Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26

Author Topic: Ineth Zafal, a Humankin fortress  (Read 34477 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Ineth Zafal, a Humankin fortress
« Reply #135 on: August 06, 2017, 03:30:52 am »

Save is get.
Also, does anyone else have this problem where DFFD is suddenly serving wrong MIME types?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 08, 2017, 09:53:10 am »

I guess I'm double-posting, since I want people to be able to see that there is a new post.

A N N O U N C E M E N T
of Granite First, annus mundi 255

Más Famostrul, Human Overseer

For this new year, Air City region Aquov-Akku-Beithe has been selected for development. As aquovnushrat of the region, I, Más Famostrul, will therefore be taking the responsibilities of Overseer for the term. In preparation for these responsibilities, it has been my pleasure over the past several days to survey all construction and activity in Air City in search of problems to correct. Already, this investigation has borne fruit, so I shall soon begin issuing a series of official proclamations, to be posted in all public places. Please remember that compliance with all proclamations is mandatory.

The Proclamations of Más Famostrul, Human Overseer (a·m·255)

1 Granite
The east bank of Aquov-Akku-Beithe is ordered cleared to the road in preparation for construction. Furthermore, in accordance with a personal request from the aquovnushrat of neighbouring Aquov-Akku-Coll, various materials scattered in and around that region are to be dumped at a designated location in Aquov-Akku-Beithe. Finally, the outstanding petition for the citizenship of the soldier Tequil Rocksheat is accepted.

2 Granite
I have received reports that a certain leatherworker, one who goes by the name Atír Boulderguise, has been found trapped in a tree in an undeveloped region and refuses to come down, apparently having been there for several days. With no other recourse, I hereby order the tree cut down so this leatherworker may be recovered.

With this out of the way, it now seems time to broach a matter that has weighed upon me since I discovered it during my survey of the land this past week. It appears that, through unknown means, a microcline lever has been installed in midair not far from the southern edge of Aquov-Akku-Coll. I do not know what, if anything, this lever does, and it is impossible to reach it without undertaking construction outside the bounds of my appointed region. However, its status in defiance of gravity is troubling to me, so I have asked the priests of the Notched Temple to perform appropriate rites of exorcism. Please avoid the area directly beneath this lever, in case whatever power maintains its lofty position should come to surcease.

3 Granite
It has become increasingly clear that Air City is suffering from a crisis of literacy. Understanding of the elegant, proper Human language is abysmally low. Most citizens only speak Dwarven, a crude tongue fit only for animals. Having been raised among dwarves is no excuse! We have all come to Air City to escape the ways of mere dwarves, and we will speak and write in a manner that reflects this. I have already planned to build a library, where citizens will hopefully become enlightened to the beauty of correct speech. Furthermore, it is hereby ordered that all conversation in public must be done in Human; uttering Dwarven within hearing of another citizen shall be a crime. Pursuant to this, those many citizens which still go by Dwarven names are ordered exclusively to use the equivalent Human names for any public purpose. For now, official written proclamations will still be made in the vernacular in order to ensure wide comprehension, but this policy will be revisited after the library is completed.

7 Granite
Ebka Waxypale, soldier, is hereby granted citizenship.

9 Granite
A trade caravan from the Elven forest of Imara Nisa, the Summer of Jaws, has arrived. All capable hands are ordered to construct a trade depot and load it with tradeable goods.

11 Granite
The priests of the Notched Temple are complaining that Sinur Lullring has profaned the temple's sanctuary by beating an alleged criminal who was praying there. In reparation, he has been ordered to serve as a temple performer until the gods have forgiven him.

19 Granite
Due to diplomatic negotiations with the elves of Imara Nisa, no more than one hundred trees are to be felled this year.

20 Granite
Trade with the elven merchants has been concluded. Though their goods were meagre, we acquired a small amount of food and several interesting kinds of animal, as well as a few other sundries, in exchange for some miscellaneous unneeded items.

2 Slate
A baby has been born! Please join me in welcoming Gulo Whippedvessel, daughter of Kopoh Owltorch, to Air City!

6 Slate
The bard Lasod Hugswaves is hereby granted citizenship.

2 Felsite
A number of migrants have arrived over the past week, bringing the population of the City of Air to 114, not including a certain wereass not to be spoken of. This figure also accounts for the death by suicide some days prior of a lunatic child, for whom funeral proceedings will be held in the Notched Temple on a date yet to be determined. Attendance is not mandatory.

4 Felsite
Our numbers continue to grow! Seba Oarlaw, son of Rushan Drilltreats, has been born!

7 Felsite
Reports are trickling in that another ghost has risen. Citizens are advised not to be alarmed, and to continue ongoing construction until the crypt is ready and the problem resolves itself naturally.

16 Felsite
Another soldier and a couple of bards were granted citizenship, but I forgot to care. All citizens are advised to ignore the bards and work instead.

