Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kobolds and metals  (Read 1280 times)

ninjajack2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kobolds and metals
« on: June 13, 2017, 10:12:21 am »

I know this was to keep them in check with how they are seen, however giving them metals and no way of working it is really somewhat asinine, all respect to the creator of this race and good on them for giving them access to some of them.But really? i embark and find i have a vast amount of cobalt and thanks it to be wilderness bonemold can be made without too much issue until you realize that you have no anvil and yeah i could dfhack it into their area but when i do it closes the game completely and it doesn't even save anything. Retired a 3 year fortress bc of this and i would like to put it out there that they should at least be able to make a stone anvil of which there inst a chance of masterwork items or weapons. if they are meant to be primitive then leave them without any metals and just be done with it

Khaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobolds and metals
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 10:44:11 am »

Have you tried purchasing one from a caravan?

ninjajack2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 11:19:31 am »

Have you tried purchasing one from a caravan?
There is only one issue and that being that kobolds do have an anvil reaction, meaning the caravens and all other player controlled bands will start off without access to an anvil, further the races that will trade with you such as frog demons have copper goods and there is no copper anvil in the vanilla or MDF version of this game. Effectively, kobolds have been given metals but no means of actually using them other then by trading for worked goods of the metals themselves. How your parent civ works them is something of a mystery and thus remains that kobolds while having the ability to embark, trade and acquire the metals and items worked from them. You have no actual way of utilizing them yourself unless you reclaim a site which is from what i gathered in the forums either buggy or risky since most dwarf holds fall to forgotten beasts :/

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 02:05:24 pm »

There's a reaction at the smelter to make anvils out of cobalt.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

ninjajack2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 02:45:21 pm »

Truly? will be checking in on this then and seeing if it will work out

ninjajack2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 08:09:57 pm »

It worked but i see an issue,the reaction requires you to have iron bars which is understandible though if you have shovels on but no digging means you are out of the anvil in the first place? :/

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 09:09:04 pm »

It worked but i see an issue,the reaction requires you to have iron bars which is understandible though if you have shovels on but no digging means you are out of the anvil in the first place? :/

Holy shit... first error to fix in 1.28

go to raw/objects/reaction_kobold.txt

go down to line 57 and edit this reaction:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:KOBOLD_COBALT_ANVIL]
[NAME:Make cobalt anvil]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:CUSTOM_A]
[REAGENT:A:450:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:COBALT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:ANVIL:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
[SKILL:SMELT]
[FUEL]

change IRON to COBALT

Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

ninjajack2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 11:20:06 pm »

Holy shit... first error to fix in 1.28

go to raw/objects/reaction_kobold.txt

go down to line 57 and edit this reaction:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:KOBOLD_COBALT_ANVIL]
[NAME:Make cobalt anvil]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:CUSTOM_A]
[REAGENT:A:450:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:COBALT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:ANVIL:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
[SKILL:SMELT]
[FUEL]

change IRON to COBALT
its fine, i was just checking things out, currently though i decided to go agaisnt the norm and play with all metals availible and was lucky to get magnetite but yeah, also you should be careful with how its worked since trying to df hack the anvil into the game causes it to completely close and not even save any progress. further more, creating an armor set for ogres is more difficult unless you actually have the ogre use the forge or crafting station himself. also there is still the issue of the shell crafter not allowing you to harden them with tallow even when i have giant rat tallow by 50