Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Playing as an Outsider  (Read 3539 times)

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
  • The only person who cares about Tales from Entar
    • View Profile
Playing as an Outsider
« on: June 15, 2017, 09:11:33 am »

Besides not being able to assign skill points to swordsmanship and spawning naked in the wilderness, are there any other downsides to playing as an Outsider?

I had a plan to start conquering sites and become a warlord in one save but I can't seem to claim sites flr myself. Is that just an Outsider thing?

OmegaShadowcry

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeper of Many Memes
    • View Profile
Re: Playing as an Outsider
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 02:04:51 pm »

You may need to be travelling with someone before you can claim lordship, from what I've seen.
He finally died when there was nothing else to take and my axeman bled him out trying to steal his guts.
I walked off of the outer wall a few minutes later as the new King. I'm still baffled.

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 03:17:24 pm »

Ah, sweet. I'll give it a try next time I manage to generate a world that isn't practically dead  :P

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 12:37:35 am »

This may bear testing now, but previously you only needed to be a site member in order to know how to claim a site, otherwise you'd get the option but 'forget what you were going to say'. Even a nomadic group membership qualifies. This version you can create and name your own site, zone a main hall and make your claim there. An outsider might be able to do that without prior membership.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 03:48:34 pm »

If this is still an issue, I wonder if making a performance troupe would give you membership.

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 03:58:20 pm »

So far I haven't even been able to get any companions. While this may have been due to trying to befriend a sparrow man and alligator man that I ran into, seems like nobody wants to know me. :(

Nep Nep

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of Za Warudo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 04:49:42 pm »

So far I haven't even been able to get any companions. While this may have been due to trying to befriend a sparrow man and alligator man that I ran into, seems like nobody wants to know me. :(
You gotta do stuff to get recognized, as the more heroic deeds you do the more the person wants to join you.
Waluigi rushes to aid him, but not before warning Bowser, "Don't expect mouth-to-mouth!"

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 08:14:22 pm »

You gotta do stuff to get recognized, as the more heroic deeds you do the more the person wants to join you.

The easiest way to get recognized is to clear kobold bandit camps. Yes its mean, but it works. The biggest problem with this is that not every world has a kobold camp, or even a kobold civilization.

Other than that, you can just find a dwarven drunk. They hang out in various hillock buildings, especially drinking mounds. They always seem to be willing to join you without exception.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 02:58:05 pm »

I actually had a drunk spit on my when I asked them to join me.  I was very surprised!  But that is my usual place to find them.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 04:08:01 pm »

I actually had a drunk spit on my when I asked them to join me.  I was very surprised!  But that is my usual place to find them.

Really? Interesting. I have had similar things happen when I have asked soldiers to join me, but with less spitting. Wonder why. Are there certain personality traits that they don't like?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 08:38:28 pm »

Are there certain personality traits that they don't like?
If you treat social awareness as a dump stat, the answer would be 'all of them'.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 11:03:37 pm »

If you treat social awareness as a dump stat, the answer would be 'all of them'.

Fair point.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 08:15:56 am »

In my case, I think it was due to some weird social dynamics in the game.  One of the dark pits had so many abducted and scholarly dwarfs that virtually every person that lived there was related to someone in the dwarf civilisation.  The dark pit attacked a fortress and my adventurer defended it, killing many, many dwarven attackers.  After that the dwarfs hated me... Which was fairly fitting seeing as I was an elf.

Still playing in that world -- There are armies from the dark pits and armies from the dwarf fortress on the march.  When I killed the armies from the dark pit with a different adventurer, the dwarfs in the army from the dwarf fortress called be a murderer.  It's bizarre.