Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26

Author Topic: Ineth Zafal, a Humankin fortress  (Read 34546 times)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: Ineth Zafal, a Humankin fortress
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2017, 11:38:27 pm »

Eh... just move the coffins to your square?

JStheguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2017, 04:01:39 am »

The Autumn of Calm, The City Ordinance Violating Reign of JStheguy

28th of Galena
Well, one hell of a bender later, I've come up with designs for a new place to lay the many dead to rest. Especially since I have been informed that I have been breaking city ordnance by installing all those extra coffins in old dorms/tomb. This won't just be some pit or wooden shack, it'll be a proper temple that the fallen shall have their eternal sleep in.

9th of Limestone
Construction has started on the great project. The mighty stone foundations are being placed down as I write.

13th of Limestone
Tonight was a full moon.
But, there were no werebeasts rampaging throughout the city. All living carriers of the werebeast infection have been successfully contained in the hospital. The dwarves of Ineth Zafal may rest easy once more.

17th of Limestone
Met with the outpost liason today, and had a very interesting discussion about the future of Ineth Zafal.

Ladies and gentledwarves, we are now a barony.
Oh, and mayor-for-life Vutok "I need more weapons" Sodelod is now the baron.
Congratulations on the promotion, baron.

Also I handled some boring trade deals. Honestly, I've never been much of a tradesdwarf, so I just told them to, like, bring some barrels or something so we can stock up on storage space for booze and fish roasts. Followed by them telling me they're gonna buy the hell outta booze and medical supplies to treat inevitable booze-induced injuries.

P.S. Lord, outpost liason, lay off the plump helmets.

1st of Sandstone
Things have been rather quiet. It's very nice. No disasters, no bloodshed, just a peaceful town with a great project moving along at a decent pace.

11th of Sandstone
Full moon again. God, you can hear the beastial yells of the trapped werecreatures halfway across town. Thank the lord for dwarven door technology.

19th of Sandstone
I've ordered the mass production of caskets to be installed into the future temple.

23rd of Sandstone
There have been numerous interruptions with various job orders around town due to some incidents involving giant flies. I've ordered the militia to put down the creatures.

27th of Sandstone
I've been getting numerous reports of paranormal activity throughout the town. I may not be a theological type, but I know ghostly fuckery when I see it. Hopefully I can put a pin in it by installing some of these fancy new coffers I've been having the carpenters build into the partially built temple.
Also, bit of a issue with the temple plan, we're running near out of stone blocks. I may need to cut back on the original design somewhat.

9th of Timber
The first caskets have been installed in the temple, awaiting occupants.

14th of Timber
I've finally gotten around to dealing with that ordnance violation. The extra dead wrongly tossed into the old place should soon be getting moved to new accommodations in the temple.

16th of Timber
The mayor's just came in and started yelling at me to make more quivers. God, how many more does she need?

23rd of Timber
I have officially designated the temple as a proper temple. It is now the Notched Temple, terminally underfunded [NON-DENOMINATIONAL FAITH STRUCTURE]

25th of Timber
A peasant has seemingly been afflicted by some variant of the odd "possession" episodes that swept through the ranks of the metalworkers. Though unlike them he is quite quiet, instead of screaming nonsense about ancient gods and his need for cat bones or whatever, he is instead near-silently gathering his materials while frenetically sketching pictures of everything under the sun. Hope the eventual result is still the same as those possessions, at least...

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2017, 08:41:02 am »

If you need more blocks, you have to mine them. 
District 2 quarry is at the point where the natural walls bordering the stream needs to be preserved and naturally smoothed at least 2 urists above the water line. 

And if you notice the chestnut wood stairs access, there is a stone landing 2 urists above that current level where stone up-ramps are carved to harvest stones.  This way, the construction of the wooden stairs is ensured to be in "light" and above the lowest up-ramp. 

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2017, 10:31:47 pm »

JS is usually quite timely with his updates.
We have not gotten an update.
Therefore, i conclude that the fort has probably crumbled under a wave of winter werebeasts who are snacking on our bones as we speak.

JStheguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2017, 01:57:35 am »

Winter 253, The Ending Reign of JStheguy

7th of Moonstone
Fuck! Somehow someone managed to jam open one of the doors that was trapping a werecreature, so now the hospital has had to be completely locked down. I hope no one needs healthcare, or to use the well, in the near future.

14th of Moonstone
That one mad peasant finally stopped being mad after finishing this scepter.

Nice, nice. This is possibly the nicest thing to come out of this mess.

2nd of Opal
Oh boy, we've finally got our first proper noble. For the future overseers, be sure to throw this dwarf into the werecreature warehouse the moment they get uppity.

Also, this poses the issue of the need for better noble quarters. Especially given how the mayoral estate is inaccessable, as it is part of the locked down hospital building.

