Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17

Author Topic: Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous CRPG  (Read 35440 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous CRPG
« Reply #210 on: December 06, 2019, 04:10:16 am »

I am interested.
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 01, 2020, 05:53:40 pm »

I've revisited Kingmaker (again).
I dumped my old save (vivisectionist monk dex build. It worked well but relied too much on backstab damage and it was a bit of an one trick pony).
Sooo after considering a few exotic builds I decided to go back to the basics and throw in a Sylvan Sorcerer. Idea was to keep it simple: focus on summons and crowd control, and use your pet as a tank (I also decided not to minmax the pet and use the lizard for rule of cool).  Before embarking in the main game I wanted to do a trial run on the endless dungeon (Beneath the Stolen lands). So I did that.

That was a week ago. I *still* havent started in the main campaign. I'm just having too much of a blast with my solo run in the endless dungeon. And I'm finding interesting things:

- main problem are the first couple of levels. While you can do them full solo, it's a bit too random (specially in challenging difficulty and beyond). Two bad rolls of the dice can get your pet killed and you lack offense at that point. So I'm kind of bringing a crutch character (monk or monk paladin) until the sorcerer finds his feet, usually at level 2-3.

- after that companions help but arent that needful. Between his core spells and use magic device he can deal with most situations. I also boost his trickery skill. I let the lizard do the spotting though.

-the pet is very vital for this. For early levels buff spells give you far more mileage than the early shitty summons (even boosted)

- I've found things about crutch characters too! In particular, I think I was doing my vivisectionist/monk wrong. I put too much int in, with the idea of getting all vivi spells. But  in hindsight the ones I used relatively frequently were within the first 4 levels.  That char would have gone better by investing less in int. I think vivis are made or unmade by their inventions. Spells are nice but for the most part secondary for the build. In a pinch you can use someone else for buffing up.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 02, 2020, 04:35:22 am »

Hullo, an opinion from the experts here please:

I'm considering dusting it one level of thug into my char, for two things, mainly: the spammable,   AOE fear effect, and the extra class skills.

I think I could pull it off in main campaign around level 3 or 4 without too much consequence, as you get a lot of mileage out of a buffed pet.

Edit: I think I'm NOT going to do that because single class sylvan sorcerer is stupidly powerful and dedicating any level to something else is just procastinating becoming even more stupidly powerful. Like I said before, in my solo run I've been relying on use magic device for poison and death wards. Now I've found that, with polymorph, I might be able to do away it at least poison (maybe death ward as well?) By polying my pet into something that is immune to whatever.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 03:18:58 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 04, 2020, 05:29:25 pm »

The Kickstarter is live. And pretty far along already.

It's returning with all the previous classes and races, but also with the Dhampir race and five new classes. Dhampirs are the half-living children of vampires, while the five new classes are Arcanist, Bloodrager, Shaman, Oracle, and Witch. There will also be five archetypes for each class this time, instead of three. There's no mention of whether the previous archetypes or Prestige Classes will all be returning, however.

The Mythic ruleset in the game will differ greatly from the actual tabletop game, turning you into one of six mythical beings. If anyone can't see the image, the options are Angel, Lich, Aeon, Trickster, Demon, and Azata. Though you can also forgo Mythic entirely, picking the path of the Legend for a more difficult playthrough.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In place of kingdom management, there will be an army management segment, which will feature stronghold building, unit hiring, and artifact recovery.

Other noted features include ten companions, a non-linear story, a full 360-degree rotating camera, and an enhanced tutorial for those less familiar with the rules.

There's no stretch goals at the moment, but there are 'social goals', for spreading the news around enough on social media. If anyone can't see the goal rewards, they include official wallpapers, the Winter Witch Prestige Class, more haircuts and beard styles, the Traits and Backgrounds from Pathfinder's 2nd Edition, more music, official mod support, a Kingmaker cameo of some sort, and a new romance option for the Queen.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There's also add-on options, such as alpha-build access and physical items like stickers or clothing.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 04, 2020, 06:19:51 pm »

PTW

I stayed away from PF:K because of the bugs but picked it up in a recent sale and am happy with it. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do in the future.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 05, 2020, 02:18:57 am »

Sounds actually... better? Than PF-KM main campaign? With a more dynamic strategic layer? We'll have to wait and see how's the implementation

PTW

I stayed away from PF:K because of the bugs but picked it up in a recent sale and am happy with it. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do in the future.
Yah I was very frustrated with the bugs when it came out.  But tbh I dont regrtet getting the expansion pass because it shaped up well.  Tbh I'm enjoying the roguelike campaign more than I should.

I'll probably get the whole season pass again when it comes out, but I probably wont kickstart much less throw in 100$ for beta access (if KM was so buggy at release I dread to think what it feels like to play the beta  🤣
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 02:23:50 am by ChairmanPoo »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 05, 2020, 01:18:18 pm »

Hey is PF:k worth the 40 USD price tag, or should I wait for a sale?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 05, 2020, 05:13:21 pm »

That's a hard question to answer. I paid more money to get the season pass early on. But I kind of feel that unless you have a specific itch to play it *right now* you could probably wait.  Not because of the game itself, which is a rough diamond, but because in general I feel wasteful when I cough up more than 20-30€ for a single game

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 05, 2020, 05:30:05 pm »

I've really enjoyed it, and it's stable now, but I prefer to buy things on sale.

Kickstarter stretch goals have been released. The Warpriest class was the first goal, and has already been broken. Next is a new companion, a Tiefling Eldritch Scoundrel. After that it looks like it might be mounted combat.

