give me 9-11. So in effect I should have an effective sorc level of 17-18... which is almost a full class sorc. Hopefully WITH the full crane, char to armor, and whatnot, I should have a pretty reliable high AC.

Edit 3: in a way I still feel that I should be playing my heavily modded CK2 instead.... but I'll wait for Holy Fury. Which I prepurchased btw
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 03:47:52 am by ChairmanPoo »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 21, 2018, 09:09:38 am »

Ok the silky fight is retarded.... you're simply thrown against a monster out of nowhere with unlimited hold person spells that it keeps casting over and over.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17