Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Has anyone really tried 'slower learning/farming'?  (Read 1674 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Has anyone really tried 'slower learning/farming'?
« on: June 08, 2017, 06:50:48 pm »

I've always felt these parts of the game needed some challenge, but the mods up till now have gone way overboard.  Can anyone comment on the current state of these options?

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone really tried 'slower learning/farming'?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 08:42:52 pm »

I've always felt these parts of the game needed some challenge, but the mods up till now have gone way overboard.  Can anyone comment on the current state of these options?

yes I've used them, yes they make farming take about twice as long for most plants.  and skill upgrades take about twice as long (if the character isn't in a speed up caste, like the dwarf guilds.)
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 08:48:06 pm »

yes I've used them, yes they make farming take about twice as long for most plants.  and skill upgrades take about twice as long (if the character isn't in a speed up caste, like the dwarf guilds.)
Sounds about right.  IIRC, the default grow time is 1 season, and the yield is based on Farmer skill, so this would make it 2 seasons (which seems more reasonable).

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 01:09:51 pm »

While I haven't yet I've been tempted to do so with farming at least if only to help with seed cap control since you can hit it very quickly with the default speed and not have to try too hard to do so.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 11:20:10 am »

I found a bug which I can only assume is related.  Brand new fort, bought 80 Urists of assorted meat & eggs.  I built a kitchen shortly after embark and created easy meals.  ~1 week later (less than 2 months in), my stocks screen shows zero food, and Dorfs are getting hungry :(  No thefts or other destruction.  Unless my critters are suddenly eating stuff, something is causing a rapid consumption of prepared meals.

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 03:30:54 pm »

I found a bug which I can only assume is related.  Brand new fort, bought 80 Urists of assorted meat & eggs.  I built a kitchen shortly after embark and created easy meals.  ~1 week later (less than 2 months in), my stocks screen shows zero food, and Dorfs are getting hungry :(  No thefts or other destruction.  Unless my critters are suddenly eating stuff, something is causing a rapid consumption of prepared meals.

Dwarves will prefer those to raw foods so it's not really a glitch but if you have a lot of prepared food they'll eat a fair bit of it up. Normally I hold off until it gets closer to caravan time so I can use some for trading and some for actual dwarves to eat. But yeah if you have a lot of it especially if it outnumbers the amount of raw and or other foods they will eat the prepared over the other stuff which brings down stock of prepared food fairly quickly.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 08:00:10 pm »

also you might wnt to make sure there isn't an access error occuring... I've come across this several times, that for some reason certain shops will produce goods and the goods wont be available to the units.  check the shop and ensure its not full of items even though your counts say 0, if it is then deconstruct the shop and use D-B-C over the goods that fall out, and the dwarves will suddenly stockpile it and begin to use it...  I' don't know what causes this bug, but it seems to have something to do with setting a zone(such as a meeting hall) that includes the shop area or building a shop inside of such, an previously established zone.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 05:38:10 pm »

also you might wnt to make sure there isn't an access error occuring... I've come across this several times, that for some reason certain shops will produce goods and the goods wont be available to the units.  check the shop and ensure its not full of items even though your counts say 0, if it is then deconstruct the shop and use D-B-C over the goods that fall out, and the dwarves will suddenly stockpile it and begin to use it...  I' don't know what causes this bug, but it seems to have something to do with setting a zone(such as a meeting hall) that includes the shop area or building a shop inside of such, an previously established zone.
You're a wizard Harry.  I had piled the contents of my wagon (including critters) in front of the entrance, for fear of the local wolverine population.  I deconstructed the kitchen, and ~60 biscuits exploded outwards in a great rain of foody goodness.  Unfortunately Thankfully, no Dwarf was injured by the flying biscuits.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 09:57:34 pm »

so the shop was inside of a zone?  that would be 1 more confirmation, for me... it used to be that zones over depots would make it impossible to remove the goods from the depot and would keep you from dezoning the shop... I make sure that no shop is inside of a zone because of that and when a loom wouldn't give me its cloth, same thing.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group