1 Hematite
It is now summer.

So yeah, basically fuckall happened so far, but I wanted to let everyone know that I am, in fact, actually playing. They haven't even managed to dig out the foundations for my project yet, it's exasperating. On the bright side, Japa's area is now totally clear, except for the stuff that's, you know, underwater.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 08, 2017, 08:45:12 pm »

Meanwhile, a motley crew of humankin have taken to protest the impending destruction of the floating microcline lever, claiming that such a miracle could only be attributable to the divine workings of their God.

Microcline is love. Microcline is life.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 09, 2017, 01:45:15 am »

Microcline is love. Microcline is life.
I totally agree; it's my favourite stone. The lever's still up there, anyway. The exorcism didn't work. Whenever Japa takes another turn, I think he should build a temple right under the floating microcline lever so everyone can properly worship it.

So, uh, unrelatedly, the human merchants and our broker have gotten into something of a dispute as to the proper valuation of the collected cast-off rags of the city, and now the humans refuse to trade this year. Does anyone object to my current plan of solving this dispute by relieving the caravan of the need to concern themselves about the price of their goods, whether they want to be relieved or not? On the one hand, we probably can't afford to go to war with the humans (and we should probably want to be their allies anyway, since obviously humans are better than dwarves), but on the other hand, they brought a bunch of neat books and a set of angel cloth instrument strings which I really want.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 09, 2017, 02:17:39 am »

Ah, my little humankin. Whenever I find myself in a bind such as yourself, I tend to ask myself one simple question: WWAHD (What Would A Human Do?)

So ask yourself, young Famostrul, would humans engage in barbaric conflict between their very own kind? Would humans place such ridiculous value on mere trifles such as books and instruments? Would humans start a whole war simply because of a tiny trade dispute?

Why yes.
Yes they would.

MURDERATE THEM.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 09, 2017, 03:29:52 am »

The temple will benefit from such a rare and even bloody instrument. 

We must enclose the trade depot and invite our were-ass-bear-ass-moose-whatevs to mingle with the merchants, and lock them up until after full moon.

JStheguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 09, 2017, 12:11:58 pm »

This is madness.
To do this is to damn our fair barony to its doom, to send its men off to die, all so you can have the finest bowstrings and largest libraries in the land.
No blood for tomes!

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 09, 2017, 12:25:41 pm »

If there are no witness, there will be no one to report the "mishap"

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 09, 2017, 02:50:08 pm »

It's rather too late to lock them up, since they're going to start leaving now that they refuse to trade any more. Based on the us:them ratio - the merchants brought a lot of guards - sending in the army would probably result in no longer having an army. Finally, our resident wereass, Unfortunate Nek, just turned back into a "human" yesterday. My plan was to simply seize their goods and let them go on their way, freed of their burdensome merchandise. Of course, I'm open to suggestions.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 09, 2017, 04:38:13 pm »

Seize the good goods, and blame it on their accent.

JStheguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 09, 2017, 06:52:56 pm »

Seize the good goods, and blame it on their accent.
"Aye, cannye step salein' me ol' raigs ye wee nut?"
"What's that, 'Take all my stuff'? I'd love to! You're so generous!"

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 10, 2017, 02:13:06 am »

Based on the us:them ratio - the merchants brought a lot of guards - sending in the army would probably result in no longer having an army.

Aye, but don't forget, all we gotta do is spook them so they scuttle and drop their goods. Besides, an army for a divine instrument sounds like a totally dandy deal.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 10, 2017, 06:49:31 am »

Aye, but don't forget, all we gotta do is spook them so they scuttle and drop their goods. Besides, an army for a divine instrument sounds like a totally dandy deal.
I got their stuff, but they got away. I'm counting on you to get them next year!

Unrelatedly - update soon, btw - there are currently six dwarves stuck in a single tree. One of them is a baby, but that's no excuse.

ETA: Anyone have any special requests of the dwarven liaison?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 10:50:35 am by Maximum Spin »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 10, 2017, 01:04:37 pm »

ETA: Anyone have any special requests of the dwarven liaison?

How about a pack of ewes.  We need to establish the Congregation of Shepherds.  The roam the surface, and nothing stirs the heart more than the silence of nature is broken by "baah, bah, baaah, aah!"

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 11, 2017, 11:36:06 am »

«translated from Human»
«Trade Report, Hematite 22nd
from the desk of Seba Lettershoved, Broker of Air City
to Más Spindrill, Overseer

I am pleased to report that trade with the merchants from the Large Empires has been concluded with only minor difficulties. Air City is now richer by a number of exciting treasures; in particular, your personal request for books in the Human language to equip the new library has been fulfilled. Much food and raw materials are now ours as well. Unfortunately, the merchants refused to accept the goods we had presented in exchange, despite my assurances as to their value, and the man leading the caravan, one Irka Sensespaged, to my insurmountable fury, had the gall to call me a "dwarf" when I suggested he extend us a fair credit between fellow humans. Naturally, I made it clear that this offense would not be met with equanimity, and demanded that they leave our depot immediately and return with a better attitude next year to receive just payment for the merchandise I had purchased.»

