Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crundle party  (Read 1852 times)

DauntlessGolem

• Bay Watcher
  • New player, lets go.
    • View Profile
Crundle party
« on: June 14, 2017, 07:42:43 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't have much else to say tbh.

Floating crundles man.

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crundle party
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 01:51:05 am »

I have similar thing in my current fort, bunch of crundles stuck on the same tile right before an underground lake on the way out of the map. Yours are probably climbing. I imagine them holding on to each other in a chain while the top one is holding onto a cliff/tree brunch.

DauntlessGolem

• Bay Watcher
  • New player, lets go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 01:55:23 am »

I have similar thing in my current fort, bunch of crundles stuck on the same tile right before an underground lake on the way out of the map. Yours are probably climbing. I imagine them holding on to each other in a chain while the top one is holding onto a cliff/tree brunch.

It ain't just the crundles the blind cave ogres are doing it to, stacked on one tile, suspended next to a tree, I got a bunch of acrobatic showoffs

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 01:57:36 am »

Cavern critters sometimes like to hang from a wall for years on end. In one of my forts there was a troop of troglodytes stuck high up on a cavern wall for nearly a decade, until a passing duster FB shook them loose. Upon impact all females in the group immediately gave birth to multiple troglings.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 04:33:43 am »

As indicated, they're probably climbing on a wall/tree beside them. There is also the problem with campers, i.e. critters that just sit still in one position without circulating out of the cavern/surface.Why critters become campers is partially unknown, but a few reasons are:
- Falling into water (e.g. due to dropping while climbing), swimming to a cavern tree in the lake, climb it, and then fail to path from there (essentially the same issue as with dorfs in trees from then on).
- Getting stuck in pools. For some reason the pathing can cause critters to descend into pools on their way to a destination and be adamant about the bottom of the pool being the best path towards whatever target they have. The water cavern sphere critters are particularly susceptible to this, as they often enter the cavern at the bottom of a lake. Can also affect Titans, visitors, and invaders.
- Captivity paralysis: One member of a critter group gets caught in a cage trap, and the rest of the group just freezes. If you get near the creatures they can move away to freeze elsewhere instead. Fliers can be removed with ballista arrows if the ballista is built out of their sight radius.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 03:06:18 am »

IIRC crundles are legendary climbers, so they're climbing the cavern walls.

And yes, creatures now like to climb on trees for no reason at all. And stay there. Especially when that tree is in the middle of cavern water.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 08:01:58 am »

The reason cavern creatures climb trees in water is fairly clear: They fall into the water, and thus try to rescue themselves by climbing. Once the climbing's done, the normal path finding excludes climbing and swimming as a means to get to any destination, and thus they get stuck (Natural climbers presumably won't have any problem with the climbing part, but swimming is still an issue).

CrundleHorn

• Bay Watcher
  • CrundleHorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 10:33:41 am »

Crundles are the best creatures in Dwarf Fortress. Just the thought of them makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.  :)
CrundleHorn

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 11:57:14 am »

Crundles are the best creatures in Dwarf Fortress. Just the thought of them makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.  :)

They make me think of millions of the buggers clogging my cage trap. Continous Crundle butchery. Endless Crundle meat roasts, Crundlebone scepters and Crundle bolts. So many Goddamn crundle skull totems
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 04:33:14 pm »

Obviously there is a cavern-creatures only gymnastics competition happening.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 07:03:47 am »

They make me think of millions of the buggers clogging my cage trap.

Three words: Civilian. Combat. Training.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?