Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Filling mine carts with lava at an obsidian foundry?  (Read 964 times)

Artlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Filling mine carts with lava at an obsidian foundry?
« on: June 12, 2017, 01:03:31 pm »

Does anyone know if I can do this: fill magma safe mine carts with magma then pump water over top the magma to get obsidian and then recover the mine carts by digging up the obsidian. Will the carts keep their magma or will the water turn the magma contained into obsidian as well? I have an obsidian foundry already but no magma safe metal yet to try this.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
Re: Filling mine carts with lava at an obsidian foundry?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 03:39:10 pm »

Is there a reason why you dont want to simply drain the excess magma a lvl down?

Artlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 04:57:26 pm »

1. From where I have built the obsidian farm below is only magma.
2. It would be faster if this method does indeed work rather than waiting for lava to evaporate. Some tiles evaporate while others stay deadly leaving some dwarfs trailing behind when hauling the mine carts to their destinations. If this works it would get rid of all magma with every cart accessible as soon as the obsidian is mined.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 05:16:04 pm »

I don't know the answer, but I'd follow Astrid's suggestion and separate the obsidian farm from the magma hauling.

You presumably have some kind of inlet to allow magma to flow into your obsidian farm. You can have a branch of that tunnel that's 4 tiles long, build a magma safe screw pump (nether-cap or magma safe metal+magma safe rock block) on the level above, channel out both sides and install magma safe grates over the holes. The pump will then pump magma from below through one grate and pump it out onto the other. If you place your mine cart on the output tile and have walls plus a door there. Place a mine cart on the grate, set a dorf to pump for two seconds and you have a mine cart full of magma for transport.

I generally add a bunch of bridges and wall grates to secure my facilities, but that's optional.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 05:32:37 pm »

Does anyone know if I can do this: fill magma safe mine carts with magma then pump water over top the magma to get obsidian and then recover the mine carts by digging up the obsidian. Will the carts keep their magma or will the water turn the magma contained into obsidian as well? I have an obsidian foundry already but no magma safe metal yet to try this.

The magma is turned into an object when it is added to the minecart, and it is then turned from an object into a fluid when released. I would recommend getting magma safe metal and building a minecart to test what happens when you cover it in water, but I suspect nothing will happen unless the cart gets encased in obsidian.

The best solution to your obsidian farm issue is to add more water from above and remove it.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 11:49:18 am »

I think he would like to find out if this could be a way to optain magma filled minecarts(to bring them to work shops) . Someone next to a pc should test it...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 05:39:18 pm »

2. It would be faster if this method does indeed work rather than waiting for lava to evaporate. Some tiles evaporate while others stay deadly leaving some dwarfs trailing behind when hauling the mine carts to their destinations. If this works it would get rid of all magma with every cart accessible as soon as the obsidian is mined.
If you set up minecarts to be pushed/placed over an accelerating ramp into two-track/ramp pit, they'll roll out of lava on their own, without any power. Just make sure that the destination is behind a locked door, carts are dumped or something to prevent a hauling loop (or blockage of exit tile).

However, spending a minute to test it (autodump cart into magma, liquids plugin to place water on top, channel obsidian at 600 fps) confirms this indeed works.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 12:20:06 am »

Thank you for the test.
I think this method might be the easiest if you just want to move some magma for workshops without leaving any infrastructure.
As soon as getting back to play i will be using it, good thinking of the OP.
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 03:50:52 am »

Infrastructure, huh.
I like to engrave the passage down to magma sea to have carts bounce down and back up with magma without dwarfs hauling them (they're heavy),

but a bucketful of water and 1 dig designation (3 jobs total, assuming you already have a bucket & shortened to 2 if same dwarf who mines/dumps water brings bucket back up) does seem to compete with other screw pump based manual hauling designs, which require at the minimum up/downstairs into magma sea in front of pump with access hatch over it.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 03:55:02 am by Fleeting Frames »