Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26

Author Topic: Ineth Zafal, a Humankin fortress  (Read 34619 times)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: Ineth Zafal, a Humankin fortress
« Reply #180 on: August 17, 2017, 11:25:16 pm »

Hell, I'm not even sure if there ARE 100 trees on site.

Challenge goddamn accepted.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 17, 2017, 11:26:57 pm »

hmm im not so sure I guess when you consider we're limited to one tile, i'll probably be cutting down 30 or so though because mine was quite overgrown
japa i'm fairly certain he means trees.. although i guess im basing that off the old days when all trees were just  1 log.. hmm..
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 17, 2017, 11:28:56 pm »

I don't know if it's been updated, but in the old days, if you cut down 1000 trees, but had less than 100 logs left over when they arrived, they wouldn't be bothered.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 17, 2017, 11:38:50 pm »

hmm well if it still works like that it might be hard to not have 100 logs on hand, does anyone care about elves or do i go ahead and refuse?
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

JStheguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 17, 2017, 11:47:05 pm »

Nah, I'm pretty sure it just tracks how many "cut down this here tree" jobs are done. At least, that's what the wiki says.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 17, 2017, 11:57:40 pm »

From Quietust himself:

It's the old 40d tree diplomat, who used to come only when a baron was around but now it happens much faster.

Secret: unless it's been re-written (doubtful), the diplomat doesn't actually care how many trees you cut down. What he counts is how many logs you've got on the map. So if you cut down every tree and turn every one of them into a barrel/bin/bed leaving less than 100 left, he'll be happy.

I don't think that's ever been true - in 40d (and possibly even in 23a), if you look at your [c]iv screen, select the Elven civ, and hit TAB enough times, you can view your current tree quota: each time you cut down a tree, the number will decrease, and if you cut down too many it will go negative and display in red to signify that you violated the quota.

In all likelihood, violating a logging quota is a much worse offense than simply refusing one.

Pls accept the agreement. :D

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 18, 2017, 12:00:11 am »

alright makes sense, done

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 18, 2017, 12:04:38 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I already regret this decision immensely, don't they know we're bettering ourselves and have already dragged ourselves out of the depths?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 18, 2017, 01:57:34 am »

I already regret this decision immensely, don't they know we're bettering ourselves and have already dragged ourselves out of the depths?
That's what I thought, too! But then I thought, eh, elves are dicks. I mean, Idiot City clearly proves that we're already better at living with the trees than the elves themselves.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 18, 2017, 09:03:29 am »

Trees serve the purpose of providing soft floors, decorative roofs, container for booze, buckets for water, and fuel for our eventual metal industry. 

I do not think our kin have anyone picking fruits.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 18, 2017, 09:19:01 am »

I do not think our kin have anyone picking fruits.
Actually, I set the entire part of my square I didn't dig out as a plant-gathering area. Idiot City in particular, a set of catwalks connecting the trees on my southern border, is a major tree-harvest hotspot. I know it produces almonds, at least. I figured, hey, humans eat tree stuff, and we're definitely humans.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 18, 2017, 10:36:29 am »

I think you can press almonds into almond oil, then put them in jugs so you can make a fancy almond soap factory for the nut smelling humankin customers.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 22, 2017, 08:36:51 pm »

sorry for the dearth of updates, i've been quite busy irl unfortunately, but i'm still here and still working on it!

We had about 20 migrants arrive, i informed them they were all actually human useless fish dissectors.  One of them even had the nerve to call herself Urist, I soon fixed that.

I notice we have inadequate quarters for the captain of the guard,  and NO justice facilities for criminals! the rainbow fortress shall house both.

unfortunately at some point water got into my quarry (I'm still not really sure how unless there is a second aquifer layer/the aquifer spreads out lower down)
since I didn't notice right away it predictably enough became a deathtrap for the miners, I looked and fully expected a whole bunch of corpses
yet somehow three humankin lived, clinging to the periphery but unable to escape(I think there's some climbing going on here, never experienced this before)
I watched them move closer to the exit..
then, seemingly at random, further away, and one of them perished
after frantically building a platform out next to the ramps at the edge of the pool the remaining two managed to climb out, now not bad swimmers, but sadly it was too late for mater lorambatung.
so it's somewhat beyond me how i could fix this without making several levels of pumps back up to river level, so my quarry is shutdown for now, would make a nice well hole i guess. (edit - how bad can the taste of corpses be anyway)
Sanctume I will take you up on the use of your quarry now that mine has met with disaster.

meanwhile in the quarantine zone.. quarantine closet is more accurate..
I'm half expecting him to go insane before too long

another thing i noticed, we have a lot of ghosts from past *ahem* traumatic events.
I've started trying to get the slabs out so we can get rid of them for good.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 08:46:00 pm by neblime »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 22, 2017, 08:46:58 pm »

a mini update: im certainly using up plenty of logs, maybe when the elves come back they will be happy after all

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 22, 2017, 09:43:15 pm »

We had about 20 migrants arrive, i informed them they were all actually human useless fish dissectors.  One of them even had the nerve to call herself Urist, I soon fixed that.
Haha, that's a relief, I kind of suspected I'd have to individually rename another hundred-plus dwarves when my turn came around again. :P
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26