Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26

Author Topic: Ineth Zafal, a Humankin fortress  (Read 34243 times)

JStheguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ineth Zafal, a Humankin fortress
« Reply #150 on: August 11, 2017, 02:42:30 pm »

Letter from Kab Ucim "JS" Jadesmith, Head of the Ineth Zafal Department of Tourism, to Más Spindrill, Overseer of Ineth Zafal
'Aight, I've gotten your memo about the new library, and I've put together a leaflet that should attract visitors.
Mind, as I haven't had the time to check what tomes we actually have in stock, this initial draft is just using some completely and utterly meaningless filler text in the place of the great works of the city's collection. But, I've shown this current draft to a good number of people around town, just as a bit of an audience test, and they already seemed to quite like the general design already. So hopefully the people in the places we plan to distribute these leaflets will be similarly receptive to the finalized design.

(OOC: I would also like to sign up for a second tour of duty as overseer, if that would be seen as acceptable.)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 11, 2017, 03:32:16 pm »

attn: Ucim "JS" Jadesmith, Head of the Ineth Zafal Department of Tourism
It seems that my memo may have been unclear. The library, the Treasury of Spears, is still unfinished (though open) and I figured it would be best to wait until it's complete before alerting the Tourism Board. Akkuus Tunul, on the other hand, is a giant blue dam spanning the west gorge, the existence of which had heretofore been kept secret; the desire to build a giant dam is actually the reason I picked this region to administer. I apologise for the confusion.

Regards,
Más Spindrill, Overseer

Here is an artist's impression of Akkuus Tunul, which was attached to the previously mentioned memo and is now provided for public consumption:
Spoiler: big wall (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 03:34:45 pm by Maximum Spin »

JStheguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 11, 2017, 03:53:21 pm »

Letter from Ucim "JS" Jadesmith, Head of the Ineth Zafal Department of Tourism, to Más Spindrill, Overseer of Ineth Zafal
Well, this is awkward. Hopefully this quickly done up new design will fit the requirements. It was the best my team could do while still keeping on schedule.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 12, 2017, 12:08:33 am »

I've added JStheguy back onto the end of the list.

That dam will make my plans interesting. We'll see.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 12, 2017, 04:53:35 am »

I thought I'd be able to finish the year today, but it's getting way too late and I still have most of two months to go, so please accept the following PARTIAL UPDATE:

«attn: Ucim "JS" Jadesmith, Head of the Air City Department of Tourism

Your proposal regarding the Akkuus Tunul leaflet is accepted. Please prepare copies for distribution among next year's caravans.

Best regards,
Más Spindrill, Human Overseer»

«MEMORANDUM
for Más Spindrill, Overseer
by Captain Ñethu Ringclasp the Insight of Leagues, Manager of Production, Air City
Timber 9th, 255

Per your request, I have taken measures to improve the efficiency of Air City's lines of production by ordering the workers to keep a close watch on the available levels of various goods and materials and replenish them as necessary. Further, those materials which Air City does not produce, but acquires through trade, or produces only slowly (such as written quires for binding), are to be immediately processed as far as is reasonable. Certain other materials will be permitted to stockpile a bit first. I put quite a lot of effort into it, and it's a bit complex to explain, but we can meet in person to go over the paperwork if you need to know the details. Please also inform your successor about this system so I don't have to explain it all twice.

Yours,
Ñethu Ringclasp the Insight of Leagues, Manager»

«attn: Renal Rewardshield, Militia Commander, and Captain of the Guard Ñethu Ringclasp, the Insight of Leagues
on 23 Timber a·m·255

The coming of winter leaves me uneasy with our militia likely inadequate to counter an attack from the blasted goblins. I am authorising you to impose a draft to fill out our two extant squads and appoint a third. It is my intent that this new squad be composed of crossbowmen or other ranged soldiers capable of furnishing the infantry with covering fire. I leave the selection of recruits to your discretion, but I suggest in particular considering certain of our hunters, whose proven skill with the crossbow has already been an asset to the city; I am given to understand that there are ranger mercenaries staying in town as well. Regarding infantry, to be quite frank, we have no metalworking industry to speak of and rely solely on bought or borrowed weapons and armour, so it may be best to choose, as it were, the less necessary of the city's inhabitants. It is imperative that these appointments be made as soon as possible, lest we be caught unawares.

Regards,
Más Spindrill, Human Overseer and Commander in Chief (pro tem)

«attn: Thora Diamondeast, Clerk
on 27 Timber a·m·255

While supervising the construction of the crypt, I noticed in our books that we seem to have acquired thirteen granite sarcophagi of the kind used by the rock-loving dwarves. The thought of even the possibility of a human being interred in such a shameful container overwhelms me. I must order that these coffins be strictly forbidden, and I hope that none shall be constructed within the boundaries of Air City of any material but honest wood ever again.

Best Regards,
Más Spindrill, Overseer

Memo of meeting, 255-10-13, with Nganiz Roastedcudgels, Stone Carver
(Rákfil Reignedmirrored, Mayor, Glazier)

Nganiz (the stoneworker who made the Courtesy of Stakes) complains that Obin Commoncloisters had forced her way into his workshop and kicked him out, demanding he bring her shells for someone or something called "Tattoodeath Dippedfissure". Probably another case of possession. Note to self, check with bookkeeper to find out if we have any shells, because Nganiz couldn't find any and I'm pretty sure she's going to crack.

