Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17

Author Topic: Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous CRPG  (Read 35655 times)

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker CRPG
« Reply #135 on: October 22, 2018, 08:00:48 pm »

You could just like fail the problem, couldn't you? If it isn't one of those "do this or the game ends" problems that the game hints about existing, then it doesn't really matter too much?

But it's not just this single even that I'm worried about, it's the fact that I'll be missing a General the whole game and I won't be able to solve any Military event.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 23, 2018, 12:05:41 am »

How did you loose out on Amiri? I didn't know that was possible.
Love, scriver~

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 23, 2018, 12:25:32 am »

I've never heard of someone missing a general the whole game, but if you dismiss and/or kill all the NPCs and companions, that is possible, yes. People have been mostly having trouble with treasurer and councilor, since the pools of available people to those positions are much smaller. Good characters have only one option for councilor. Treasurer has three options, but you only get one in the earlier chapters and the rest later.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 23, 2018, 12:39:07 am »

Oh, right, forgot character death is a thing on other difficulties. Too early in the morning, I blame.
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2018, 01:19:53 am »

...the game is stupidly punishing in general. And like the Silky encounter, most of oit is fake diff
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 23, 2018, 01:28:18 am »

Am I 100% screwed and need to restart the game, or is there a way out of this ?
I'm not sure if you're 100% screwed, but it's definitely going to be a lot harder to survive the kingdom management part of the game once the nastier 'Problem' events start cropping up and you just have to let them fail because you've not got a General to handle them (taking regular big hits to your kingdom stats as a result).  Even with a full complement of advisers to assign to every event that arises, it can be tough to keep the kingdom from crumbling that way (as I found out in act 5).

That said, if you do fail in that way (as opposed to just not dealing with the do-or-die story quests fast enough), it'll give you the option to turn on invincible kingdom mode so all will not be completely lost.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 01:44:17 am by Biowraith »

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 23, 2018, 02:11:15 am »

You could try setting kingdom management to auto? Otherwise, I don't know what to tell you - you shouldn't have run off all of the companions, even if you don't ever take them anywhere.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 23, 2018, 04:55:19 am »

You could just like fail the problem, couldn't you? If it isn't one of those "do this or the game ends" problems that the game hints about existing, then it doesn't really matter too much?

But it's not just this single even that I'm worried about, it's the fact that I'll be missing a General the whole game and I won't be able to solve any Military event.

I'm not convinced that's a problem.  :P

Maybe I'm missing something, but the only thing I've seen problems do is affect your kingdom stats, and the only thing I've seen kingdom stats do is affect BP income, and the only thing you can spend BP on is raising your kingdom stats. Maybe other things happen later in the game, but at this point having a crappy kingdom doesn't seem like it actually matters.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 23, 2018, 05:38:11 am »

Well, at this point I think I'll just wait about 6 months, so that the devs can finish patching all the bugs, and restart from zero once more.This time I'll know better than to assume I had any say in who to pick as a companion, the answer from the beginning was : keep all of them, the devs want you to play their way, not yours.

It's like being stuck with a shitty DM.

Want a General ? Here's a crude barbarian girl dressed in furs, a chaotic evil orc, and an aldori sock-puppet (half?)orc. Have your pick ! Oh but you won't know they were General choices when they were presented to you, oopsies. And you didn't know what an advisor was either, for that matter, tee-hee~. But they are so endearing, surely you kept them, right ? Right ..?

I mean FFS at least give us generic NPCs to fill in positions! I'll take any random guard captain rather than leave the position open. Or that guy, Kesten Garess, maybe he could do the job rather than sit on his ass all day until the Warden position opens ?? Just a thought !
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 05:40:33 am by Sirian »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 23, 2018, 06:14:11 am »

I think this guy says it best https://www.google.es/amp/s/venturebeat.com/2018/10/01/the-infuriating-design-of-pathfinder-kingmaker-shows-the-value-of-a-dungeon-master/amp/

As it stands, Kingmaker is punishing in bloody stupid ways, you spend too much time reloading.  There's a good game core, but between the bugs and the absurd dissonant difficulty you get frustrated quickly
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 23, 2018, 10:45:18 am »

This is Pathfinder after all, so death is pretty meaningless. If your companions die in battle you can just raise them. However, if you kill people yourself (I think you can murder Jubilost when you first meet him, for example) then they are dead for good and no longer available. Plus you can tell companions to take a hike. Likewise, as a design oversight, you can't raise advisors dying during quest events.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 23, 2018, 01:20:04 pm »

I half-think the true answer to the dillema is to invest 4000GP early to hire two mercenary monster tacticians or herald callers and use them as leverage in encounters.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 23, 2018, 01:25:36 pm »

Maybe I'm missing something, but the only thing I've seen problems do is affect your kingdom stats, and the only thing I've seen kingdom stats do is affect BP income, and the only thing you can spend BP on is raising your kingdom stats. Maybe other things happen later in the game, but at this point having a crappy kingdom doesn't seem like it actually matters.

If your kingdom gets crappy enough it crumbles and falls and that's game over (unless you turn the invincible kingdom setting on, which it offers you when you hit that point).  Also, low stats means your advisers have lower bonuses, which makes it harder to meet the Problem event DCs, which makes it more likely your kingdom stats will get bad enough to fall and almost impossible to pull back from once it starts to get bad.  It happened to me in act 5 by which time many of the Problem events had a DC of 25 (or higher) and some of my secondary stat advisers (including, crucially, the Warden who manages Stability) only had a +5.

And yeah, trial and error, save and reload, is definitely a big part of the design philosophy of this game.  There's a lot of unannounced optional encounters that are leveled well above the rest of the map they're on - you only realise you're meant to wait 5 levels to fight them once your party is in the middle of being torn apart by them.  Some of them have some sort of warning beforehand (if you pick up on them), but others not so much.  There's also various level-appropriate fights that are relatively easy if you deploy fairly specific hard counters, but a nightmare if you don't have them prepared / in your party.  It's definitely a game that's a lot easier on your second playthrough as I've found after my act 5 mishap (I didn't opt for the invincible kingdom option to save myself and restarted instead) - a lot of the fights that I had to reload 10+ times on my first party I managed first time with little trouble on my second go round, despite my party being basically the same characters and builds; I just knew what to expect and how to handle it better (lots of +save buffs and some summons against Silky, dispel magic and fear against a certain troll, and so on).  I did find that I had less of the constant reload battles as I went on in my first attempt too though - not sure if that was due to my experience as a player improving or just because higher level characters tend to have more leeway than low level ones.

Edit to not double post:

I half-think the true answer to the dillema is to invest 4000GP early to hire two mercenary monster tacticians or herald callers and use them as leverage in encounters.
If you avoid leveling up until after the bandit fight at the trading post, you can pick them up for 500gp each as it scales with your current level (and if you're careful will have 1000-1500 gold at that point).  I haven't found it necessary on my second attempt though, I'm just using the regular NPCs.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 01:28:08 pm by Biowraith »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 24, 2018, 01:49:34 pm »

Another day, another patch. And the free 'Bloody Mess' DLC. It's some new blood shaders on characters, when they fall under certain health thresholds. The blood can be removed from characters when they are healed or when they rest, and adds a new Bloodstain setting in the options menu.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 25, 2018, 02:24:18 pm »

Did something happen to fatigue? I feel as if I suddenly can barely move two or three "steps" before everyone is fatigued now. Am I imagining things or have there been a change?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17