Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26

Author Topic: Ineth Zafal, a Humankin fortress  (Read 34483 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Ineth Zafal, a Humankin fortress
« Reply #240 on: October 02, 2017, 12:45:35 pm »

Ah, I see. Do you mean those dwarves humans elves that get stuff from that food stockpile in the trees? I was wondering who put that there.
Probably the one whose square it's in. It's possible that player may have even explicitly pointed it out in an update and added a Note identifying it as Idiot City. :P

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 02, 2017, 12:54:09 pm »

Ohh okay.

A lot of dwarves died of dehydration there in my turn, BTW. Prob'ly should've kept a better eye on it.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 03, 2017, 03:22:14 am »

Gameplay

Awwright I haven’t played since 40.24 let’s give this a look shall w-
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hnnnggghhh
What is this shit.
DF FOR CHUMPS?
RAAAAARRGGHHHHHHHHH

Several deep breaths later...

Alright, lets take a look around shall we.
Why are you all in the goddamn trees.
Why are you all goddamn naked in the goddamn trees.
Is there a goddamn orgy going on.
And why was I not invited.
Who the hell could do such a thing in a succession fort.
I thought we were supposed to be friends.
BUT NO MORE.
GET ME THE CHOPPA.
CHOPPA ALL THE TREES DOWN.

. . .
Screw this.
You all Elfkin now.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 04, 2017, 01:13:14 am »

Hahaha, that is about how I felt when I saw all of them climbing into the trees in the first place.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 04, 2017, 01:55:45 am »

Story

It is said that on the eve of spring, the elfkin druid Bear sat on the crest of B1 hill, contemplating the way forward for their fledgling race. They could leave this despicable, tree-slaying hive of villiany, yes, but she refused. Elfkin were a proud race - at least they had been for the single week of their existence. No, this was about so much more. This was about grace and dignity. This was about their destiny to show the world who was the superior race in Ineth Zafal. 

She turned to her fellow elfkin, half of whom were rolling in flowers, the other half munching on grass. An eclectic bunch, but as the beginning of a new elven race, they would do.

“My fellow elfkins! Behold, the injustice they have inflicted upon our budding kind. Banished, to the edge of civilization, where even the rodents dare not scrounge. Cast forth into the wilds, with nary a drip nor cloth. But hear my tongue, such travesties will only be the seed of our rise. For it is here, in the wilds, where we are precisely at our strongest!"

Druid Bear leapt up onto a nearby branch, or at least she tried to, for she was still a dwarf, and dwarves were short and don’t climb trees. In the end, after several awkward minutes of humping up a tree bark, she settled on a large mushroom instead. “Hear the melody of the birds sing! Smell the bounty of fruits rotting! Witness the dance of the wild and its inhabitants, in all its resplendent glory and death!”

“We are like the sapling cast aside from its tree, which then grows tall into the canopy. Our ascent shall blot out the sun of those lesser shrubs, and it is when all of Ineth Zafal stands under our shadow, shall they recognise who are their lord and superiors. Praise be to the Grand Trunk, from which all life flows from.”

A hand raised amongst the masses. It was Mouse, and she squeaked. “But Durpul, wh-“

The nerve! The conceit! To address me by my dead name, which was banished the moment they cast us out into the wilds! You will either address me as Druid or the elfkin name Bear, else thy tongue shalt remain silent!”

“Sorry s-s-orry, b-b-but Druid Bear, what b-be the Grand Trunk to begin w-w-with?”

“Foolish Mouse, I see you have much to learn of the ways to be an elfkin. Throughout all of history, each great tree city has had a Mother Tree as the focal point of their worship. And so shall we. The Grand Trunk shall be the spiritual centrifuge of the Elfkin rise in Ineth Zafal. Here, in this tile, at the heart of this wretched place they call Bee-One.”

It is said that at this mention, many of the elfkin lapsed into a period of contemplative silence, presumably reflecting upon the nature of such an undertaking upon their spiritual chakras.

“So… are we going to plant a tree?" asked Buffalo.

Druid Bear rolled her eyes.

“No Buffalo, you dullard. We’re going to build one.”

« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 07:08:34 am by Bearskie »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 04, 2017, 09:43:28 am »

Story
Druid Bear leapt up onto a nearby branch, or at least she tried to, for she was still a dwarf, and dwarves were short and don’t climb trees.  In the end, after several awkward minutes of humping up a tree bark, she settled on a large mushroom instead.

