Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous CRPG  (Read 35740 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker CRPG
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 03:00:40 pm »

It's not allowed in the tabletop threads, I don't really want it in this thread.

With only 4 days to go in the Kickstarter, I doubt they'll be hitting their 700k stretch goal of an extra story chapter. Which seems to mean we won't be getting Archetypes, since that's a stretch goal of its own. But the Magus is in, which is something.

Hopefully that extra story chapter wasn't needed to make sense of it.

I'm just wondering what classes will make it in.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 03:02:20 pm by BlackFlyme »

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 07:49:16 pm »

It'd be cool if there were a turn-based, grid-map D&D RPG that implemented every game rule as closely as possible. If you could automate all of the calculations required, Pathfinder and 3.5 lose most of their disadvantages when compared to 5e.
This is probably gonna be a good game anyways, but you can see where people are coming from when they wish it were more like playing Pathfinder with an automatic GM.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 09:17:05 pm »

Can you play forever after finishing the main story (ala Fallout 4) or will it have an ending?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 09:34:12 pm »

It'd be cool if there were a turn-based, grid-map D&D RPG that implemented every game rule as closely as possible. If you could automate all of the calculations required, Pathfinder and 3.5 lose most of their disadvantages when compared to 5e.
It's called Temple of Elemental Evil. I don't think it uses 3.5e though.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2017, 04:40:30 am »

No, iirc it uses 3.0. It's definitely the most faithful adaption of dnd rules I've seen, however.
Love, scriver~

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2018, 03:27:59 pm »

Resurrecting this, the game has been released on the 25th, and so far I’ve only played the tutorial twice while I’ve figured out what class I’d like to play. So far from the little I’ve played, the writing is solid and the characters are likable enough. You also have the option to hire your own custom made characters to fill shortfalls. Most of the companions are melee meatshields in the beginning, and there is a noticible lack of arcane casters, so either you play one yourself, which makes the first part of the tutorial... amusing, or you hire one early.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2018, 03:36:04 pm »

Resurrecting this, the game has been released on the 25th, and so far I’ve only played the tutorial twice while I’ve figured out what class I’d like to play. So far from the little I’ve played, the writing is solid and the characters are likable enough. You also have the option to hire your own custom made characters to fill shortfalls. Most of the companions are melee meatshields in the beginning, and there is a noticible lack of arcane casters, so either you play one yourself, which makes the first part of the tutorial... amusing, or you hire one early.

Amusing in what way? :)

I made a meatshield fighter after being a bit overwhelmed by the full Pathfinder creation system and was wondering if I'm missing out.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2018, 04:02:57 pm »

Your first two companions are a gnome sorcerer and a halfling bard with a crossbow, both with negative strength. So if all three party members need to stay at range or get stabbed in the face... luckily the second half of you get meat shields.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2018, 05:23:38 pm »

I've been following the feedback on this game since it launched. I'm seeing an overwhelming amount of mentions of bugs and unbalanced classes and encounters. Also unintuitive UI design. And uninteresting stories for the optional party members.
Aside from the above, the rest of the game is supposed to be pretty good. I'm disinclined to drop $40 for a game with so many fundamental issues however.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 05:28:27 pm by Folly »

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2018, 05:25:42 pm »

The story companions you get are really, horribly unoptimized (the fighter with 14STR/15CHA stands out), and they make the game harder than it should be for the higher difficulties. Probably if you stick to Normal you won't have any issues; it's a real struggle on Hard (and from what people say on the forums, borderline *mathematically impossible* on the highest difficulty, Unfair). On higher difficulties enemies get flat bonuses to every stat *and* roll, so expect to fight Kobolds with 26AC at level 2. Luckily the difficulty settings are very granular and you can adjust it to something slightly less brutal if you want.

It's very authentic Pathfinder, and while it's missing a lot of fun feats (no rapid reload!?), it's still a good time, if you enjoy the Pathfinder ruleset. If you're just interested in the story/kingdom-building I'd say probably stay away; this is a game that expects its combat to carry its weight. The combat *is* the best out of any modern CRPG I've played; Pillars, Tyranny, et al aren't even in the same ballpark.

