Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 26

Author Topic: Ineth Zafal, a Humankin fortress  (Read 34247 times)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: Ineth Zafal, a Humankin fortress
« Reply #270 on: October 11, 2017, 11:11:52 am »

Here's the DFMA map if you want to take a look at the terrain. D3 is the hub tile, very strategic, although C4 might work better for a castle.

Edit - Also I hate the goddamn crashes so much.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 11:28:19 am by Bearskie »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 11, 2017, 11:14:26 am »

Here's the DFMA map if you want to take a look at the terrain. D3 is the hub tile, very strategic, although C4 might work better for a castle.
Thank you.
Edit: I have decided to use D3, since it appears to be flat, has water to make a moat, and, like you said, is close to all the important locations.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 11:22:36 am by Imic »
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 11, 2017, 11:27:17 am »

Pretty castle.  D3 sells stones for tree fiddy each.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 11, 2017, 11:28:10 am »

And now I wait for my turn.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 11, 2017, 12:41:27 pm »

I'm out of town, so I'll update the turn order when I get home.

Feel free to remind me if it's not done by the weekend.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 11, 2017, 12:44:02 pm »

I'm out of town, so I'll update the turn order when I get home.

Feel free to remind me if it's not done by the weekend.
This is Imic from the future.
I can't hear from all the screaming and fire, but I think he wants you to update the turn order.
... No wait...
... I think the world's ending...
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 11, 2017, 02:08:12 pm »

I think the future Imic is saying that the overseers keep constantly sticking to their own tile only. Bearskie is something of an exception, but Bearskie also went "fuck the rules" and erased what Maximum Spin had done. (No hard feelings from Spin, thankfully...Maybe some laughter.) (Also, the siegers would have killed everyone in Idiot City and three dozen pastures anyway.)

Anyway, because of that I suggest designing bait-and-horrible-death. Though I'm not sure how great D3 is for that; being surrounded by other bait forts first, and....

Oh yea, btw, this may happen: Imic cancels construct castle: Interrupted by goblin siege

JStheguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 11, 2017, 02:20:08 pm »

Of course, this is all assuming the brigade of brigands don't finish the bang-up job they've started of wiping out all dwarves humans in a five mile radius.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 11, 2017, 03:09:57 pm »

It would have been glorious to have the dry moat as a pen for invaders, and releasing the were captives on full moon.  Just think of a moat-ful of weres.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 11, 2017, 07:48:06 pm »

It's simultaneously an awesome and terrible idea.

Awesome, because moatful o' weres. Nothing says "psychological warfare" like having your friends turn against you and tear you to pieces, much like with bolts coated in husking dust. 

Terrible, because of the task interruptions (or skydiving) or the massive effort-for-reward ratio to make it deep enough for dwarves to not see it, the fps loss and the relative inability to get gear from it....Or hm, maybe not. After the reminder of siege has been converted into beasts, they become relatively harmless and drop their armour/weapons after a full moon. Though would have to trap some as seed werebeasts for next siege before killing rest and retrieving gear.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 12, 2017, 01:38:18 am »

Siege

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well, if there’s any good to come out of this, it’s that the military’s pathetic stand has probably bought enough time for everyone to cozy up nice and safe in Sanctume’s ti-
Wait why are the gates down.
Didn’t I ordered them raised already!?!
SHOOT, JUST PULL ALL THE FRAKKIN’ LEVERS.
Whew. Okay, that was close. Couldn’t see the real lever in the tavern on account of there being like a dozen poets sitting on it. But really? I still see loiterers mucking about outside. Part of me doesn’t care much whether they live or not – they had ample time to get into Fort Sanctume – the fact that they didn’t clearly shows some sort of mental AI deficiency that does not belong in Ineth Zafal.
Nonetheless, no fear, for there is plan B! The Grand Trunk is sufficiently built and is installed with a very handy lever to seal the trunk at moment’s notice.
Welcome welcome, we're all vegans here. I order the loiterers to gather there and start moving supplies to the upper branches. It’s going to be a while till the goblins reach this far northwest…
What are you guys doing?! Our remaining military, MAINLY the Second Foreign Legion, who were stationed down in the caverns, have taken to suiciding against goblin forces near Fort Sanctume’s gates! I told you guys to stay underground!
YOU’RE NOT EVEN FUCKING ARMED. THIS ISN’T FUCKING SPARTA YOU IDIOTS.
EVEN THE GOBLINS ARE LAUGHING AT US.