I should have the rest by the end of tomorrow. I don't know what's taking so long, I've certainly had plenty of time. Well, spending at least a solid hour in the job manager window maybe didn't help.
nb· someone appointed the Captain of the Guard as manager, which is fine, except that the city's industry now grinds to a halt if you activate the main military squad. The mercenary squad doesn't have this problem.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 12, 2017, 07:13:00 am »

If we're doing a lot of work orders, it might be prudent to assign a dedicated manager, actually.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 12, 2017, 07:50:49 pm »

Wait we dont have one!? How does this fort even run, i cant live without work orders
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 12, 2017, 11:31:57 pm »

Ñethu is a legendary organiser, our best by far, so I think we'll be fine with her.

The Proclamations of Más Famostrul, Human Overseer (a·m·255)

15 Opal:
Lum the farmer fell into the river and drowned. Then the river froze. Nobody told me the river would freeze. Luckily, nobody was in it at the time. I leave it up to my successor to drain the canyon using the pumping station to retrieve Lum's stuff and the valuable logs that are also down there. Oh, and the body, I guess.

23 Opal:
Actually, the river thawed today, so I'm ordering the pumpers to start pumping again now.

2 Obsidian:
I have just been informed that Semod the cook has been found drowned in the river. Apparently, the river has taken over from the trees as Air City's official random deathtrap. All citizens are ordered to avoid the river banks until further notice, unless you want your body to be left rotting underwater for months or forever if it winds up in an area we can't drain.

Diary of MelbilNithim Laboredstrapped, Human Miner
entry for Obsidian Nineteenth, annus mundi Two Hundred and Fifty-Five

«Today, when I was at the...» um, library (I'm still working on learning Human), «I saw a walkway I never noticed before, and, following it, I found myself, to my» surprise and embarassment, «in the Duchess' own bedroom! It turned out that the walkway was a» construction access «while the room is still being built... the Duchess was quite kind about it, though. She's always seemed like» a decent person «when I've met her in the» library «working on her writing before.»

Journal of Amak Baldworks, Brewer

Obs. 19 - Olon's eggs hatched today! Seven lovely new peachicks have come into the world, and it looks like she's already laying a new batch. The wonderful thing about living with other humans instead of dwarves is I can trust that nobody's going to try to eat them. Dwarves just have no respect for pets, but that's not a problem anymore! Soon every street in Air City will ring with the beautiful song of Olon's family heralding the morning! And all other times!

The Proclamations of Más Famostrul, Human Overseer (a·m·255)

21 Obsidian:
That now goes for murky pools too. Nice job, Ves the fisherman. Hope you like mud, you'll be seeing a lot of it for the next eternity.

28 Obsidian:
And on that uplifting note, my term has come to an end. Tomorrow the next aquovnushrat takes over. I hope that he or she doesn't think my reign has been a total mess! At least we weren't attacked by anything, and Unfortunate Nek didn't escape. A small request for my successors: please consider accumulating cobaltite, orthoclase, and willow, and forbidding those materials from use for any purpose other than construction. I have been using cobaltite to construct Akkuus Tunul (which has still not reached its intended final thickness), and orthoclase and willow are the main materials for the palace complex, which includes both the library and the Duchess' rooms, as well as more rooms to be constructed during future terms. I prefer for important buildings to be consistent. And for the gods' sake don't build any stone coffins.

Well, that ended without anything particularly interesting happening. I didn't even have anything to take a picture of. I'm actually quite disappointed that the goblins didn't attack. And since I mentioned Unfortunate Nek, I should add that I moved him to a new home in the catacombs under the palace, so the hospital can be rebuilt whenever that square is up again. Literally everything I started building isn't done, probably because I tried doing way too much stuff at once; I did build a bunch of miscellaneous workshops we didn't have, though. They aren't exactly well-organised. It would be a good idea to stock up on fuel from the caravans so we can make glass and clay objects without sacrificing our own trees (otherwise we might as well make things out of wood). Finally, the point of the palace complex was to house noble quarters, offices, the library, the trade depot and associated stockpiles, and a nice labyrinthine werebeast-infested crypt underneath, so obviously it would be great, though probably not in the best interests of the city, if you would all refrain from building any of that stuff anywhere else, even if ghosts show up. :P

Save is give.

As I implied, I'd like to sign up for another turn.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 12, 2017, 11:43:35 pm »

Okay, neblime, if you're feeling you can take your turn now, otherwise bearsky is up.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 13, 2017, 04:44:56 pm »

yep, good to go now, I will take my turn
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 13, 2017, 06:53:11 pm »

It's been a while since my tile has been touched....
in fact its completely overgrown right now
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
also there's a refuse stockpile here.. gross
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
honestly i can't remember if i put that there myself, I suppose i must have..
Looks like there's a lot of work to do in any case

JStheguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 13, 2017, 11:24:39 pm »

Yeah, if I could give any advice, it would be to tear down the current adhoc fort and build a better one with actual barracks and the like.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 13, 2017, 11:42:18 pm »

Favoring reconstruction and addition over tearing down things. The fort is actually quite nice, if a little small.

JStheguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 14, 2017, 04:16:44 am »

Actually, building on that post from nebline, perhaps its time to unveil the unseemly side of Ineth Zafal that makes the great tourist traps of the city possible.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 14, 2017, 09:44:26 am »

Even the hospital was not without failures, even before the werewolf attacks of 253, as seen with how shoddily built sections of floor are quickly taken over by the local undergrowth, ruining any chance the facility could have at decent hygiene.

Aha, nope, the hospital was perfect when first built. 

It was when the were-ass attack the prompted deconstruction of existing part, in order to dig "lighted" basement as per city ordinance. 

But someone need to be hammered for that shoddy placement of surgery tables on dirt floors!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26