LMAO. I just about spewed my drink all over my monitor. I love the writing, and this foreign idea.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 05, 2017, 10:45:52 am »

Gameplay

Okay, so we’re going to build a tree. To build a tree we need wood. To be more precise, we need wood at the site, and not being squirrelled away to some random stockpile in the middle of nowhere. So I’m hunting around for wood stockpiles all over the map... let’s count them shall we.
Uno.
Dos.
Tries... err.. three.
Why is there a wood stockpile in mid-air for no discernible reason whatsoever other than this place really likes things floating in mid-air. Spooky things, like microcline levers and ghosts. Ah, the ghosts.
Better yet is everyone’s reaction to the ghosts.
They don’t fucking care.
“You’re saying… that you don’t mind the… how do I put this, the unsullied dead rising up from beyond the grave to haunt you in your sleep?”
“She’d never do it to me in my sleep mister. Only during me fishing,” mumbled Ari sadly.
Okay, that makes my job easier then. Ghosts are fun! They give good atmosphere and stuff. Did you know here in Ineth Zafal, we throw our rotting corpses in the river? Yes, the same river from which we fish and we shit and we drink. Circle of life and all that jazz. Hygiene is a goblin hoax kids, don’t fall for it. Who needs coffins anyway? Coffins are for chumps.
My brilliant plan (or rather lack of) is then unceremoniously interrupted by a NEVERENDING STREAM OF ANIMAL JOB CANCELLATIONS.
WHERE ARE ALL THESE ANIMALS YOU’RE TALKING ABOUT.
TAKE ME TO YOUR BUCK RABBIT, HUMAN.
OH GOD.
ITS ALL BUCK RABBITS.
WHO CAN WE KILL.
ANSWER: NOT FUCKING ENOUGH.
WHAT ARE WE, AN ANIMAL SHELTER?
WAIT I THINK I SEE ANOTHER PEN/PASTURE.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 05, 2017, 02:36:16 pm »

Why is there a wood stockpile in mid-air for no discernible reason whatsoever other than this place really likes things floating in mid-air.
That one's my fault. It's a staging area for construction below - it's in mid-air so it doesn't get in the way.
WAIT I THINK I SEE ANOTHER PEN/PASTURE.
hahahahahahaha, gets them every time

I almost, almost went to the trouble of setting everything pet-available, too. I like animals, okay. :P

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 05, 2017, 03:16:36 pm »

I'm the one that pastured all the animals in D2. I wanted to get them safely inside in case of a siege.

Also, the majority of the bodies in the river are my fault. They drowned after getting washed down there by my pumpstack or flying there after getting hit by a minecart.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 06, 2017, 04:06:54 am »

I almost, almost went to the trouble of setting everything pet-available, too. I like animals, okay. :P

Good. Do you like them roasted, barbequed, or burned at a stake?

Story

It is said that on the thirty-fourth day of the Elfkin rise, the Bear Druid was meditating peacefully upon one of the Grand Trunk’s freshly installed branches, when she felt a great disturbance in the nature of the world. Namely, there was a large gaping hole at the foot of the tree. Worse, the pit rang with the irritating cadence of pick against rock, punctuating her spiritual contemplation like a determined woodpecker.  She summoned Magpie to her presence, who fluttered to her as gracefully as any dwarf could, which is to say, not very well.

“I am here to serve, Madame Druid.”
“Good. Perhaps you could enlighten me as to the nature of there being a goddamn hole in the soil of our realm.”
Magpie looked puzzled. “What hole, miss?”
“Do not trifle with me, you brain-addled bird. I am of course talking about THAT hole, or are you as blind as you are dumb?”
“Ah! That is hardly a hole, Madame Druid. It is the site for this year’s DIRT - the Dwarven Instinct Rehabilitation Tile!”
“…What.”

Her explanation was anything if not disheartening. Some humankin, upon coming to Ineth Zafal, faced difficulties adapting to the rigorous stresses of human life, such as beard trimmings, human-height furniture and the sky. Therapists suggest that a full three quarters of humankin tantrums and crime were caused by Post Dwarven Stress Disorder (PDSD). This has led to some overseers implementing a variety of methods to allow humankin to satisfy some of their more... baser urges. Award-winning solutions include drinking duels (to the death), golden coin showers, and the perennial classic, digging a hole.

“We’ve been tremendously lucky to host the 3rd Annual Rock Dig! All tiles are selected by a careful panel of geologists and mineral experts that weigh the suitability of the site for digging. It’s usually held in C3, but last year somebody killed the river and caused a minor ecological disaster or something, so they had to search for a replacement tile. Isn’t this exciting, Madam?”

It is said that the Bear Druid thus demonstrated wise and great restraint in not throwing Magpie off the tower.

“Need I remind you… Magpie… that you are elfkin?”
“Oh. Haha. Right. Man…err… this is such a travesty! Dwarves, here, in OUR tile? Gee, I really hope they dig a real good hole this year, so we can.. uh.. send them a strongly-worded letter or something.”

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 06, 2017, 09:03:41 am »

Has there any hemp plants or seeds found?  I am wondering when your hippie colony will cultivate them.

JStheguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 06, 2017, 05:02:07 pm »

Her explanation was anything if not disheartening. Some humankin, upon coming to Ineth Zafal, faced difficulties adapting to the rigorous stresses of human life, such as beard trimmings, human-height furniture and the sky. Therapists suggest that a full three quarters of humankin tantrums and crime were caused by Post Dwarven Stress Disorder (PDSD). This has led to some overseers implementing a variety of methods to allow humankin to satisfy some of their more... baser urges. Award-winning solutions include drinking duels (to the death), golden coin showers, and the perennial classic, digging a hole.
Letter from Kab "JS" Jadesmith, Dwarven Political Agitator
Aye, we ain't no humankin, we are dwarves, ale chuggin', strip minin', depth dwellin' dwarves! We'll hit the earth or we'll hit the streets!

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 07, 2017, 05:11:57 am »

Gameplay

Strap on fellas, we’re going for a ride straight into the caverns. No more of this mucking about with aquifers – I see a granite outcrop in my tile, we’re riding that sucker down. Unless it turns out to be an aquifer, in which case, we’re going to drown. I’m using a downwards passageway ramp design similar to the sort found in mountain halls. No worries ya’ll, this is humankin kosher with 100% lighted tiles.
Diggity diggity hole. For the first time, we’ve got metal ores. The Stone Age of Humankin ends, the Bronze Age is upon us.
One month in, and we've gone deeper than no one else has before. One small hole for humankin, one giant mine for humankind. That is, until...
We have made cavernfall, I repeat, we have made cavernfall.
View of the pit in 3D. It's something like 15-z deep.
Time to send a squad down. I order the Second Foreign Legion to secure the perimeter. Not the First Foreign Legion, they're too valuable to be made into cavern-snack.
Cue elaborate cavern exploration montage!
Fuck.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 07, 2017, 03:47:21 pm »

Well, that was a fun read. Nice succession thread, everyone. I'm surprised at the siege sizes, since afaik you embarked in the middle of nowhere. Bearskie, is that Savok's tileset?

Hm, this fortress is overdue a floating city. Or library, as one can walk on floating bookcases. Though I don't think I will be doing it, since it seems this is - opposite of exceptions - way more chaotic than normal succession fort.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 07, 2017, 11:26:08 pm »

No joke, the sieges are pretty ridiculous. 200+ on all sides with a chronically under-equipped and outnumbered military. I must say, I haven't had this much fun in DF in a long while. It feels like an actual siege, with everyone being forced to retreat to Sanctume's tile; can't dig or build there and we might not even have enough food to last it out. Trolls moving to wreck JS's and bloop bleep's tile now. We're moving in to engage near the graveyard.

To be fair I can't remember where I found this tileset - it was lurking somewhere in the depths of one of the tileset threads. I like it because it's quite similar to default ASCII, but with nicer floor and corner tiles.

The color scheme is the same one I made for DFSS, which in turn was lifted from several other color schemes. The goal was to allow the usage of a wide variety of colors as possible; I did quite like the final result. Admittedly the trees are a little orange, but they were supposed to use [4,0,0] instead of [6,0,0] in the final mod.

Code: [Select]
[BLACK_R:0]
[BLACK_G:0]
[BLACK_B:0]
[BLUE_R:18] Default+
[BLUE_G:51]
[BLUE_B:175]
[GREEN_R:0]
[GREEN_G:128]
[GREEN_B:0]
[CYAN_R:0]
[CYAN_G:128]
[CYAN_B:128]
[RED_R:175] Just brown
[RED_G:69]
[RED_B:20]
[MAGENTA_R:163]128 More bright magenta
[MAGENTA_G:17]
[MAGENTA_B:192]128
[BROWN_R:235] Dusk
[BROWN_G:136]
[BROWN_B:0]
[LGRAY_R:192]
[LGRAY_G:192]
[LGRAY_B:192]
[DGRAY_R:51]185 Dark Sands (Light Gray - Indigo)
[DGRAY_G:69]152
[DGRAY_B:84]115
[LBLUE_R:0] Default+
[LBLUE_G:114]
[LBLUE_B:255]
[LGREEN_R:0]
[LGREEN_G:255]
[LGREEN_B:0]
[LCYAN_R:0]
[LCYAN_G:255]
[LCYAN_B:255]
[LRED_R:200] Less bright red
[LRED_G:0]
[LRED_B:0]
[LMAGENTA_R:255]255 Bone (Light Magenta - Pink)
[LMAGENTA_G:66]32
[LMAGENTA_B:130]141
[YELLOW_R:255]
[YELLOW_G:255]
[YELLOW_B:0]
[WHITE_R:255]
[WHITE_G:255]
[WHITE_B:255]
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26