Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: No-armor tactics  (Read 3856 times)

Jenz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No-armor tactics
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 04:58:58 pm »

Keep it coming! :D

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2017, 02:09:25 am »

While it is possible to survive without it, going armorless in DF is not really recommended.  The minor speed penalty is quickly offset by armor user skill, and a single bad roll can cost you an arm or a leg, so anything that reduces that chance is highly sought after.

Going weaponless, on the other hand, is quite viable.  You can catch an enemy's weapon and pull it away from them, pull off their armor, choke them out, break their joints, and so on.  Check out Kisar Dur for more info.

Blue_J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 12:11:50 pm »

Also try wrestling weak forest creatures to train your dodge, shield, and attributes before recruiting companions.

Careful though. It will raise their stats as much as it raises yours, so you can get grimelings going on killing sprees.

Right now, this is the most important thing I do in adventure mode. Once you have Legendary+ Armor User, Shield, Dodge, Wrestling, and Fighter, training up any other fighting skill is a breeze.

There is some nuance in how to do this efficiently, though. You want to train up Armor User before Shield, and Shield before Dodge, because once dodge is sufficiently high enemies won't usually hit you even if you're on the ground. I also like to use Horseshoe Crabs for this, because their worst attack is a "push," and they're tiny.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2017, 05:22:11 am »

Whatever happened to that unarmed manual that was on here? All you have to do is fight smart. Whenever I read recommendations on how you have to pretrain your every defensive skill with hours of unchallenging, unfun routine before you can grow a pair and just go adventure, I'm reminded of when I started in a city as an outsider and ran into a rampaging vampire before I could even reach the nearest warehouse. I used everything in that handbook to survive, and with nothing but a copper dagger against a faster, stronger opponent, it was all I needed (didn't use the spear because it doesn't dismember as well.)

Use patience, timing and observation. Keep the one-tick key under one hand and use the attack key to see what your opponent is doing. Until you get your observation and speed high enough, do less attacking, more observing and dodging. Don't attack when it isn't advantageous, and don't take the exclamation point to be the best guide to when that is. Because your opponents autoattack, they will attack at every opportunity whether advantageous or not, and you can exploit this to your advantage. Emulating them is what gets your companions killed.

When you're able to predict your opponent's attack, continue to defend and watch how soon their followup attack is. Use attack key to check their combat pose, whether they're recovering from last attack, or starting another, or that 1 tick between which shows no message. When you get a feel for their attack and recovery time, you can make better judgments on when you can most safely land attacks. Just doing this will improve your survival skills and attributes.

Counter the attack: Even if you have a shield, your best counter is to strike what they're striking with. For example, if they strike with a left punch or a weapon wielded in the left hand, hit that hand with one of your quicker attacks. Doesn't matter if it's an impossible attack, it will still deflect the strike. If you have a free hand you could also grab with it, but be sure to dodge before it lands so that you disengage in the same tick and aren't locked in place next turn. Doing these naturally improve your offensive skills until you can confidently disarm attacks.

Jenz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2017, 03:06:17 am »

Thanks! I think im getting there. I somehow managed to kill a cyclops with a short sword (as a goblin). And it was the first thing I did (and I forgot to tell I was wearing no armor) also! Yay, now I am happy.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2017, 01:39:51 pm »

Here it is, The Principles of Kisat Dur: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148015.0

I've never tried to be a purist in the form, but everything in there is applicable to any fighting. This is the Book of Five Rings for dwarves.
Pages: 1 [2]