… Okay I discovered what the problem is. This. Is. The fucking problem.
Lets say a member of our military dies. Instead of going “Uh oh, this is going bad, maybe I should retreat!”, the remainder of the military goes “Bro, did you hear the commander just died? I’m gonna to loot that sweet +steel mailshirt+ off his fresh corpse!” and proceeds to discard their own frickin’ equipment and walk straight into a hundred or so goblins. The fucking idiot then dies, and the cycle of nuclear idiocy repeats once again until our whole military is dead. And no, that is not an exaggeration.
See kids? I told you looting was bad.
By now, JS's tile is toast. They've completely destroyed the graveyard, and have moved on to the village.
You know what this means? More ghooooossssts!

A week or two later, goblin forces approach the Grand Trunk. Can’t dawdle any more – I order the gates closed, and the elfkin sealed inside.
I said, seal the ga-
Holy shit.
No fucking shit.
You have got to be kidding me.
EVERYONE
DOWN INTO THE CAVERNS NOW

Derrrrrp. Forgot to link the bridge.

I'll be skipping the story updates from now on; as much as I enjoy them, it's become painfully obvious that I might not finish this fort in due time. Game's crashed quite a bit as well, which puts a damper on my progress.

Bearskie is something of an exception, but Bearskie also went "fuck the rules" and erased what Maximum Spin had done. (No hard feelings from Spin, thankfully...Maybe some laughter.) (Also, the siegers would have killed everyone in Idiot City and three dozen pastures anyway.)

Sorry, I think I wasn't clear - I did not chop down Idiot City, it's still there. I just reassigned the Idiots from the burrow (needed that humankin labor). To appease Maximum Spin, I have now burrowed in all the children and turned it into a kiddy treehouse instead.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 02:50:32 am by Bearskie »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 12, 2017, 01:57:09 am »

Sorry, I think I wasn't clear - I did not chop down Idiot City, it's still there. I just reassigned the Idiots from the burrow (needed that humankin labor).
For the record, I understood that, myself.
To appease Maximum Spin, I have now burrowed in all the children and turned it into a kiddy treehouse instead.
Have the down stairs deconstructed, too, so they'll be safe. :P I'm authorising you to order this since it's my tile.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 12, 2017, 01:57:32 am »

Above post, in which simple gate and lever systems give substantial difficulties.

Amusing nonetheless.

And to think, the dwarves humans elves are driven underground by goblins.

lol'd at settings. They're fine settings, provided enemies are defeated in single, quick engagement, such as 'enemy' caveins.

And yeah, I guess I misunderstood.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 13, 2017, 03:22:42 am »

Siege

Dudududududududu duduududududud duuuuu duuu duuu duuuuu....
Dududududuuuu- okay okay, I'm ending my horrible rendition of Flight of the Bumblebee right now.
So, who do we have? About 20 citizens, mostly farmers, four resident bards (useless as expected), and one ghost. We have two pickaxes, which are of no use because we can’t tunnel underground, Our bards brought along instruments. I doubt clay flutes are of much use against beak dogs.
I wonder where the other squads are – after this long, only two soldiers have shown up. Maybe they’re all dead. I decide to track them down individually.
Oh dear, Rud. She’s made quite a stand, slaying three beak dogs chasing her, but damn it, there’s too many of them and she’s lost the ability to walk. Goblins swarm from over the hills, as she readies her spear for a last stand.
Mater and Rer are resting in D2, they're one of the few who got injured but managed to get carted off to safety.
Ari.. Ari… wait that name sounds familiar..
Oh not fucking you.
YOU GOT STUCK IN A TREE?! AGAIN!?
How are you not dead yet, I have no idea. Speaking of which, how are the scholars still alive either?
*Gasp*
Goblin traitors.
GOBLIN TRAITOOORSSS IN OUR MIDST.
WE LET THIS GREEN-SKINNED SCUM INTO THE FORT!?
And… the entirety of the Foreign Legion is dead. I told them to stay in the caverns, but they had to go above ground for a drink of wine didn’t they…
Well Threbe, I guess that makes you the only soldier left to defend the fort! Good luck Threbe! You know what, I think you need a better title.
Meanwhile down in the caverns I get them to start picking some edibles. There’s an accomplished fisherman by the lake fishing, but it does well to gather some emergency rations since I don’t know how long it’ll take for us to get the fish cleaning workshop up and running. We’ve got the only one axe, so I have him hurry back to chop some mushroom trees.
Oh, and there’s a baby crawling around the caverns somewhere.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 03:29:08 am by Bearskie »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 13, 2017, 04:32:45 am »

Facepalm.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 26