Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The decay of improperly supported fortresses over time  (Read 1512 times)

kirby2099

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
The decay of improperly supported fortresses over time
« on: June 11, 2017, 05:48:26 pm »

I have a suggestion on a structural support system (it includes mentions moving walls5) it goes like this:

every block has a support score, a stress score, and a fortress section ID
explained below

• fortress section ID
    Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  • support
  • stress

Water

Notes:

1 Only if they are very strong.
2 Only if they are very large.
3To be considered properly supported4 a tile must be surrounded by at least 5 tiles on either the same z-level or 1 z-level below.(diagonals count)
4o relation to supporting tiles(defined earlier)
5 They are currently planned to be added later in development.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 05:46:21 pm by kirby2099 »
!!SCIENCE!! makes everything better, so next time there is fire remember !!fire!! is even better.

Hello, pest control what's your problem?
I have a cat infestation.
Hello? Pest control? hello?

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: The decay of improperly supported fortresses over time
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 02:24:26 am »

If I'm understanding this right, then wouldn't a 3X3 column decay? I'm thinking that each corner piece would count as being only supported by 4 blocks - three on the same level and the one right below. The other tiles on the level below wouldn't provide much in the way of support, in my mind, because they're disconnected from the tile in question.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 01:38:50 pm »

Really maintenance and the need for structural support beams is one of the main missing elements (along with the need for air, fresh water, soil fertility replacement and sanitation) in the game that make it far, far easier to be a fantasy dwarf that it actually would be.   :)

Really we should not be able to simply open passage ways using pickaxes.  Instead pickaxes should turn the wall into a rubble wall of the same material, which other dwarves with shovels would then have to haul to the surface or some other empty space, allowing another group of dwarves with pickaxes to potentially carve off usable rock chunks for use in crafting, with each square of rock rubble containing a limited number of such rock chunks (but not actually dissapearing when they are removed). 

The need for support should depend upon the size of the tunnel or chamber AND the strength of the material the ceiling is made of.  You should be able to carve out larger chambers with less support in solid rock than you should in earth.  However weaker structural supports would be needed to hold up earth than to hold up rock, even if far more supports are needed over all; this can all be communicated to the player via a interface display by which the 'ceiling' rapidly takes damage over time unless properly supported while if the supports are installed them slowly take damage instead.  Dwarves would attempt to repair both ceiling and supports to keep the place from collapsing. 

Collapsing rooms would cause damage to nearby rooms, causing them in turn to potentially collapse, so we can get cascade effects for one part collapsing triggering the collapse of a larger area. 

sstabeler

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 04:23:33 pm »

1) actually, during the medieval era- which is roughly when DF is set- people drank mostly alcohol, because the water wasn't actually generalyl safe to drink. DF already implements a mechanism for dwarves to die of thirst if they can't get alcohol or water. They just- like in the real world at the time- prefer alcohol.
2) pit props don't actually help with an earth roof- the earth- predictably- simply flows around it. However, the important thing is that caveins normally occur due to cracks in the roof- the weight of whatever's above is pushing down, and where there's a cave, this causes an insufficiently supported roof to gradually sag- eventually causing cracks. Those cracks persist until the roof is no longer supported. When that happens- in DF and in RL- the roof collapses.
3) as for air, I presume that since dwarves have entire outposts that are only connected to the surface via tunnels to other outposts, then they have evolved ways to use either less oxygen, or to not actually need it.
4) as for soil fertility replacement, I think that's mostly because they haven't figured out how to do it yet without making it far too onerous on the player.
5) as for sanitation, again, remember that DF is set in the medieval era. Unless yu had a cesspiit, you generalyl dumped your chamberpot out the window. dwarves may simply take a crap wherever.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 08:00:45 am »

1) actually, during the medieval era- which is roughly when DF is set- people drank mostly alcohol, because the water wasn't actually generalyl safe to drink. DF already implements a mechanism for dwarves to die of thirst if they can't get alcohol or water. They just- like in the real world at the time- prefer alcohol.

A historical myth about the water not being safe to drink. 

2) pit props don't actually help with an earth roof- the earth- predictably- simply flows around it. However, the important thing is that caveins normally occur due to cracks in the roof- the weight of whatever's above is pushing down, and where there's a cave, this causes an insufficiently supported roof to gradually sag- eventually causing cracks. Those cracks persist until the roof is no longer supported. When that happens- in DF and in RL- the roof collapses.

It does work if you pave out the roof with something, but I think you are right there. 

3) as for air, I presume that since dwarves have entire outposts that are only connected to the surface via tunnels to other outposts, then they have evolved ways to use either less oxygen, or to not actually need it.

If that were supposed to be true dwarves would not drown in the water.  The reason is that the devs have not got around to, or given much thought as to how dwarves get air into their undergound fortress; since no fantasy writer has really thought of that problem.

4) as for soil fertility replacement, I think that's mostly because they haven't figured out how to do it yet without making it far too onerous on the player.

At the moment there is not enough work for dwarves to do, causing there be a glut of valuable things. 

5) as for sanitation, again, remember that DF is set in the medieval era. Unless yu had a cesspiit, you generalyl dumped your chamberpot out the window. dwarves may simply take a crap wherever.

Living confined into an underground warren means you cannot get away with behaving like that.