Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I think I might have gotten scammed again  (Read 1963 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I think I might have gotten scammed again
« on: June 07, 2017, 04:59:56 pm »

So if anybody followed the generic computer advice thread, they may have known that my mom's email account was hacked. We resolved it thankfully but it seems like the con-men have struck again.

This time I got a phone call from a mysterious phone number. It was 00-0000

I was an idiot and decided to pick it up. I didn't hear anything so I said "Hello?, no answer so I then said "I can't hear you".

I then got a response...

It was one of the creepiest voices I ever heard. It was this deliberately uncanny computerized female voice and it said "Good bye."

I then immediately hung up because it was clear that some shady shit was going on. Now I wonder, have I fallen into the trap of yet another scam? If so, what should I do about this one? The only advice I could find online was call the police, but I don't want to resort to such drastic measures yet. I'll probably cross-post this in the terrified thread in order to reach as many people as possible.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: I think I might have gotten scammed again
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 05:03:09 pm »

There is, thankfully, no way I know of to inject any malware via a call. It's a prank, an annoyance, nothing more.

Good intro to a creepy pasta though.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 05:10:25 pm »

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/01/27/can-hear-me-scam-has-police-urging-people-to-hang-up-immediately.html

It may not be malware but that's just one way people can rob you just by calling you. I've also heard some stuff about premium phone lines that tax your phone bill if you pick up a phone from a caller that's using one.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 06:10:28 pm »

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/01/27/can-hear-me-scam-has-police-urging-people-to-hang-up-immediately.html

It may not be malware but that's just one way people can rob you just by calling you. I've also heard some stuff about premium phone lines that tax your phone bill if you pick up a phone from a caller that's using one.

Yep, but again, it's not something you need to worry too much about as long as you train yourself to always ask 'who is calling?' or some variant thereof.  As for premium numbers, you have to call them, not the other way around.

Be calm. Think clearly. Don't become flustered. Do those three things and you will not be victim to wetware hacking.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 06:54:34 pm »

In a near future, somewhere in court.

"Defendant, why did you lie to the police, and tell them 'no', while you should have said 'yes'?"
"C'mon judge, everyone in their right mind knows that saying 'yes' in a non-secure space will bankrupt you for life."
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 05:22:58 pm »

Here is something you might not have heard before. Going directly to a computer or phone while hacking typically doesn't work as well as you have been led to believe by television. Too much encryption. But if your phone is connected via Bluetooth to something like a light bulb, which is becoming more and more common, they can hack into the light bulb and then jump from that to your phone. The light bulb already has access to your phone, but nobody thinks to install McAfee onto a light bulb. So if you are having trouble with hackers, I encourage you to disable connections with Bluetooth devices. This will maximize your digital safety.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 02:57:52 pm »

So if anybody followed the generic computer advice thread, they may have known that my mom's email account was hacked. We resolved it thankfully but it seems like the con-men have struck again.

This time I got a phone call from a mysterious phone number. It was 00-0000

I was an idiot and decided to pick it up. I didn't hear anything so I said "Hello?, no answer so I then said "I can't hear you".

I then got a response...

It was one of the creepiest voices I ever heard. It was this deliberately uncanny computerized female voice and it said "Good bye."

I then immediately hung up because it was clear that some shady shit was going on. Now I wonder, have I fallen into the trap of yet another scam? If so, what should I do about this one? The only advice I could find online was call the police, but I don't want to resort to such drastic measures yet. I'll probably cross-post this in the terrified thread in order to reach as many people as possible.

Lol I've had that before. It's just a robocaller messing up. It usually happens when a cold-calling agency has no agents at the time to be directed to your line.

Though I'm not sure why you think it has anything to do with scams.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 03:00:24 pm by Caz »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 04:25:26 pm »

Aren't all robo-calls scams?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 01:47:15 pm »

Aren't all robo-calls scams?

...No.