Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Humans and Glaciers (Ye Olde)  (Read 870 times)

coolphoton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Humans and Glaciers (Ye Olde)
« on: June 13, 2017, 05:08:09 pm »

I found a site with 5-12 z levels of ice on a glacier embarq, it got me to thinking of a human embark there, one question though: If I build a traditional fort inside the preexisting ice, will humans suffer from the're claustrophobia? The quick guide says no, but when i embark there a dug chamber says that it is both inside and dark...

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: Humans and Glaciers (Ye Olde)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 06:00:44 pm »

Yeah, when I told Meph about that I specifically said "frozen ocean", as in, an ocean that's frozen year-round. He acknowledged the mistake later when I brought it up but never changed it from "glacier" in the guide itself.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

coolphoton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 06:06:40 pm »

So I need to find a frozen ocean to build a traditional style fortress with humans?

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 06:29:31 pm »

Yep, careful that you don't dig rooms into an area that thaws very briefly in the summer, that's a good way to lose a miner.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 09:02:57 pm »

You can still do the human fort but you would have to cut down and build a roof over it....just like everywhere else... but that whole frozen ocean dig site sounds totally cool to me...
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

coolphoton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 06:02:14 pm »

yea. I'm thinking Arctis Tor meets Water tribe. A fortress made of ice with a great tower with most of my industry in igloos with basements and all the bedrooms/civil services several z layers down in the ice. But that means I need to find a frozen ocean with a really steep drop off: I would need at least 6 z levels at-least 1 embark zone wide of clear ice for my plan.

I wonder why Glaciers aren't coded the same as frozen oceans?

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 06:13:56 pm »

I always thought they was.  or did it change somewhere along the way.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

coolphoton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 11:56:49 pm »

Glaciers are treated as stone, frozen ocean is treated as a frozen body of water. you can see the bottom of the ocean, and it is treated as light.

I tried a few embarks, and I gotta say: as long as you are not in a resurrecting biome, frozen ocean is definitely easy mode for humans. The ability to buy what you need really sidesteps most of the issues you would have with dwarves and living in the ice cuts the prep time for humans to basically nill.

on that note: anyone trying a frozen ocean human embark: bring nest boxes and birds.