The Warpriest's archetypes are Feral Champion, Shieldbearer, Champion of the Faith, Disenchanter, and Cult Leader. The companion, Woljif, is a Rogue who can function as a vendor, and is greedy and boastful.

Edit: Back at home and on a computer, I'll expand a bit on the Warpriest.

The Warpriest is a Hybrid class of the Cleric and the Fighter, with bonus combat feats and access to spells up to level 6. Focusing more on martial prowess than the Cleric, Warpriests can empower the favored weapon of their deity, or of any weapon they have Weapon Focus in, as well as their armour. They also have Blessings, which are similar to Cleric domains. What may be their most defining ability is called Fervor, which is a resource pool that can be used to either heal themselves or allies, or to cast spells faster.

The Feral Champion grows claws in place of empowering a weapon, while also gaining the ability to change into animals, like a Druid. The Shieldbearer empowers shields instead of their deity's favored weapon. The Champion of the Faith is capable of Smiting enemies, similar to the Paladin. The Disenchanter can provide allies with bonuses to their saves against magic, and can expend Fervor to use Dispel Magic. Finally, the Cult Leader is a stealthy, more Rogue-ish archetype, capable of Sneak Attacking and even hiding in plain sight.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 08:50:04 pm by BlackFlyme »

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 05, 2020, 11:05:32 pm »

If you really enjoyed something like BG/BG2 and are looking to scratch that sort of itch, then maybe. It's probably too easy to make brokenly OP characters (but of course you don't have to and character building is a lot of the game). Flanking/sneak attacking is too easy, no probably about that. And yet don't try to make a character who sneaks around backstabbing stuff like a BG rogue player can (in melee). A rogue in this game seems more like a DPS role from something like WoW. They aren't essential or even very important for traps, either. Alignment stuff in conversations is clumsily implemented but that's hard to escape when you are dealing with a D&D alignment type system. Also don't expect stellar companion NPCs. I'd say the companions lean closer to a NWN style and depth than BG, but early days for me still. Oh, and if you have a deep aversion to time limits on quests in RPGs you may be annoyed. The time limit is generous but it just ticks some people off of on principle (I'm sometimes one of those people).

Those are my thoughts, early in the game as I am (I'm not up to kingdom management). Otherwise it's great, if you like the genre. I haven't had issues with bugs.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 06, 2020, 01:09:11 am »

Yeah I can attest to the above. Mind you, don't think broken mechanics make the game easy as they are broken both ways, and by means of adjustment the devs ramped up the stats of every single monster.  So... tbh I get a similar feeling mechanics wise as from phoenix point: flawed gem with rough edges, but it works out in the end.

Re characters I also agree that they are overall rather flat in the main campaign. I... honestly can't think of any exceptions. I get the feeling that it'd have been better if they went with a fully or mostly custom party (with maybe generic banter), and invested more in key characters. Also kingdom management leaves something to be desired.
Varnhold's Lot characters are better, though. I think Maevar and Cephal were fairly well written, and in fact manage to pull off their D&D alignments in a non-asinine manner.

Also worth noting: there's a roguelike campaign attached with random dungeons. I enjoyed it quite a bit.  Very replayable, can test out different builds and party compositions.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 08, 2020, 10:11:25 pm »

Looks like more goals have been hit since I last checked.

Not only is Mounted Combat in, the Cavalier class is as well. The Cavalier is a knight in shining armour, atop a steadfast steed. They belong to a variety of Orders that determine some of their abilities, with the three confirmed Orders being Dragon, Staff, and Cockatrice. They also carry a Banner, and gain bonus teamwork feats, with which they bolster their allies, but one of their major features is their Challenge. It grants bonuses against a chosen opponent, similar to a Paladin's Smite, but its effects can change depending on the Order you belong to.

The five archetypes have already been confirmed as well. There's the Gendarme, which specializes more in mounted combat than in tactics. The Beast Rider, which rides a more monstrous creature than the typical warhorse. The Standard Bearer, which focuses more on benefiting their allies than on combat, delaying their Mount and charging capabilities for greater benefits for their banner. The Knight of the Wall, also known as the Knight of Arnisant, which prefers to protect allies over using Teamwork feats. Finally, the Disciple of the Pike, which forgoes their mount in exchange for greater specialization in polearms and monster hunting.

After this stretch goal is Dismemberment, which will be a more detailed system for limb loss. Though whether this is just fancy visuals or something like the tabletop's Called Shot rules has yet to be determined, to my knowledge. The news post on the goal talked more about the Lich path than dismemberment.

Next are two more Mythic Paths: the Gold Dragon and the Swarm-that-Walks. Gold dragon is straightforward enough; as you get more powerful, you become a dargon. A Swarm-that-Walks is a variant of the existing Worm-that-Walks, inspired by a short story called The Festival, by Lovecraft. When a spellcaster dies, but refuses to let go, their tormented soul may possess a swarm of insects. In this case, we are a swarm of locusts, devouring all our their path.

The current stretch goal to be met is to add in one of three new races: Catfolk, Ratfolk, or Kitsune. After that, it looks like the next goal may have something to do with animal companions.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 08, 2020, 10:20:12 pm »

Now all we need is a dragon mount
Love, scriver~

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 08, 2020, 10:39:12 pm »

If the next stretch goal is for Exotic Animal Companions, there's always the chance it could include Drakes. Maybe people won't be upset about them this time, either.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 08, 2020, 10:53:35 pm »

I just hope we get dinosaurs.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17