6 Malachite:
Citizens are reminded once again that climbing of all trees around the city is strictly prohibited. Yet another senseless tragedy has been caused by the arboreal menace: the death of local fisherman Kanil Vaultlures, a recent immigrant and wife of fisherman Vispol Churchslings. Remember: trees cannot feel love or empathy, and know only pettiness and spite. Do not be fooled by their seductive advances.

10 Malachite:
Perhaps my previous edict was unclear. I woke up this morning to reports that six of you morons had wedged yourself into an apricot tree in some sort of advanced-level slapstick routine. Masons have already been dispatched to build an escape staircase; please be advised that, the next time I hear about something like this, I may well choose to leave you up there.

11 Malachite:
Well, that didn't take long. Please join me in preëmptively eulogizing the pump operator Imo Oarwaxed. He died as he lived: stuck in a tree. Well, he hasn't yet, but I'm sure as hell not going to bother sending anyone to get him down. I guess I won't actively punish anyone for doing so, though.

11 Malachite (bis):
Quenir Lakesshoot, herbalist, just climbed a tree right in front of me. I hope she CHOKES ON IT. You assholes want to live in trees? Fine. You guys can build yourselves a treehouse up there. We'll call it Idiot City.

«attn: Ucim "JS" Jadesmith, Head of the Air City Department of Tourism
on 17 Malachite a·m·255

The anterior façade of» Akkuus Tunul «has just been completed; please compile a pamphlet to introduce the world to this exciting new tourist attraction!

Best regards,
Más Spindrill, Human Overseer»

Diary of MelbilNithim Laboredstrapped, Human Miner
entry for Malachite Twenty-Fourth, annus mundi Two Hundred and Fifty-Five

The nine of us have finally arrived in the fabled City of Air! Everything is so bright and sunny here, it's even better than I could have imagined. Almost as soon as I stepped within city limits, the overseer was there to welcome me. He taught me my true, Human name, Nithim! It's the human equivalent to my old dwarf name, and I'm so excited to start using it! I heard that they're building a library filled with Human books, so I guess I'm finally going to get to learn the Human language here. It won't be long before these entries are written in the true language of my soul!

«Records of the City of Air, annus mundi 255 (excerpted)
as compiled by Thora Diamondeast, Clerk

Galena the Fourth: one (1) mica earring, artefact quality, by Nganiz Roastedcudgels. Estimated value approximately 60,000☼. See attached description.»

Minutes of meeting, 255-07-17, with Tekkud Beardedtreaties, Dwarven liaison
(Rákfil Reignedmirrored, Mayor, Glazier)

- requests by Air City: wood, iron/steel bars, stone and stone blocks (preferred microcline, orthoclase, cobaltite per order of Overseer), weapons and armor, sheep (special request by the aquovnushrat from Aquov-Lad-Dair), milk, various cavern plant products, silk, fuel and ashery products, plaster, and lime

- requests by the Charcoal Wheel: musical instruments (135%), plants (196%), amulets (210%), anvils (170%), toys (149%), splints (164%), cut gems (126%), powder (137%), earrings (164%), and cheese (185%)

«Trade Report, Limestone 25th
from the desk of Seba Lettershoved, Broker of Air City
to Más Spindrill, Overseer

I have concluded trade with the perfidious dwarves. Many miscellaneous objects were pleasantly exchanged on both sides. Unfortunately, the dwarves ultimately balked at trading us any food, animals, weapons, or anything else particularly useful, but I kindly forgave them, since their stubborn nature is obviously derived from awareness of their own inferiority, and also since a small number of items seems to have gone unaccountably missing from their wagons in the confusion and may or may not turn up in our stockpiles later.»

Diary of MelbilNithim Laboredstrapped, Human Miner
entry for Limestone Twenty-Seventh, annus mundi Two Hundred and Fifty-Five

Another party of migrants as arrived! We aren't the newcomers anymore. Not that anyone treated us that way, of course! These twelve new arrivals will soon discover, just as we did, the welcoming nature of the Humans of Air City. I have heard that the party was led by a woodcutter, Mim Pureconstructs, who came along with his wife Ulco Steelfeed. Apparently, their daughter came to Air City several years ago but tragically died before my time, and the orphan Perom whom I've seen around is her son. Perhaps Ulco and Mim came to meet their grandson?

14 Sandstone:
Though construction remains ongoing, the Treasury of Spears, Library of Air City, is now open. Admission is free to all citizens. I hope to see all of you there.

There, that seems like a sound place to stop. I'm still playing, but I realised it was inching closer to 17 hours since I promised updates soon. Anyway, two points: A) I swear I'm not a bad trader, our broker just has no social skills; B) no, really, the dwarven liaison's name is Beardedtreaties. Let that one sink in.

Ucim "JS" Jadesmith, Head of the Air City Department of Tourism, has been contacted regarding the tourist attraction.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26