Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26

Author Topic: Ineth Zafal, a Humankin fortress  (Read 34533 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Ineth Zafal, a Humankin fortress
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2017, 08:53:05 pm »

If you press esc, you get a menu that allows you to change some settings.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2017, 01:48:34 am »

Spoiler: Updated placement map (click to show/hide)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2017, 12:22:44 am »

Ch 3: Marmota Antropos

Limestone, 252

The designated chief medical doctor, Nish is enthused of his new summer job.  The medical building construction is progressing well, but Nish began demanding that a proper clinic requires a functioning well. 

Zas points out that the nearby stream nearby will be sufficient, but mayor Sakzul convinces the workers and dismantle a portion of the hospital in preparation for a dig site.  Zas decides to supervise this project to ensure no “dark” or “mishap” happen.

--
The outpost liaison Dumat Sigunes from Athserkol arrives with the caravan.  Sakzul conducts the meeting at the wagon because she has no office yet.  Liaison Dumat reports, “The world is the same as ever.”

Zas joins the meeting and requests for metal bars and anvils.  After the meeting, Zas went to get a meal and let the merchants wait.  Eventually, Zas traded the bins of wooden pikes and balls for tons of rocks, weapons, booze, food, leather and clothing.

Sandstone, 252

Nine more migrants arrives to join the village which is great for the constructions.

The well is complete, and awaits to be filled with water using a brigade of water buckets.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The dry moat system project is in progress as well.

Moonstone, 252

The engineers insists on stone pillar support for the construction of "3rd St." that lays north of District 2, and traversing in the east and west direction. 

The squads in the military complex activated to full-time training, and removed from construction duties:  The Watch Commander (swords), Jackwood Union (axe), Blunt Militia (war hammer), City Patrol (spears), City Watch (crossbows), and Special Forces (whips). 

Opal, 252

On the 4th day of Opal, Innu the were-marmot child comes.

Innu is running towards District 2 from the east and the squads are called to stations.  The citizens alert is activated for all to report into Disctrict 2.  The city walls are not complete, but the dry moat should hinder the intrusion of the were-marmot Innu.

Mayor Sakzul demanded to raise the South Bridge despite of only having the rank of a recruit!  Zas pleads to wait for the stragglers, but it is too late to wait.  Someone pulled the lever.

Soldier Olon is on the bridge when it abruptly raised shut.  Olon is thrown in an arc towards 1st and Broadway, and skidded along the dirt.

Farmer Thob is still far away from the bridge and felt vengeful at the sight of Innu.

Olon while being flung up in the air, shoots a crossbow bolt and hit Innu in the guts.  Innu jumps down the moat, and fails to grab onto the diorite block wall. 

Oh, no.  Farmer Thob says, “I cannot just stand by.  I will take revenge!” and jumps down after Innu.

Innu mauls Thob with bites in the upper body, right upper leg, and left upper leg tearing through muscles and skin.

Witnesses heard Innu says, “I have improved my fighting.  That was very satisfying!”

Innu continues to bite and begins to latch onto Thob’s head.

The South Bridge is pulled back down so the City Watch can station from the bridge and shoot below. 

Soldier Olon, jumps down the moat and engages Innu while it is latched onto Thob. 

The hatch and door access to the moat is opened and Cmdr. Melbil orders all squads to kill.

Innu begins tearing tendons in the skull of Thob.

Olon shoots a crossbow bolt point blank in Innu’s neck, tearing a tendon in the upper spine.  Olon smiles and says, “I have improved my crossbow.  That was very satisfying!”

Innu shakes Thob around the head to the point of tearing a tendon in the upper spine. 

As Olon reloads the crossbow, Innu release its grip off the farmer and turns to Olon.  Olon’s smile fades quick as Innu bites her starting from the left foot, then lower body, and up the head.

Olon is stunned, and stunned again!  The force bends Olon’s neck, tearing apart skin.

Innu latches on Olon’s lower body and shakes her about tearing apart the lower spine’s nervous tissues!

In the mean time, rest of the squads have not even reached the hatch access to the moat.

