Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Titanium and furniture coloring?  (Read 2898 times)

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
Titanium and furniture coloring?
« on: June 09, 2017, 02:36:02 pm »

I know to not use the Masterwork wiki since it's so horribly out of date but I noticed nothing anywhere on how to get Titanium I just found it's a decorative metal. I was curious on how I would go about getting it such as workshop and material. I grabbed some rutile on embark since I know rl it is used for Titanium but I'm not seeing anything in my workshops to melt it or to make titanium at all. Is it not in Masterwork anymore? Or am I just missing something else such as a material/using wrong workshop, tried the smelter and didn't see it. Was hoping to make some shiny titanium furnishings if it still is more of a decorative metal but I can't seem to get it started and couldn't find anything to help. I was also curious if there was a way to color the furniture too once made I thought the dyer studio would but makes sense it doesn't do that. Brick oven I thought would've based on the in game info for it...would kinda prefer to keep my stuff all blue and purple but if that means I need to make it with gemstone or something that's okay I guess, only seen blue and green gems so far; still fairly new to things in this mod and I took a long hiatus from DF been binge playing it lately with this very awesome mod.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Titanium and furniture coloring?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 07:50:45 pm »

The orcs can grind titanium into powder at the millstone or damascus forge.
they can also make bars of it at the blacksmoke workshop...

but by all that I can find they are the only ones who can do anything to actually make titanium.

the dwarves do have some titanium seeking reactions... in particular a titanium golem, and titanium runes... which calls for titanium coating, which happens to be titanium... so with all the issues... it seems you need to find titanium goods and melt them down for titanium bars... because no one added reactions for dwarves to use titanium.

Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 08:32:29 pm »

So I cannot use a stone that should in theory turn into Titanium bars? I'm using dwarves and embarked with a Titanium bearing stone or what would in theory be one. Was hoping to make like a Titanium shelf or something but then if possible color it to match the rest of the fort. I've not fiddled with Orcs or humans yet have done a little with Kobolds and some with Succubi but still  been mostly using dwarves. I also have yet to have a merchant with anything made of Titanium which is rather annoying I figured I'd have seen it by now with this caravan showing up fairly often and rutile being something I could have for where I embarked. Then again I'm not sure if that stone behaves like in the real world with producing titanium. Was really wanting titanium furniture for my nobles with gems and stuff on top of that but it sounds like I won't be able to do that.... :(

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 08:47:23 pm »

well tell me a reaction you are not using, and have no plans to use, that you would like a quick script to make titanium from and where you would you think it should be done at?  I'm surprised the metallurgist or the alchemist doesn't have it...

I can toss a reaction together if your willing to edit your save raws.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 09:17:38 pm »

So turn your game completely off.

In your save folder(dwarf fortress/data/save/{region name}/raws) go to these 2 files and make these 2 changes.

in inorganic_stone_mineral.txt
find the rutile and ilmenite and add this line to their definitions at the end of each:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION_CLASS:TITANIUM_ORE]

Some reaction your not going to use; say PEWTER_TRIFLE_MAKING in reaction_smelter.txt
replace the previous reaction with this:
Code: [Select]
[NAME:Extract titanium from rutile or ilmenite]
[BUILDING:METALLURGIST:NONE]
[BUILDING:MAGMA_METALLURGIST:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[REACTION_CLASS:TITANIUM_ORE]
[REAGENT:B:1:BOULDER:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[REACTION_CLASS:FLUX]
[REAGENT:oil:150:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[UNROTTEN]
[HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SOAP_MAT]
[REAGENT:oil container:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[CONTAINS:oil]
[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
-REAGENT:F:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_VIAL_ACID:NONE:NONE- Orcs require this... no acid vials for dwarves, yet...
[PRODUCT:100:4:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:TITANIUM]
[PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:SMELT]

afterwards reload the entire game and reload the game save, everything should load up just fine if you made the correct changes and didn't add any new definitions(I hope reaction_class doesn't create a new definition).  and you should see the reaction in the metallurgist and viola! you have titanium.

I have no idea what color it is.... so post us some images of titanium goods when you get a chance.

These have been added to the 1.28 version of MDF which I plan to upload next week.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 12:27:05 am »

Like I said before I feel like I'm using the wrong workshop but I am unsure. Alchemist I can't make yet as I've not found orichalcum nor found a way for getting that. I'm starting to think based on the reaction you've made it would be metallurgist would have it not built that one yet, I figured smelter since that was for melting anything as far as I understood even in the mod. The metallurgist was to make pure metals or is that incorrect somewhere? Like I said I was curious on what I need to do to make the stuff more so for dwarves as I'm fairly new to the mod....still not had any news on the coloring of things made of the metal yet either...so is that then just impossible?

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 02:24:33 am »

...  Alchemist I can't make yet as I've not found orichalcum nor found a way for getting that. ...

Orichalcum shows up randomly during all other smelt jobs, it's magic like that. Just smelt all your ores on repeat and you'll turn up 1-5 extra bars of it.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 11:33:27 am »

...  Alchemist I can't make yet as I've not found orichalcum nor found a way for getting that. ...

Orichalcum shows up randomly during all other smelt jobs, it's magic like that. Just smelt all your ores on repeat and you'll turn up 1-5 extra bars of it.

Okay that's nifty thanks for that bit...dang this wiki being so terribly out of date xD Don't wanna asked so many questions but almost feel like I have to. ^^;

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 07:26:56 pm »

Yeah and make sure you refine your ore through the ore processor first, as that allows more orichalcum to appear and may provide other additional materials.

I just sort of threwn that reaction together, that's why it says replace a reaction your not using... and pewter are some of the reactions I never use.  The additions to inorganic were required to make it take any titanium bearing rock.  The rest of the reaction is oil from any soap material, flux and fuel...

But anyways I targeted the metallurgist in it because it seemed right... i could have targeted the crucible or any of a number of buldings... personally it doesn't matter to me, but I think it would be off if the bower shop made titanium.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 08:00:47 pm by Amostubal »
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

coolphoton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 10:49:39 pm »

Was the crucible removed from dorfs? That use to be were you got titanium and wolfram....but I still mostly play ye old, so I have no idea.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 03:26:46 am »

still in. but someone removed the titanium reactions from it

Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 03:28:24 pm »

Alchemist's Workshop even has them removed, was hoping to use that to get some but the option isn't in there anymore unlike what the manual says. Just gonna use the mass of gold I brought instead I guess can't find any titanium it seems with dwarves unless I edit files, which I don't mind doing but I'd rather not fiddle with it. Still not had my bit with furniture coloring answered ah well.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 08:10:11 pm »

Still not had my bit with furniture coloring answered ah well.

Okay so you want to maintain a certain color of furniture?

you can use the brick oven to make colored brick and then use it at the stone crafter shop that uses blocks to make furniture.  or you can use certain colors of gems to make gem furniture at the similar gem crafter shop.  otherwise you can dye cloth, then quilt the cloth and apply that to the furniture you make... done at the embroidery shops/dye shops.  I'm not sure of the results... I've never used the buildings, but I know what they do.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 10:07:33 am »

Okay was worried I couldn't say dye something made of mithril to a blue. I didn't know what exactly embroidery did so that's a bit of help ^^ Guess I'll need to test those with some furniture then to see what it can do.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 10:11:15 am »

Okay was worried I couldn't say dye something made of mithril to a blue. I didn't know what exactly embroidery did so that's a bit of help ^^ Guess I'll need to test those with some furniture then to see what it can do.

post the results!  I really want to know what it does... I wish I had time to play with every option... but I can't do it all, lol.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
Pages: [1] 2