Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: ERRANT: UFO Defense Redux  (Read 11223 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ERRANT: UFO Defense Redux
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2017, 02:54:08 pm »

What, really? We're resorting to war crimes this early? Come on, Glass :(

As for the plan, I strongly object to the north and west tear gas zones, which will mostly hit civilians.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2017, 02:56:57 pm »

Vahlen is not a war crime. Vahlen is a scientist.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2017, 05:02:51 pm »

The north wall is literally on a forest, why would there be a lot of civilians in a forest?  The west one is overlapping a school and another building, yes, but the school is already overrun and it's very important to keep those ayys from advancing further if we end up assaulting from point A.

We're fighting in an urban area, I think it's better to try and contain the enemy forces than let them spread out with impunity.  Sure, some people will get teargassed, but controlling the enemy forces will overall limit casualties. 

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2017, 05:40:14 pm »

Both zones are near houses. If there's wind blowing in either direction, you're going to gas houses with your heavy saturation tear gassing.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2017, 05:50:04 pm »

Listen, how about we just teargas the ship itself and not do a whole perimeter thing?

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2017, 08:31:48 pm »

Most enemies are outside the ship, and it's already risky to send our airforce so close.  If we had some guarantee that everything won't just be shot down, I'd be happy to do that (indeed, it's my plan if nothing is shot down during the first two runs), but we don't.

Here, how about this; six smoke grenades cost the same amount as one teargas grenade.  We retroactively change the pepsimen loadouts to have five teargasses and six smokes, and the initial walls are deployed using the smoke.  No warcrimes, no crying civvies, no disabled aliens.  We don't have any guarantee that teargas works on them anyway, so it's not even a penalty in the worst case scenario.

Aigre, if Glass and Nirur agree, can we please do the above?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2017, 08:36:14 pm »

No further complaints here.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2017, 08:43:23 pm »

Sounds good with me. Carry on.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2017, 09:46:42 pm »

No warcrimes, no crying civvies, no disabled aliens.
None of those are very much of a guarantee, because smoke is still quite a bit harder to breathe than air.
Really I think that teargas isn't worth it, as you pay six times as much for only a little bit more disabling power. Would be better spent on making more smoke.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2017, 12:32:33 am »

They're both so ridiculously cheap in comparison to everything else that the minor possible utility gained is worth the 600% higher price, IMO.  I deemed $300,000 of Trump's budget to be essentially unused, and that's not including the two-hundred ten grenades he and his mook have in hammerspace.  I could've used that money to buy another thousand teargasses, or six thousand smokes, but I doubt there'd be use for even so much as forty of either type.

Suppose it's an accurate statement for the mooks, though.  It's reasonable that at least one squad might need more than thirty smokes, for deploying big walls.  At least now they have 66 per squad.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2017, 02:01:37 am »

Retroactively make sure Nox, Emma, Halthor, and Han get thermal cams, and that Shin and Nox's mook get a thermal cam and gas mask as well.

Then, deploy using this plan:
Spoiler: Plan (click to show/hide)

Most enemies are outside the ship, and it's already risky to send our airforce so close.  If we had some guarantee that everything won't just be shot down, I'd be happy to do that (indeed, it's my plan if nothing is shot down during the first two runs), but we don't.

Here, how about this; six smoke grenades cost the same amount as one teargas grenade.  We retroactively change the pepsimen loadouts to have five teargasses and six smokes, and the initial walls are deployed using the smoke.  No warcrimes, no crying civvies, no disabled aliens.  We don't have any guarantee that teargas works on them anyway, so it's not even a penalty in the worst case scenario.

Aigre, if Glass and Nirur agree, can we please do the above?

Ere we go ere we go ere we go...

4 of the light copters approach from the west, one attempting to drop smoke on the north tree line, the other swinging south to do the same around the school.