Protip: in this game, flanking triggers if you're being attacked by two melee units; positioning doesn't play a role. This means your rogue can get sneak attacks without actually having to move behind the enemy. On the other hand, enemy rogues using ranged weapons get very easy sneak attacks on your tank, which can be rough.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2018, 06:24:42 pm »

The story companions you get are really, horribly unoptimized (the fighter with 14STR/15CHA stands out), and they make the game harder than it should be for the higher difficulties. Probably if you stick to Normal you won't have any issues; it's a real struggle on Hard (and from what people say on the forums, borderline *mathematically impossible* on the highest difficulty, Unfair). On higher difficulties enemies get flat bonuses to every stat *and* roll, so expect to fight Kobolds with 26AC at level 2. Luckily the difficulty settings are very granular and you can adjust it to something slightly less brutal if you want.

It's very authentic Pathfinder, and while it's missing a lot of fun feats (no rapid reload!?), it's still a good time, if you enjoy the Pathfinder ruleset. If you're just interested in the story/kingdom-building I'd say probably stay away; this is a game that expects its combat to carry its weight. The combat *is* the best out of any modern CRPG I've played; Pillars, Tyranny, et al aren't even in the same ballpark.

Protip: in this game, flanking triggers if you're being attacked by two melee units; positioning doesn't play a role. This means your rogue can get sneak attacks without actually having to move behind the enemy. On the other hand, enemy rogues using ranged weapons get very easy sneak attacks on your tank, which can be rough.

Struggling at times on normal as well.. The spiders were awful, as is the Werewolf early on, the encounters are so badly balanced at times it seems that nearly everything has some sort of damage resistance early on.

Save loading certainly helps at least, and a ton of potions.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2018, 07:13:25 pm »

I forgot I had made this thread, actually. I'd better update it.

Yeah, swarms suck. I don't know how I got through those spiders, since all I had to hurt them were torches, which can only deal 1 fire damage. I'm enjoying the game so far otherwise, though I'm not too big on Real-Time-With-Pause. There's also quite a few bugs and some strange difficulty quirks, which can really show in some random encounters. There's a patch out today, so hopefully that alleviates some of it. I still can't get my backer bonus to install, however.

Unoptimized NPCs sounds about par for the course in Pathfinder, to be honest. As a note, if you plan on keeping her in your party, you should probably take Val's tower shield away until she's about level 5, since tower shields apply more penalties than it's worth.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2018, 04:32:59 am »

I am currently playing Divinity Original Sin (the first one) and I really enjoy the combat there, because you just have a lot more options with stuff like lightning making puddles buzz with electricity to stun enemies (and allies, so many times...). If you have played this, how does the combat compare (apart from the turn based to realtime with pause thing)?

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2018, 05:38:20 am »

The story companions you get are really, horribly unoptimized (the fighter with 14STR/15CHA stands out), and they make the game harder than it should be for the higher difficulties.
Dude have you even played oldschool RPGs based on D&D ruleset before. That's been a thing forever.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2018, 07:57:04 am »

Setting the difficulty option Enemy Stat Adjustment to 'Normal Enemies' as well as enemy strength to normal makes the npcs match the pathfinder rules pretty well...

For some reason Enemy Stat Adjustment 'Normal Enemies' is not set to any of the predefined difficulties though, if you want the PNP specific settings without them getting a + or - based on the difficulty settings you must actually set it to that and be on a custom difficulty. It's wierd. I really do wish they had larger enemy groups or stronger variants of enemies appear on higher difficulties rather than providing an arbitrary stat increase from difficulty.

Normal Difficulty has Enemy Stat Adjustment to Weaker then Normal, Challenge difficulty has it set to stronger then normal, there is no predefined difficulty between them.

Really felt that it should have defaulted to Normal Enemies on challenging.

Other than that,

The swarm is a huge pain, but they are planning to have the quest giver to that cave explain swarms and provide the party with free alchemist fire in an upcoming update. I think they are also removing one of the wolves from the first encounter with them. People are complaining about the slaver encounter, but I think the game hints enough that it would be a difficult fight, and even if you fight it gives you the option of giving in when someone is downed and then tracking them down for a much easier fight.

I hope they don't overdo it on reducing the game difficulty from the complaints. I like it hard enough to have to think and plan my battles.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17