Olon is dead.  When the squads finally arrives, Farmer Thob is dead.  There is nothing else to do that charge!

Mebzuth stabs Innu in the neck, fracturing the spine with a bronze short sword.  Innu then bites Mebzuth in the lower body, tearing a tendon in the lower spine.

Innu then charges into Sakzul despite being bashed in the left hand with an iron war hammer. 

Innu stands up and uses a sheep wool left glove and strikes Sakzul in the left hand with such force it bends the left wrist.

Soldier Ablel slashes with his iron short sword in the right upper arm, and the injured part is cloven asunder. 

Innu looses hold of the gloves, and with no more weapon wielded, it bites Sakzul’s left and right hands, causing some bruises and skin tears. 

Ablel slashes the left lower leg, severing sensory nerves, and the were-marmot child falls over. 

Mebzuth also slashes at the left lower leg, but Innu bites and latches on Mebzuth’s lower body.  He is shaken and another tendon tears in the lower spine. 

Mebzuth is getting mauled with bites in the right lower arm and left hand. 

Sakzul’s hammer bashes the left lower arm, Mebzurh slashes the lower body, and Captain Etur joins the fray with a bronze spear stab in the left lower leg. 

Innu bites Mebzuth in the left hand and the wrist collapses, bronze sword dropping on the ground.  Mebzuth visciously retaliates and bites Innu's right lower arm, then upper body, denting muscles.  Mebzuth bites the were-marmoth child in the head, tearing muscles. 

Innu’s blood lost is so vast that it stopped moving.  The fight is over.

Sakzul and Etur went to get rest.  Mebzuth remain laying on the ground, badly injured.

All the while, the civilians inside are listening to Vutok reciting poetry, “Vine and the Trails.”

--

And with such tragedy, it can only be overcome with joy and happiness from the blessings of more babies born.

--

Now there is great concern about those who were bitten and scratched by Innu.  A quick solution is to remove existing walls and floors of an area in the hospital, and dig down to make "lighted" basement rooms, a Quarantine Room. 

--

Vutok, a woodcrafter has been possessed and claims a craft's shop, then gathers logs, cloth and an iron bar.  She creates Uthirok, “Searedfinger”, a willow figurine of Geshud Plunmgedwork the Punches of Leaping.

Obsidian, 252

Mebzuth, Sakzul and Etur are assigned to Quarantine Squad and stationed to train in the Quarantine room below the hospital.

On the 2nd day of Obsidian, the full moon rises with Mebzuth, Sakzul and Etur transforming into were-marmots!  Unfortunately, the stray cat was locked inside there and was beheaded.

This unfortunate scenario compels The City of Air to appoint Vutok as interim mayor, since Sakzul is infected.

Mayor Vutok prohibits bucklers from export, and demands the Quarantine Rooms be expanded.

When the moon sets on the 4th day,  Mebzuth is attacked by Etur.  Mebzuth defends himself, and Sakzul starts fighting Etur.  Mebzuth kills Etur.  Sakzul starts to lead a demonstration in Combat Training.

But Mebzuth had something else in mind like attacking Sakzul.  The two continue to fight in the Quarantine Barracks until Sakzul kills Mebzuth. 

Well, that defeats the purpose of expanding the hospital, to give the Quarantine Squad more room.  Unfortunately, a mishap collapse in the construction leaving six workers unconscious.

The rest of the year stays relatively calm.  The end.

The Save

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2017, 01:46:38 am »

I'd like to join!
If everyone's okay with it I'll build a minecart railgun in E3. If not I'll take D3 instead.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2017, 05:25:22 am »

Everyone setting up their own quarry with blackjack and hookers lol.

Btw, apologies for this, but I'd like to change my tile to B1. The reason for this is I just realised we have limited sky (17z), which is an absolute travesty when one aims to build certain... structures. *ahem ahem* tower *hacking cough*

Anyway, my point is that B1 has alot lower ground that should be sufficient for my plans. Plus, it's not a bad-looking plot for a side tile. Again, sorry sorry Japa.

JStheguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2017, 06:15:33 am »

Year 5: The Reign of JStheguy

Journal of Kab "JS" Jadesmith, Dwarven Philosopher

21st of Obsidian, 252

Well, journal, I honestly completely expected this. My sternly worded condemnation of how the Charcoal Wheel has made ample use of the "Humankin" scare to silence dissenting dwarves by declaring them "mentally undwarven" and carting them off to the so-called "humankin sanctuary" of Ineth Zafal has been heard by the Charcoal Wheel.
Obviously, they then declared me mentally undwarven on trumped-up charges and have sent me off to Ineth Zafal. Though, in a less expected turn, I have also been chosen to take over overseer duties for Ineth Zafal once the current overseer's term is finished at the end of the month, which should line up nicely with when I expect to arrive. I'll write again once I've arrived and taken stock of what exactly I've been shanghai'd into leading.

1st of Granite, 253

I've taken stock of the situation, and it looks like there is some good news and some bad news.
The good news, food and shelter seems to have been handled pretty well by my predecessors, as there seems to be enough housing for the current population and the raw food stockpiles are practically overflowing for a colony of this size.
The bad news, nowhere near the same level of care has been given to establishment of proper production, as the various workshops and stockpiles have seemingly been set up at random out in the open, to be exposed to the whims of the elements.
Furthermore, the processing of raw food into mead and meals is practically nonexistent. Not a single prepared meal exists within the borders of the village, and almost all of alcohol reserves are imports from the mountain-homes.

In fact, a quick inspection reveals there are no kitchens, nor fisheries to process the large amount of raw fish there is stockpiled, nor butcher shops to process fallen animals.
This must clearly be rectified post-haste. The plot of land which village by-laws state I am restricted to building upon shall be dedicated to the core industry that every settlement of every civilized race requires, the foodstuff industry. I must be off to coordinate the construction at once!

3rd of Granite, 253
Shit.

While I was overseeing the clearing of the future production site, goblins arrived with ill intent, I've quickly gathered up all the military dwarves I could find and have sent them off to deal with the threat. Hope they know what they're doing.

5th of Granite, 253
The battle is won. Every goblin, as well as the goblin-raised humans that came with them, has either died or been forced to flee, though it isn't without loss; Vutok Uthmikkilrud was killed in the attack, and our lads in the field have taken a number of hits in the fighting, nothing that seems too serious, at least.

11th of Granite, 253
Works been going along quite nicely for the new food processing plant, and the elven caravan has arrived. Unsurprisingly, little has been traded between us and the elves except for rude looks.

18th of Granite, 253
I just noticed a complaint the mayor lodged about her sub-standard accommodations, namely that she lacked a place to store weapons and armor. Not wanting to anger someone who has need of a weapon rack, I had someone bring the requested furniture to her quarters.

1st of Slate, 253
Construction of the whole production plant is not yet finished, but I have set up some kitchens and produced some of our first prepared meals.

Welcome to high dining, Ineth Zafal

11th of Slate, 253
Some good news and some bad news, journal.
The good news, the initial food processing plant has been completed. Here's a nice drawing I made of it.

In it's current state it holds kitchens, stills, and some fisherys and butcherys, with a quite large food storage on the lower level. Though I do hope to expand it to include farmer's workshops and a mill later.
The bad news, however, is migrants. A sudden influx of migrants has caused the population of this village to hit the 90s, which means we now have fewer bedrooms than dwarves. While there are certainly a number of couples sharing bedrooms that will reduce demand, this means that future migrants will almost certainly be sleeping on the streets if we don't build surplus housing before then.
So therefore we must handle housing before then, some new housing is on the agenda. Hope the construction workers didn't tire themselves out building the plant.

14th of Slate, 253
I've broken in the new butchery by having some stray animals put through it.
Also, it seems we've been upgraded from a village to a town. Well done, lads!

25th of Slate, 253
I think work on the new anticipatory housing may have taken its toll on one of the dwarves. He just stopped building and ran off towards the workshops, babbling about "being the tool of the ancient ones to enact their glory upon the earth" or some such nonsense. Whatever, I'm a political philosopher, not a theological philosopher, what would I know?