9th of Opal
I was looking through the paperwork on the tavern locally known as Cruelbarbs of Ale, and for some reason it does not accept visitors, even though a dozen bedrooms have been set up to only to be used as rentals for visitors. I've now corrected the issue, as well as assigning a full-time tavern keep.

12th of Opal
Ooh, and now we've got our first visitors, a human bard and two dwarven warriors.

13th of Opal
The baron has made their first demand, no bucklers are to be exported.

17th of Opal
...and the mayor has banned the export of quivers. Something tells me the baron and the mayor have a lot in common.

20th of Opal
Dear lord, the chief medical dwarf's taken advantage of the reassignment of the Cruelbarbs of Ale to start hosting weekly poetry slams.  Oh god, what have I done!

3rd of Obsidian
IT IS COMPLETE

5th of Obsidian
With the less than a month left in my reign, I've decided to take some time to do a bit of cleaning up.
The military's been in shambles due to the werebeast infection that hit the ranks, several squads have been completely depleted and those that aren't only have one or two dwarves in them. To slightly rectify this, I've disbanded all of the old squads, excepting the quarantine squads, and reformed the military into a single 10 dwarf guard. While not much, it's still bigger than what was there.

6th of Obsidian
The fuckers back in the mountainhomes have finally gotten around the making us a barony, so that's nice. But now I've got yet another noble yelling at me because I have built them a mansion yet. Well, I'm not going to, there isn't enough time left in my term to build anything even close to proper noble housing, so that'll be the problem of the next chowderhead to take this office. Actually, fuck it, I'm gonna bung offa work early to drink. The town can probably survive a few weeks of anarchy. I'll just tell them to build some roads and run off to the wine cellar while they aren't looking.

AND SO, THE REIGN OF JSTHEGUY COMES TO AN END

"Note to Future Overseers", A note by Kab "JS" Jadesmith, Outgoing Overseer of Ineth Zafal
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Save Game: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13009

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 13, 2017, 02:04:25 am »

Nggghhh WEREBEAST GHETTO Japa Neblime MaxSpin somebody do this.

Great turn JS!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 13, 2017, 06:27:04 am »

1. Werecreature relocation is probably going to be a priority to allow risk-free usage of the hospital. You're probably going to want to build a ghetto for them to live in, very well seperated from the rest of the city.
2. Noble housing is non-existant, hop to it before they go mad.
Some deep instinct tells me that these two tasks want to be combined into one task.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2017, 08:31:29 am »

Great update! 
Here's a few pressing issues you are going to have to tend to;
1. Werecreature relocation is probably going to be a priority to allow risk-free usage of the hospital. You're probably going to want to build a ghetto for them to live in, very well seperated from the rest of the city.

My suggestion is the dry moat in D2 as temporary.  It is 4 wide in the bottom z-2, and all "light" tiles.  Not climb-able up if digging down one more z, because the surface will act as a lip on both side leaving a 2-wide opening only. 

I was going to breach from hospital basement to moat at z-2 and use the artifact floodgate (placed in the tavern) as the main gate, and seal the current moat access by the quarry stairs.

Anyway, the were-beasts can be a whole new project in another district though.

2. Noble housing is non-existant, hop to it before they go mad.

Just construct stairs outside the hospital building to access z+2 and up, and even replace the hospital stairs with a floor (for now).

Some other district can probably build a mayor's mansion and the baron's palace with the military guards. 

The Cruelbarbs of Ale tavern is for citizens and long-term residence only, because a tavern for "all visitors" should not be part of the current burrow for "safety". 

It would suck to have were-visitors with the population.  Ideally, they can be outside the city walls and act as quarantine and filter for visitors who will be petitioning to join.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2017, 09:01:53 pm »

It would seem I'm up next. I have a weekend coming up, so I'll start then.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2017, 11:24:09 am »

Turn 4 images.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2017, 04:53:12 pm »

I am wondering if magma can be reached if the cliff-side quarry is dug deeper. 

Then we would need glass pumps!

The aquifer breach in Japa's section can bring magma via pump stack, it's 3x4 "lighted" if done right.

What are the rules for caverns though?  We did not dig it, can we explore?  Or do we need some light source (i.e. magma pit) to light our ways?

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2017, 11:05:29 pm »

Im guessing its only building that needs to be on above-ground tiles. Exploring, hunting, chopping shouldn't be restricted, even in the caverns.

Making a pump stack would be some work, given that all tiles need to be lighted. I suppose it'll follow the usual dig first then rebuild the floors and staircases. It'd be easier to excavate the skylight and go to the magma ourselves.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2017, 09:41:35 am »

Spoiler: Spring of my turn. (click to show/hide)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2017, 08:04:37 pm »

Oh, I forgot.  Please sign me up for another round.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2017, 11:03:26 pm »

Dun Dun Dunnnnn.....
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26