Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26

Author Topic: Ineth Zafal, a Humankin fortress  (Read 34250 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ineth Zafal, a Humankin fortress
« Reply #225 on: September 19, 2017, 12:52:02 am »

Just got a goblin siege. Honestly I'm less worried about losing half the fort's population as much as I am worried about trolls destroying every single thing I worked for so many hours to create. Am backing up to be able to save-scum.

Also, where's the lever to close D2?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 19, 2017, 02:01:10 am »

Lever should be in the tavern

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 19, 2017, 03:54:10 pm »

Alright, I got an about two-and-a-half page siege. The soldiers slaughtered about one page before succumbing. The trolls, as I expected, are destroying pretty much all the mechanics I have in my division. I tried turning on the pump stack, allowing the water to spill out and hopefully push the invaders away, but the trolls got to it before it did much. The invaders have proceeded to massacre all our livestock.

The giant war animals we had, by the way? The lynx got its ass beat by a single random gobbo while doing absolutely no damage to its attacker, and the giant war jaguar seemed content to simply swim around in the river doing nothing at all.

I'm now thinking of letting all the fort visitors out, so they can (hopefully) storm the goblins and kill at least a non-negligible number of goblins. However, that requires removing the tavern, so I'm asking here for permission to do that.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 19, 2017, 04:00:49 pm »

You can relocate it temporarily.  Make a meeting zone to where you want them to go.  Add it to the tavern.  Then deactivated the zone inside.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 20, 2017, 11:22:30 pm »

I'm so sorry I've been procrastinating so much in writing an update, it's just that I've never done this before and had a hard time starting.

I've written a pretty significant portion, will try to finish tomorrow.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 26, 2017, 02:05:43 am »

So, what's happening.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 26, 2017, 11:49:12 am »

My body is not ready for this.  I think we need a Bearskie tower to woo me in my round 2. 

What you say Bloop?  Post a save of what you have.

Post a few sentences for each season, to the outcome of a rumble, to the thoughts of a dorf should suffice.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 01, 2017, 12:48:42 am »

I think if there's no response by tomorrow, I'll take my turn and run on the previous save.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 01, 2017, 01:20:53 am »

I think if there's no response by tomorrow, I'll take my turn and run on the previous save.
If you manage to succeed at this, you will be the first person to fully complete a turn after me without killing the fortress. I'm seriously starting to think it's just me.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 01, 2017, 01:25:59 am »

Yeah, this is starting to get annoying.

I need to finish my hole!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 02, 2017, 12:41:23 am »

Hey peeps.

So, funny story.

I decided to write an update for the first 3 seasons, and I finished it. I considered just giving out the save just as winter starts, but then I realized that I had completed almost nothing of value and so tried to redo the 2 months before winter.

This time, there was no goblin siege. I continued working on my cavern breaching system and minecart watergun.

Except, there was a problem with the watergun that I was beating my head against for such a long time.

I tried many things. First devel/watch-minecarts didn't work. Then the water froze for a couple days, but due to a longstanding bug, the watergun machine components remained frozen when it melted again.

So I had to wrestle around for a while trying to write a DFHack script to unfreeze it manually.

Then, using my newfound scripting knowledge, I wrote my own alternative to watch-minecarts.

Then the problem dawned on me. It was because the minecart was going very slowly on the tracks and the sideways velocity caused it to derail. But why was it going so slow, which was even slower than when it started going down?

I read everywhere trying to find the answer. And then I found out.

Minecarts

don't

fucking

accelerate

on

downward

corner

ramps.

So an entire *half* of my project was completely inoperable and had to be rebuilt. And at that point, there was but a month left, so there wasn't any time to rebuild it.

At this point I completely gave up. Here's the save. The update is spoilered down below too (doesn't contain last 2 months). I didn't accomplish much of use, except a pathway from my sector to D2 that you can use to split up sieges -- lever to operate is next to D2 entrance.

My sincerest apologies for making all of you wait so long. I'll try to be better in succession games in the future.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 02, 2017, 01:05:19 am »

Okay, Bearskie, you're up. You have an extra 2 months for your turn.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 02, 2017, 04:43:18 am »

Story

There's been a growing problem in Ineth Zafal. One that is starting to seriously worry any self-respecting humankin.

Elfkin.

Dwarfs that identify themselves as humans that identify themselves as elves. They sharpen their ears, dance around on trees, and sometimes even talk about feasting upon the hearts of their fallen enemies!

Fortunately, Kind Foreman Japa has come up with a solution!

A group of seven Elfkin have been rounded up, and have been banished to the edge of the map. Far away from the city that they have turned their back on.

It will be called B1, and will be their new home, forever for a year.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 02, 2017, 08:43:50 am »

"Since you're new here, I-I'm gonna cut you a break, today. So, why don't you make like a tree and get outta here? "

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 02, 2017, 10:00:04 am »

Story

There's been a growing problem in Ineth Zafal. One that is starting to seriously worry any self-respecting humankin.

Elfkin.

Dwarfs that identify themselves as humans that identify themselves as elves. They sharpen their ears, dance around on trees, and sometimes even talk about feasting upon the hearts of their fallen enemies!

Fortunately, Kind Foreman Japa has come up with a solution!

A group of seven Elfkin have been rounded up, and have been banished to the edge of the map. Far away from the city that they have turned their back on.

It will be called B1, and will be their new home, forever for a year.

Ah, I see. Do you mean those dwarves humans elves that get stuff from that food stockpile in the trees? I was wondering who put that there.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26