Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26

Author Topic: Ineth Zafal, a Humankin fortress  (Read 34257 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Ineth Zafal, a Humankin fortress
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2017, 09:48:29 am »

The good news: We freeze in the winter!

The bad news: For like a day.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2017, 11:12:05 am »

First year is finished!

Save is here: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12985

Map and pictures coming.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2017, 11:38:13 am »

It's 5x5, with only one cavern layer, not that it matters, since there won't be a lot of digging.

Oh, I want in on this.  It seems my Fortress: Pale is a primer for this.  Sign me up please.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2017, 11:39:37 am »

It's 5x5, with only one cavern layer, not that it matters, since there won't be a lot of digging.

Oh, I want in on this.  It seems my Fortress: Pale is a primer for this.  Sign me up please.
Chose a tile you want any time between now and your turn, though the sooner the less chance of somebody else taking it.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2017, 11:43:28 am »

D3 I think, it has a small part of the brook on the top, east of Neblime's.  (using my phone to see images, while posting at work)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2017, 11:53:39 am »

The Map:

I don't have photoshop back, so no labels as of yet.

Overview of my tile. Left is the dorms, far corner is the manager's quarters, and right corner is THE PIT. I have attempted to pierce the aquifer, but alas, I did not finish it in time for this turn, so we do not have stone yet. Near corner is the farms. We have enough crops for food and booze, and there's fresh water from the river.

THE PIT. Question marks are pumps, which I didn't make a model for yet. With a few dwarfs manning the pumps at each level, the water can be pumped into the river fast enough to wall off the sides of THE PIT, theoretically. Only 2.5 out of 4 sides are done so far.

Manager's quarters. He does triple duty as manager, broker, and bookkeeper.

The wagon!
We don't have any proper hangout place yet, so people just mill around the wagon until we get somewhere better.

Workshops. It's a mess, really, but it works.

Resting place, for both the living, and the dead.

Food storage. I forgot to put a roof on it. It's above the beds.

This was meant to be a well, until I realized we don't have a rope. I even made a mechanism from an iron bar the merchants brought. Rope can be made, but I was too busy with THE PIT.

Farm plots. We're growing a variety of crops, with the fanciest being sunberries.

neblime, you're up.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2017, 11:55:22 am »

D3 I think, it has a small part of the brook on the top, east of Neblime's.  (using my phone to see images, while posting at work)

That's D2. I put you down for that.

Also, THE PIT is free for anybody that wants to try to make it a usable quarry. It's mostly set up, but just needs time. Once it's working, everybody is free to take stone from there.

Those adventurous enough can also expand the pit outwards, after what's there currently is working, as long as it doesn't extend out of the center tile, and anything that needs to be removed to make room for it has a replacement somewhere else.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 12:02:01 pm by Japa »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2017, 04:49:45 am »

I've taken the liberty of creating a DFMA map for Overseers wanting to see the lay of the land. A bugger of a conundrum - to build next to the river on uneven terrain, or to build dry inland?

Spoiler: Additional screens (click to show/hide)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2017, 09:02:57 am »

Right now, D3 and E3 are both next to a river and have flat terrain. They're the only remaining ones, though.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2017, 08:44:45 pm »

sorry for the delays i will do my turn soon I promise!
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2017, 10:55:08 am »

Sorry, but, I'm having to unclaim. I can't do my turn at the moment.

Avanti!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2017, 11:12:32 am »

It's fine.

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
  • My sole interest is uncovering the truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2017, 01:47:28 pm »

So I'm wondering; I know we can't build on other peoples' cells, but can we adjust production to fit our needs? I assume we're not encountering HFS (though I imagine sieges will be prominent and an extreme problem) but in case we need to shift production to something else, can we shut things down as long as we turn them back on by the end of our turns?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2017, 07:18:16 pm »

There's no restrictions on changing production. All workshop orders are free game.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2017, 04:31:42 am »

done now, the save may take some time to upload though.

First thing i noticed upon loading the save is that there's a lot of unicorns around!  I didn't move in that direction but hunting them could be immensely profitable,
At first I thought my square wasnt so good because it's on a fairly steep slope but it turns out that means i could quarry straight to stone without going through the aquifer
I build a sort of barracks defensive complex, didn't have time to put traps all around it but i guess that has to wait,
somehow the fortress "attracted no migrants this season" with only 18 dwarves so i didn't think it was wise to reduce the labour pool by recruiting anyone either
If anyone wants to make a squad later feel free to use the barracks i made for training.
I also made a bunch of spiked wooden balls for trade, I had an order for menacing wooden spikes to use in weapon traps but feel free to cancel that since I didn't have time to make the traps
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 04:33:23 am by neblime »
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26