Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Handpumps, barrels of magma, magmawells and Blood of the Mountains  (Read 3775 times)

Jargon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Handpumps and barrels of magma?
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 01:58:13 pm »

I'm not fluent in the ways of RAWs, but I've been poking around and Googling since you brought it to my attention.

If I'm reading this right, the Excavate Stones takes 5 non-economic stones and has a 3% chance of producing Treasure? And that has a 5% chance of producing Treasure 13? Does that mean we're looking at 0.15% Per 5 stones? Sooooo over 3300 stones required for ~100% chance to get a Blood of Armok? That's a lot of stone...

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Handpumps, barrels of magma, magmawells and Blood of the Mountains
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 05:16:06 pm »

well doing the math 5/100 *3/100 = 15/10000 so yeah 0.15  If your manually/non cheating looking for one... and you only need 1 success in about 3300, but its 5 stones each attemot so thats 16500...  a 3x3 embark is 148x148 - 2 rows and 2 columns for the edge you can't mine.  146x146 = 21316 pr floor, more than enough to just about guarantee a blood of armoks and a tears of armoks.  If I had programmed a code in it would be .04 which would out a drop around the same rate anyways.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Jargon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 05:31:47 pm »

I had already multiplied by 5 stones per attempt in my 3300 quantity so it's definitely doable.

Shame there's no notification or output from the archeology. I have no idea if I've found one or not, or even if treasure has been found upon excavating.

Khaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 07:09:26 pm »

The archaeologist works automatically, so so long as you have one it will process treasures and such as they are found. Unprocessed ones should always be visible in the stocks screen under uncut gems, while processed ones should never leave the archaeologist and should not last longer than a few seconds before popping back out as useful products. The blood/tears will also be on the stocks screen as uncut gems.

And yes it's a lot of work for the archaeologist to do but I'm pretty sure this is the intended desperation technique for if you can't get any via trade or finding any by mining. I'd really like to see them implemented as random drops like warpstone is right now though, especially since right now warpstone is useless for literally everyone and might as well not exist, seeing as all it does is mess up orcish and human mining operations and force dwarves to guild up.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 07:19:41 pm by Khaos »

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2017, 12:30:12 am »

The archaeologist works automatically, so so long as you have one it will process treasures and such as they are found. Unprocessed ones should always be visible in the stocks screen under uncut gems, while processed ones should never leave the archaeologist and should not last longer than a few seconds before popping back out as useful products. The blood/tears will also be on the stocks screen as uncut gems.

And yes it's a lot of work for the archaeologist to do but I'm pretty sure this is the intended desperation technique for if you can't get any via trade or finding any by mining. I'd really like to see them implemented as random drops like warpstone is right now though, especially since right now warpstone is useless for literally everyone and might as well not exist, seeing as all it does is mess up orcish and human mining operations and force dwarves to guild up.

You mention trying to get it from a trader as I've noticed they do not ever have uncut versions of the stone; only cut ones. Which is important as the well won't take a cut one it needs to be raw. So if it's not there you'd need the archaeologist to hopefully get it from doing their work at that point. Unless the well isn't supposed to do that and it's a bug if not then you cannot use a trader to give you the stone to then make a well. I however do not know if that is indeed how the wells are 100% to work I can see why it would work like that but yeah. Never seen raw cuts from a trader and I've tried several forts going for several years and only seeing cut stones.
Pages: 1 [2]