Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17

Author Topic: Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous CRPG  (Read 35753 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker CRPG
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2018, 09:12:41 am »

TBH I'd rather have a D&D game be brutally hard but also very faithful to 3.5e (or in a pinch PF), including all the extra bits and bobs from splatbooks, so that your cheesy hyperoptimized characters still have a rough time. At least as an option.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2018, 09:37:49 am »

I reloaded once on the slaver fight and went in with a better strategy. I tend to let the barbarian charge in to the back line and start chopping the squishies to bits, while the tank and my main character (decided on a rogue for the skillpoints. Thankfully, they built it on the unchained rogue chassis, so it works fairly well) hold the line in melee with support from the cleric. The bard threw out sleep and then started helping with shooting the casters. Now if I scrape together 2k gold, I can build a pure wizard to round out the party.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2018, 04:01:59 pm »

One major annoyance is your inability to retrain characters. I picked armor proficiency as a feat for the healer priest you get from the corrupted pool. (His cleric version receives no armor training.) Turns out he can't cast divine spells while wearing an armor. The game never told me that. So I wasted a feat and can't change it.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2018, 04:03:09 pm »

One major annoyance is your inability to retrain characters. I picked armor proficiency as a feat for the healer priest you get from the corrupted pool. (His cleric version receives no armor training.) Turns out he can't cast divine spells while wearing an armor. The game never told me that. So I wasted a feat and can't change it.

Probably the most annoying thing I encountered in the game so far

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2018, 11:42:29 pm »

Yeah, there aren't any in-depth explanations outside of the tooltips for a lot of feats/abilities/spells.  Or even for the Kingdom management side of things, which is highly annoying.  It's like you have to save your game before doing anything to make sure you don't mess up something.

Also, I'm pretty sure you need Arcane Armor Proficiencies/Mastery in order to cast magic while wearing armor.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2018, 01:24:35 am »

Yes, for normal arcane casters. Tristian is a cleric though, who normally can cast in armour. It just so happens that Tristian is the cleric subclass that makes him more like an arcane caster, so he can't use armour and use magic.

If he took that feat he'd probably could though.
Love, scriver~

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2018, 02:40:00 am »

Yes, for normal arcane casters. Tristian is a cleric though, who normally can cast in armour. It just so happens that Tristian is the cleric subclass that makes him more like an arcane caster, so he can't use armour and use magic.

If he took that feat he'd probably could though.

Nope. Any armor on him means no spellcasting

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2018, 03:14:02 am »

Even with the "you can cast in armour now bro" feat?
Love, scriver~

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2018, 10:21:09 am »

Yea, since that feat reduces the Arcane Spell Chance Failure, it won't help Tristian. The Ecclesitheurge Archetype swears an oath to never wear armour, or else they lose class features. It's a bit like how a Druid can't wear metal without losing class features, rather than how most arcane casters have a chance to whiff spells while wearing armour.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2018, 11:05:30 am »

That no spells while armored -thing is unfortunately never explained in the game, so it is an easy mistake to make. It is extremely annoying. There are other ways you can mess up, such as by taking a feat that turns out to be useless later. Even pen & paper -rules have an option for retraining, so this is just retarded. Especially when most players don't know the ruleset like the back of their hand.

Additional annoyance is the party AI. It seems much worse than those of Baldur's Gate or other such games. Mainly spellcasters will only automatically cast one spell that you select by right-cliking it. Like, what the fuck? I'd like the wizard to actually use most spells automatically and the cleric to heal people without having to micro everything. Have I missed something or is the AI really this retarded?

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2018, 12:13:16 pm »

I don’t think krs an issue of bad A.I., but of bad players that would scream to high heaven if their spellchuckers threw out anything without prompting, causing them to go in on a boss fight with only half of their expected spell compliment.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2018, 12:14:07 pm »

You could have that an option that you can turn off, plus limit which spells can be used. Other games have done it well years ago.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2018, 12:16:13 pm »

Yeah, I know. That said, I’m doing fine with the system as it is.

Aside: I lurk on reddit a lot and came across a respec tool on the Kingmaker subreddit, which should solve your issue, Majestic.

https://pathfinder.deev.io

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2018, 12:22:32 pm »

Additional annoyance is the party AI. It seems much worse than those of Baldur's Gate or other such games. Mainly spellcasters will only automatically cast one spell that you select by right-cliking it. Like, what the fuck? I'd like the wizard to actually use most spells automatically and the cleric to heal people without having to micro everything. Have I missed something or is the AI really this retarded?

Have you unticked "AI doesn't use expendable spells" in the game settings? It's not even buried somewhere far down, it's the fourth item in the settings.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2018, 02:48:31 pm »

Huh, didn't notice that. The inability to customize AI roles still remains, though. Unless I've missed that too somehow. What I'm meaning is telling the AI of a character to behave like a healer or a blaster or the like.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17