Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shell crafter  (Read 926 times)

ninjajack2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shell crafter
« on: June 11, 2017, 11:23:31 am »

I might be somewhat experienced in this game mod but for the life of me i cannot figure how to turn my shells into shellplate, the workshop itself seems to want TANNNED_HIDE though im not sure what that means since you do not tan shells as far as i know. also would anyone be able to tell me the difference between the shell,scaleplate, hardened leather and the usual things? also to add i wish to know if bone machetes,horn weapons and other things have actually have an edge? currently im playing asmotubols version

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shell crafter
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 09:01:23 pm »

I might be somewhat experienced in this game mod but for the life of me i cannot figure how to turn my shells into shellplate, the workshop itself seems to want TANNNED_HIDE though im not sure what that means since you do not tan shells as far as i know. also would anyone be able to tell me the difference between the shell,scaleplate, hardened leather and the usual things? also to add i wish to know if bone machetes,horn weapons and other things have actually have an edge? currently im playing asmotubols version

okay leather comes in 4 types: shell, chitin, leather, and scale.
these can be hardened into: shellplate, hardened chitin, hardened leather, and scaleplate. which is just as it sounds a harder version of the basic form and they really aren't that much different between them.  you can find their definitions in: material_template_default.txt

all of these basic form from butchering are listed as [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:TANNED_{LEATHER|SHELL|CHITIN|SCALE}]

so if you actually get shell its cleaned up at the tanner into leather through this reaction:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:TAN_A_HIDE]
[NAME:tan a hide]
[BUILDING:TANNER:CUSTOM_T]
=> These raws are inactive, while the button says YES/ON
YES_MORE_LEATHERMOD!REAGENT:A:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
YES_MORE_LEATHERMOD!USE_BODY_COMPONENT]
=> These raws are active, while the buttons says YES/ON
YES_MORE_LEATHERMOD[REAGENT:A:450:GLOB:NONE:NONE:NONE]
YES_MORE_LEATHERMOD[REACTION_CLASS:SKIN]
[UNROTTEN]
[HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:SKIN_TANNED:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:TAN_MAT]
[SKILL:TANNER]
[AUTOMATIC]
automatically.  after that it should be able to hardened into shellplate. through the reaction:
[REACTION:TAN_A_HIDE_SHELL]
[NAME:harden shell]
[REAGENT:A:1:SKIN_TANNED:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[REACTION_CLASS:TANNED_SHELL]
[REAGENT:tallow:150:GLOB:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[REACTION_CLASS:TALLOW]
[UNROTTEN]
[HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SOAP_MAT]
there is a similar reaction for all 4 materials using the same reaction_class.

The only issue I can see that may be causing it not to be available is a "more leather mod" issue in the initial tan_a_hide reaction.

Since "more leather mod" is basically a glob system that requires you to gather enough globs to "make a piece of leather"... the glob amount is based on the size of the creature, since most shell comes from vermin their size would make the shell too small to be turned into tanned shell, so you would have to collect some 450 mussels to have enough globs to make 1 tanned shell.  If more leather is off... every single mussel would make a tanned shell... so your fisherman would be making tons of shell armor to boot along with increasing the food supply.

In one direction that makes sense...  a couple dozen mussels shouldn't be producing enough material to make full sets of armor for a dwarf.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

ninjajack2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 09:06:02 pm »

okay leather comes in 4 types: shell, chitin, leather, and scale.
these can be hardened into: shellplate, hardened chitin, hardened leather, and scaleplate. which is just as it sounds a harder version of the basic form and they really aren't that much different between them.  you can find their definitions in: material_template_default.txt

all of these basic form from butchering are listed as [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:TANNED_{LEATHER|SHELL|CHITIN|SCALE}]

so if you actually get shell its cleaned up at the tanner into leather through this reaction:
[REACTION:TAN_A_HIDE]
[NAME:tan a hide]
=> These raws are inactive, while the button says YES/ON
YES_MORE_LEATHERMOD!REAGENT:A:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
YES_MORE_LEATHERMOD!USE_BODY_COMPONENT]
=> These raws are active, while the buttons says YES/ON
YES_MORE_LEATHERMOD[REAGENT:A:450:GLOB:NONE:NONE:NONE]
YES_MORE_LEATHERMOD[REACTION_CLASS:SKIN]
[UNROTTEN]
[HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT]
[AUTOMATIC]
automatically.  after that it should be able to hardened into shellplate. through the reaction:
[REACTION:TAN_A_HIDE_SHELL]
[NAME:harden shell]
[REAGENT:A:1:SKIN_TANNED:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[REACTION_CLASS:TANNED_SHELL]
[REAGENT:tallow:150:GLOB:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[REACTION_CLASS:TALLOW]
[UNROTTEN]
[HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SOAP_MAT]
there is a similar reaction for all 4 materials using the same reaction_class.

The only issue I can see that may be causing it not to be available is a "more leather mod" issue in the initial tan_a_hide reaction.

Since "more leather mod" is basically a glob system that requires you to gather enough globs to "make a piece of leather"... the glob amount is based on the size of the creature, since most shell comes from vermin their size would make the shell too small to be turned into tanned shell, so you would have to collect some 450 mussels to have enough globs to make 1 tanned shell.  If more leather is off... every single mussel would make a tanned shell... so your fisherman would be making tons of shell armor to boot along with increasing the food supply.

In one direction that makes sense...  a couple dozen mussels shouldn't be producing enough material to make full sets of armor for a dwarf.
that i can agree with though im playing with kobolds and i still cannot use shells for nothing more then decoration which is fine i guess, my trade partners the frog demons and my own race seem to like my pearl crafts with their shells adorning them XD

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 09:12:42 pm »

yeah everyone I know that made a decent amount of shell plate, did it through raising cave turtles or some other fast breeding turtle.  and for creatures you raise you should target adults... children seem to have 1/5th or less of the material of adults.

Kobolds are best at using large and giant rats which they can embark with for leather... they reproduce at outrageous rates and keeping fully equipped and fed is fairly easy using them.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

ninjajack2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 09:18:38 pm »

yeah everyone I know that made a decent amount of shell plate, did it through raising cave turtles or some other fast breeding turtle.  and for creatures you raise you should target adults... children seem to have 1/5th or less of the material of adults.

Kobolds are best at using large and giant rats which they can embark with for leather... they reproduce at outrageous rates and keeping fully equipped and fed is fairly easy using them.

yeh personally i use scale,chitin, bonemold and cobalt, though i rarely actually use the metals for weapons which is funny since i dont use glass either if its not easily availible. currently im doing alright with my current fortress but a frost wyrm tried coming in. I have to say my ogre is either a lucky git or a strong mofo.. he punched it out and then strangled it to death