26th of Slate, 253
The mad dwarf has started smithing something at the metal forge. Strangely, he doesn't seem to have actually heated the forge.

2nd of Felsite, 253
Well, Mr. Mad Lad has finished his great project, though he claims to have no idea what happened or how he ended up creating something of such superior quality. I don't really buy it, but he's heading back off to work on the housing project, so that's good.

12th of Felsite, 253
The cooks have been claiming to see a, and I quote, "G-G-G-G-GHOST!" milling about the stills, so I've decided to build the ghost a memorial slab, to keep the cooks minds at ease while they make the town's meals.

17th of Felsite, 253
Oh god.

The military was able to put down the cyclops, but Urist Udarďteb, Captain Urist, was killed in the battle. Additional injuries were incurred by several other dwarven warriors. Otherwise, life continues as normal.

22nd of Felsite, 253
Oh lord.

Once again, the military put down the threat, with only a single civilian casualty. But, with a werebeast, we have to deal with finding any infected, and then isolating them, and so on and so forth. If I make a single mistake then the town will be torn apart by these werebeasts before the end of summer.

1st of Hematite, 253
Well, I think I've managed to single out the infected and lock them in the basement. That should keep us safe, I hope.
Well, I'll be sure to write soon, when the next great disaster strikes.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 06:20:20 am by JStheguy »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2017, 07:45:49 am »

Hey, we're getting casualties!

I suppose that's a byproduct of the building rules - there are dwarves inevitably exposed because we can't cordon off the whole area, and Sanctume's tile is the only safe area to burrow in atm.

I like it.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2017, 07:49:40 am »

New rule:

Walls can be build crossing roads to connect to other player's walls, but there must be a big enough openable gate to allow a caravan through.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2017, 09:57:32 am »

Awesome update!  And wow, a siege, a titan-level monster, and a were-ASS! 

New rule:

Walls can be build crossing roads to connect to other player's walls, but there must be a big enough openable gate to allow a caravan through.

The surface roads should not be "walled" because no constructions can be built on roads.  But an overpass would work.  We're above ground now, let's think vertical. 

@JStheguy.  Some note I had.
- Created pasture zones near bridges and assign some stray animal to act as early warning.  i.e. doggo on northeast bridge of D2. 
- had no time to build archery range, because I would be building in the military complex.  But nice silver crossbow! 
- The hospital I create is small for my standard, so someone can create a better hospital district in the future.  Easy enough to remove zone and convert it to shared bedrooms-- or even a prison since there is a well.  Is the pond filing ok? I have not checked. 

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2017, 01:31:04 pm »

I meant in the sense we can have a gate with the road passing through the gate. This way the city can become a bit more defensible.

Unless we want to have separate islands that everybody runs to. That's fun too.

JStheguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2017, 10:24:27 pm »

The Summer of Fear, The Continuing Reign of JStheguy

4th of Hematite, 253
The mayor just burst in, demanding a quiver to further sate her weaponry fetish. Upon trying to find the leatherworks or a clothier's shop, I am stunned to find there are none. Thus, I've taken it upon myself to build a bit of a general workhouse for leatherworking.

13th of Hematite, 253
The human caravans have arrived, and they seem to be quite unamused by our attempts to play human. However, they are quite mercantile at heart and so are quite willing to exchange a large variety of exotic meats, leathers, and clothing for this massive fuck-off pile of wooden trap components we've had lying around.

15th of Hematite, 253
Finally got the leatherworks up and running, so now I can have a leatherworker make the mayor's damn quiver.

17th of Hematite, 253
Mayoral elections have just finished, and the genius dwarves of Ineth Zafal have decided that one of the infected dwarves that are currently locked in the quarantine basement of doom should be mayor. Presumably this is a protest vote against my reign as overseer or against the previous mayors insatiable lance lust. But, as royally appointed fallguy overseer, I am within my right to overturn this madness on the grounds that the new mayor is unfit to rule, because he is a fucking werecreature. Thus, the mayoral position shall remain unchanged until next election.

