Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 26

Author Topic: Ineth Zafal, a Humankin fortress  (Read 34530 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ineth Zafal, a Humankin fortress
« Reply #210 on: September 13, 2017, 10:15:35 pm »

Actually, nevermind, the tree-hugger caravan arrived and reset the quota. They also raised it to a maximum of 108 trees cut.

EDIT:
Not as much an update as a set of goals.

My primary project right now is the automatic minecart railgun. I will use a enemy-detecting contraption of my own design (that works on trap-avoiders) to activate a roller system that fills a minecart with water, raises it to the top z-level using spiral track ramps, accelerates to 50k, then lets it roll down another spiral track ramp to the very bottom, hitting a fortification at about 140k. (Is that enough? I hope it is.)

My secondary project is to pierce the caverns. I would create a downward staircase through the aquifer, along with a sort of "cavern hub" building at the surface. I would like an exception be made to the "no underground buildings" rule by allowing placing cage traps in the caverns, but disallowing any mining or any other kind of building.

My final project is to get magma to the surface. I'll have to completely dig out a 1x4 area all the way to the magma sea to ensure that the whole construction is "light". I'd then have to go through, installing floors and pumps where needed. I probably won't finish this in time, so whoever is my successor should feel free to continue it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:59:30 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 13, 2017, 11:59:54 pm »

• Where is the floodgate to close the river dam? I have to use some water power in my current project.
If you mean my dam, there's a cobaltite lever labeled something relevant just south of the dam's lip.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 14, 2017, 12:48:44 am »

I'd say any buildings that dwarfs don't work in should be fine in natural caverns.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 14, 2017, 01:13:09 am »

Just some clarification on the rules -- am I not allowed to reveal any subterranean tiles at all? I'm asking since it seems like carving out stairs make the stairs Inside Dark Subterrranean but building stairs make it Inside Light Above Ground.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 14, 2017, 01:25:59 am »

Yeah, constructing stairs is preferred.

Regarding digging deep, by the end of my next turn, we should have enough hole for anybody.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 14, 2017, 01:34:55 am »

Sweet plans! I propose we name the watergun the Big Bloop. Which direction will it be facing? Or is it multidirectional?

I probably won't finish this in time, so whoever is my successor should feel free to continue it.

I think this'll probably be illegal, even with your permission. Can't build in anyone's square, that's rule numero uno.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 14, 2017, 10:12:32 pm »

Dammit. When I place my minecart on the first roller, it goes all the way up to the tile before the next roller, and then rolls back down. Almost like it's trying to spite me. I'll have to think of something...

Also, update coming soon. Probably not today, but tomorrow.

EDIT: Also, I'm starting a separate project involving a water tower, since I'm too lazy right now to pierce the aquifer, with the addition restriction to not be able to carve stairs. I'm only a season in, so I should have enough time for it later.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 10:31:32 pm by bloop_bleep »

5crownik007

• Bay Watcher
  • 5crownik007 cancels Homework, playing Dwarf Fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 15, 2017, 02:19:44 am »

My initial reaction is:
"Ha, dwarves that identify as humans, running a surface fort, how foolish."
But then I'm like,
"Man why not a proper human fort with no nobles or anything it'd be way more hardcore"
and then,
"But yeah I suppose this is kewl."
https://i.gyazo.com/a2e73b4fe5612640aacbe46cb4c78740.gif
The Soviet invasion of the Reich fort in arena. Soviets won despite... that.
---------------------------
GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 16, 2017, 01:03:50 am »

Sorry, didn't have time to finish an update today. (Began working on one, but then I accidentally reloaded the page and erased it all.) I'll do it tomorrow, I promise.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 17, 2017, 01:51:10 am »

Damn. Forgot to do an update today. Guess I like to play the game more than I like to write updates about it.  :D But basically:
  • I finished almost all of the minecart railgun, though a test run caused a minecart to stop short on the track. I think it must be a faulty roller (as in, I specified the wrong direction.)
  • I screwed up my first attempt at breaching the aquifer, so I floored it over and started again. I'm starting get the hang of it this time.
  • I completed the river pump stack. Not yet done with the water reservoir yet, though.
And I'm only halfway in.  :D

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 17, 2017, 12:57:21 pm »

When I play, I have a google doc tab open and write down date, season, year, and what I plan to do or what's happening, or even when saving the game when I'm done. 

If something interesting, I make a screen shot and save it locally in a folder using paint.exe and paste that filename in my document.

I read over my document when away from DF, and try to spin a story of explain more on what I am building.

And when time permits, I do another re-read and editing.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 18, 2017, 12:42:03 am »

That's pretty close to what I do; I take notes in a text editor as I go. I usually write it up as a story from the start, though, in full BBCode suitable for pasting directly into the forum. (It helps that I host all my own images so I know what the URL will be ahead of time.)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 18, 2017, 01:30:11 am »

I'm also having trouble deciding whether I should tell the story from a role-playing perspective or from my own. They both have their advantages and problems: the former is more fun and brings more life to the game, but is harder; the latter is easier but it's more dull. There are also some story elements that work better with one or the other.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 18, 2017, 02:04:45 am »

I'm also having trouble deciding whether I should tell the story from a role-playing perspective or from my own. They both have their advantages and problems: the former is more fun and brings more life to the game, but is harder; the latter is easier but it's more dull. There are also some story elements that work better with one or the other.
Well, of course I vote for RP. It's easier if you come up with some kind of gimmick. Maybe you're narrating an episode of The Real Housedwarves of Air City. That already gives you a story hook to do "interview segments" with individual dwarves, and you could joke about how they're always offended that it isn't called "The Real Househumans"... then at the end of the turn, the humankin team up to kick the producers out of the city. You could even characterise any migrants as crew members or extras that went native. Anyway, that's just the first thing that came to mind; I just find it helps to have some kind of frame like that.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 18, 2017, 02:18:00 am »

Depends on the type of player. If you're going to take weeks to RP your turn, then gameplay-centric updates may be more up your alley. Ineth Zafal isn't exactly known to be a shining bastion of storytelling.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 26