3 squads of 5 grey alien scouts fire a volley at the first 2 copters with their "ray guns" D20:(1, 3 ,16 ,8 ,14 ,3 ,5 ,4 ,11 ,14 ,13, 17, 3, 7, 16)+1 at DC10 They suffer 1 weapons malfunction, but it was merely jammed.  They score 7 hits.

They roll weapon strength 3+d10 against a toughness of 2 for the light helicopters DC5+2 D10:(1, 7 ,9, 1 ,8 ,2 ,7), and score 4 penetrating hits! The 2 light helicopters take 2 wounds each and begin to crash.

Another squad of 5 fires at the other 2 copters. (8, 15, 14, 4, 16)+1 at DC10 They score 3 hits! D10:(7, 4, 3)+3 at DC5+2 And they score 1 penetrating hit. 1 of the light helicopters is starting to smoke.

The 2 pilots of the copters that are not crashing yet, take morale tests d20+3 for trump speech after-effect: (4,18)+3... The damaged one turns around and flees back towards the heavy helicopter. The other one bravely pushes forward and throws smoke grenades around the road leading to the highschool.

Dex test for mooks: D20: (5). Mooks can't get bonuses on these kinds of things. The unit of pepsimen fumble about with their smoke grenades while the pilot attempts to evade the ray gun fire. A couple go out the door, one ignites in the passenger compartment... which quickly spreads to the cockpit and blinds the pilot.

The first 2 helicopters will crash next turn. Right now they are spinning hopelessly on the way to the ground while everyone is trapped inside. Nina is packing a surgical suite, so if any survive the crash, I'm sure Nina can put the broken people back again and march them straight into battle!

1 damaged Helicopter is retreating, but can be rallied. Another one is hovering about in midair while blinded by smoke from the inside.

And this is what happens when the pawns move first!

We want to capture aliens, Trump, not just kill them all. We need them for Vahlen.

Be on the lookout for alien movement; if I see one, shoot at it. That is, go on overwatch.

Glass, seeing the enemy movement in the tree line, vengefully fires at them with one of the heavy autocannons from 300 meters away. (13+2,3+2,15+2) DC14
He scores 2 hits
(5+6, 4+6) DC 5+1
And scores 2 wounds (of 5 and 4 damage)
But the enemy gets a light cover save in the woodland D6:(6, 4), 5 up. And only one is hit, while the other shots blow up several logs. One grey alien scout takes 4 damage.
Only 18 rounds were fired in that burst.

A limb is blown cleanly off! The alien scout is disarmed! It is bleeding! It decides to collapse in shock!

Spoiler: Mi-26 Heavy Helicopter (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Swine Log (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Trump (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Glass Nox (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Nurir Emma (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Smokemirrors Han (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Egan Nina (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 11:06:24 pm by Aigre Excalibur »
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2017, 03:14:34 am »

"Can we land now? That would be nice. I think I want to be on the ground now thanks."
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2017, 08:24:51 am »

*groans*

That didn't work out terribly well...
Yeah, let's land.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2017, 09:03:22 am »

What a target rich environment. Perfect for heavy autocannons!

Fly in while dodging erratically and laughing maniaclly, roughly following arrow 2. Land on the roof of the school, door guns facing north/south.

"Gun them down, guys, we got this!"
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 05:34:46 pm by Nirur Torir »

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2017, 10:33:28 am »

Sounds interesting and in the spirit of Xcom I'll join as an Doorkicker

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Inventory
Weapons
Hand axe (Dam 2)                       $1000
Auto gun (Dam 2) (ammo 100)    $1000+100
Armor
Flak armor (Tough +2, Life +2)    $2000
Gas mask (Gas protect)               $100
General Gear                             
2x Frag grenades (Blast 1)           $ 25?
2x Smoke grenades                     $ 25?
First aid kit                                 $100
Ration                                        $25
Beer                                           $25
Total $3500
Is that alright with everyone?

edit seeing how we have shit tons of money Can I get some thermals as well?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 10:56:55 am by killerhellhound »
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8