19th of Hematite, 253
The quarantine failed.
An infected dwarf had been missed and was transformed into a horrific werebeast, who then proceeded to rampage within the food processing plant.
I was able to get the doors locked before he could get out, but every dwarf still inside is surely damned.

20th of Hematite, 253
I was right, every dwarf except for the werebeast died, I have had him assigned to the quarantine zone with the rest of his kind. The foul stench of death clings to the trashed kitchen, blood splattered across it's rustic wooden walls.

5th of Malachite, 253
Things have started calming down since the second outbreak. Work on the new housing is going as planned, the kitchen has been repaired, and several births have just happened. So perhaps we aren't fucked just yet...

15th of Malachite, 253
Whelp, more dwarves have been "migrated" to our werebeast afflicted shantytown. 10 in total, bringing us back up to 90-odd dwarves.

17th of Malachite, 253
The chief medical dwarf was SOMEHOW infected in the last outbreak, and turned in the middle of a crowd in District 2. Plus, a fishery worker was infected as well and has gone berserk in the food processing plant! I've ordered the drawbridge closed to try and con-

FUCK!

20th of Malachite, 253
Oh god...
So much blood...
We've lost several dwarves, plus who knows how many infected.
In fact, I don't even know how many are injured or infected, because the chief medical dwarf was one of the ones killed.
I've promoted one of the doctors up to the position, and I am awaiting his report. But I fear the situation may have deteriorated too badly to save the town from the werebeast meanace.

21st of Malachite, 253
I believe I have managed to find out who the infected are and am currently trying to quarantine them in the hospital. If I am even remotely correct, there are at least 12 infected dwarves in the town.

27th of Malachite, 253
The 12 suspected infected have been successfully quarantined.
But I fear there are many more left out in the open that I haven't been able to find...

I'm going to eat some fried fish to calm my nerves.

28th of Malachite, 253
Another dwarf has gone mad, once again babbling about the old gods and taking over the forge for his own purposes.

8th of Galena, 253
The latest victim of supernatural happenstance has been freed from his possession, and has come out of the experience one fancy cup richer.

15th of Galena, 253

Once again, a dwarf slipped through the quarantine. A fish cleaner, turned feral within the fishery area of the plant. A dwarf I sent to quickly lock the most direct route out of the room says she's currently preoccupied with mutilating a baby.

16th of Galena, 253
The moon has set, and the fish cleaner has been set off to quarantine. Excepting that baby, no uninfected dwarf has fallen to the werebeast menace.

25th of Galena, 253
We've finally gotten around to dealing with the numerous dead acquired over the months. Seems we're going to need a bigger cemetery than the current ad-hoc one that was set up by a previous overseer, or the covered pit I've had the workers throw together.
But I'll handle that management fiasco later. Right now, I need a drink.

In memory of those lost

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2017, 01:33:13 am »

Oh wow, another type or were-beast.  But it looks like there are only were-asses left. 

With dead human merchants, was one of the were-bear the guard? 

We should think of a quarantine screening meeting center for traders and future migrants.  Or maybe a tavern for "all" visitors and gain human mercenaries.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2017, 03:00:38 am »

When ye be gettin' werebeasties,
every week o' summmmeeer

When ye can't catch a break,
cause ya getting hit by a stick

When the scratchin' and bitiiiin',
never seem to end

Lookin' high and low,
but ye can't find a cuuuure

Do ye know whaddit means?
It's written in the stars
It's written in the moon
It's written in the bones
Of your dead old crones.

JStheguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2017, 05:14:12 pm »

Quick update. I just realized I broke the rules sometime during my turn. In a fit of absent minded brilliance, I, uh, I kinda slapped down a dozen extra coffins in the C3 dorm/graveyard while dealing with one of the numerous crisies.  Honestly I don't know how I didn't notice what I was doing.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2017, 06:11:29 pm »

Human monks are known to use catacombs to bury the dead or construct walls out of skulls. 
Make it a temple, then treat it as tainted ground. :)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26