Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Handpumps, barrels of magma, magmawells and Blood of the Mountains  (Read 3733 times)

Jargon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm a bit of a newcomer to MDF so still getting used to all of the extras. Really enjoying it so far but I'm really scratching my head in regards to the handpump.

Latest fortress has magma over 120 levels below it and I'm really not looking forward to making a pumpstack that big so I was looking in the toolkit of what MDF can offer and I saw that I can create barrels of magma with the handpump. I've managed to do this but cannot for the life of me work out how to empty the contents of the barrel into a hole. I've search around for the answer but have only found a post alluding to the possibility of doing so but not actually how to do it.

Is it possible? If so, how is it done? Getting rather difficult running my smelters on a map with no trees. Desperately need to get the magma smelter/forges up and running :)

Cheers!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 02:23:14 pm by Jargon »

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Handpumps and barrels of magma?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 06:12:36 pm »

Really I've not had much to do with barrels of magma, and as far as I can tell the only shop that lets you empty them is the kitchen, and I'm not sure what that would do.  No one has seemed to reach a point of actually writing anything for what to do with them...

determined by which race you are, you have different options.  Dwarves and succubus can build magma wells, these can provide a continuous stream of magma after one use.  The orcs have fluidcasters that will drop magma beneath their shops.  Humans and Kobolds aren't really suppose to be accessing magma.  So there's some options or shipping it to the surface with minecarts. or pumpstacks.  I've done pumpstacks in an open air pit for humans.... the only way to do it without killing your humans with cave sickness, in the process.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Jargon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 12:11:08 pm »

Ah fair enough.

So, how do magma wells work? Looks like I need blood of the mountains? I assume this is something I find if I keep digging? :)

Thanks for the info, will investigate further.

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 12:15:20 pm »

Ah fair enough.

So, how do magma wells work? Looks like I need blood of the mountains? I assume this is something I find if I keep digging? :)

Thanks for the info, will investigate further.

Blood of the Mountains you dig for yes, it's a gemstone you cannot use cut versions of the stone for the magma well so the ones traders will occassionally have won't work for making one. As to how they work there is a post about it though it confused me a bit. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=163897.0

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 04:00:48 pm »

Here's a gif showing operation of magma well in action!
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Jargon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 04:23:37 pm »

That is a brilliant gif, thanks!

So what's the best method of locating one of these gems? Is there a certain depth or layer they appear at or is it a case of strip mining everything? :S

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 07:43:13 pm »

Code: [Select]
[INORGANIC:BLOOD_OF_ARMOK]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
[TILE:172][REACTION_CLASS:GEM]
[IS_GEM:blood of the mountain:STP:OVERWRITE_SOLID]
 [STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:blood of the mountain]
       [STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:blood of the mountain]
       [STATE_NAME:LIQUID:blood of the mountain]
       [STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:blood of the mountain]
       [STATE_NAME:GAS:blood of the mountain gas]
       [STATE_ADJ:GAS:blood of the mountain gas]
       [PREFIX:NONE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:25][DISPLAY_COLOR:4:0:1]
[ENVIRONMENT:ALL_STONE:CLUSTER_ONE:15]
[MELTING_POINT:12718]
[BOILING_POINT:14968]
[SPECIAL]

so it can be in any layer, so good luck on that one... generally I find 5 to 10 on any embark.  if you go th dfhack you can type "prospect all" and look through the gem list, near the bottom for BLOOD_OF_ARMOK   if there is none.... you might as well get ready to pump stack or minecart.  be aware prospect will list everything in the embark in seperate catagories.  it should tell you what Zs to look on for one.  Well a range of Zs which means it would be advised to begin at one end or the other.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 11:30:10 pm »

omg that gif actually makes a lot more sense then the diagram in the post you made in the post asking about them earlier. So for the spawn points after you place it do you set them yourself was hoping to build a fairly large pit under mine once I find the gem (if I can find any) didn't want it going Armok knows where. xD -EDIT- Oh geez the gif went a little too fast to read part of it which answers my question. Seems I'll have to do pump stacks...at least I know I have adamantine where I am, though never having done a pump stack I'm scared I'll mess the thing up. Though I did notice it mentioned none of the warpstone that was present...DF Hack isn't broken or something it is?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 12:03:57 am by Alkmayix »

Jargon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 02:49:25 am »

I assume it should show up under gems... but it doesn't. There are none, nor are there are tears.

This is somewhat problematic. Guess I better start planning the construction for the largest pumpstack I've ever created :( This is going to kill my FPS :O

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 03:01:56 am »

I assume it should show up under gems... but it doesn't. There are none, nor are there are tears.

This is somewhat problematic. Guess I better start planning the construction for the largest pumpstack I've ever created :( This is going to kill my FPS :O

I didn't see any in mine either though after noting a few other things not showing I'm suspicious if it actually will show them as they're added via a mod and a few things haven't shown up in DF Hack that were in my fortress, mostly just the warpstones but stuff still isn't showing regardless.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 03:21:14 am »

nah they currently should show up in a "prospect all"... I thought about adding them to the random generated "hidden gems" as warpstone is, just haven't decided yet.  the warpstone gems that appear randomly, are hacked in through a DFHack script; based off the Earth Strikes Back mod that randomly generates living rocks to attack your miners. 
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 05:10:25 am »

nah they currently should show up in a "prospect all"... I thought about adding them to the random generated "hidden gems" as warpstone is, just haven't decided yet.  the warpstone gems that appear randomly, are hacked in through a DFHack script; based off the Earth Strikes Back mod that randomly generates living rocks to attack your miners.

If that were true then warpstone would show up none does show up at all in DF Hack's info.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 11:58:17 am by Alkmayix »

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 08:07:15 pm »

If that were true then warpstone would show up none does show up at all in DF Hack's info.

I'm not sure what you mean... but both what is listed as stable_warpstone (which is the weak warpstone... go figure iceland|greenland style obfuscation) and I think even warpstone gems actually can appear procedurally.... but they also appear randomly as you dig through layers stone and the weak warpstone layers...

If I DFHacked them in.... they would appear randomly as you dug around in the layers...that's what I meant.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 02:27:52 pm »

You can have forts with no blood or tears available.  If you use dfhack's reveal and then start going down, you will big solitary red or blue gems.  If you don't see those, you are out of luck.
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

Khaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 04:20:25 pm »

Look within for details
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
For those of you who don't read RAWS, the archeologist can make "treasures" from rocks that are listed as non-economic. He can then process the treasure, possibly producing Treasure 13. The final processing step for Treasure 13 results in receiving a Blood of Armok gem.
There's also one for a tear of armok, of course (Treasure 14).
You would need horrendously bad luck to not get one if you just dug out an entire layer and sent all of the stone to an archeologist
Pages: [1] 2