Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Disabling Warpstone: Not possible anymore?  (Read 1363 times)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Disabling Warpstone: Not possible anymore?
« on: June 14, 2017, 09:02:15 pm »

Looking around the near current 1.27 version for the toggle to disable warpstone, or at least it's syndromes, but can't seem to find it. Is it not possible to disable it without directly editing the raws?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disabling Warpstone: Not possible anymore?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 09:33:48 pm »

warpstone switch had been removed a long time ago by Meph.

Its not been in the mod pack in the last year.

I could add that to a list to do for the next version, 1.29.

If its something people want.  Disabling it wouldn't be to hard.  just turn off the environment tokens for the warpstone veins, they will stop generating. 
Also turn off the random warpstone gem generator.  Its a line in the onMapLoad.init that reads:
warpstone -layer .004 -stable 1.  set the numbers to 0 and 0,  That would disable all the warpstone in the game from being created in game.

you should be able to do all of that even after world generation but before loading the world to start a fort, in the raw folder for that save.  Can't guarantee that.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 09:49:26 pm »

Not so much the existence of Warpstone itself, but the pretty much unavoidable and rather untreatable syndromes it brings are rather annoying. It takes far too long to get a guidhall running and thus avoiding getting screwed over by it, at least in my experience. Furthermore it seems to appears in far too shallow z-levels, plus it doesn't feel it adds anything to the game either, just some "pick between getting screwed early on either by losing miners or by getting your fort plans screwed over".

Others might feel differently of course, but that's how I feel at least.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 12:03:12 am »

Sounds like your warpstone is doing a lot of havok to your fort, sitting here reading that I was worried when I first found it myself figured it would poof the dwarf to Armok knows where but it's never done anything in my games it just behaved like a normal gemstone...not sure if it's just luck or what. If I recall succibi actually do have a use for the stuff but beyond that it has none to the other races ast it's a gem pretty much.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 10:39:13 am »

succubus use to have a use, that was deprecated in the recent past... the skavans really used it.  warpstone gems are just random finds, valuable appearing gems that may get used in a craft to provide devastating effects.  It produces noxious gas upon impacts... so encrusted warpstone arrows can incapacitate a small army.  the stone layer known as weak warpstone bursts with thee noxious gas when struck but produces the warpstone gems way more often.  If your miner isn't "trained" to know about noxious gases, warpstone and anthracite can cause severe illness even death.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 11:22:50 am »

succubus use to have a use, that was deprecated in the recent past... the skavans really used it.  warpstone gems are just random finds, valuable appearing gems that may get used in a craft to provide devastating effects.  It produces noxious gas upon impacts... so encrusted warpstone arrows can incapacitate a small army.  the stone layer known as weak warpstone bursts with thee noxious gas when struck but produces the warpstone gems way more often.  If your miner isn't "trained" to know about noxious gases, warpstone and anthracite can cause severe illness even death.

Ah no wonder my miners were fine they were already really good miners when they actually started to find the stuff. I will agree with it showing up  a bit earlier then it should knowing what all it can do if used properly.I found some strip mining after going down only 4 levels from where they start you, even found some on 3rd level down but wasn't doing mass mining there since it was being used for farming.