Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Fortnite  (Read 21549 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Fortnite
« on: June 15, 2017, 05:27:36 pm »

I just preordered.  Total impulse buy, but so help me it hits all the sweet spots (Terraria, Dungeon Defenders, DF, Orcs Must Die!).  Anyone else getting in on this?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Fortnite
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 06:40:44 pm »

Don't tell us anything about it, or give us a link or anything, to go with your facebook status.
Shoes...

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 06:44:35 pm »

Played in the closed alpha, seems like a pretty solid game. I think I'll wait for when it comes out F2P in 2018 to jump back in though.

Don't tell us anything about it, or give us a link or anything, to go with your facebook status.

The website : https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/home

Some E3 footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aes7jV8Jfek
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 06:52:50 pm by Wiles »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 07:07:35 pm »

I saw it and i told myself, right im hooked, ill bite and pre-order, click preorder.... my country isnt on the list ( canada ).... come on im ordering the digital version you stupid ding dong.... Its not like i lived in a 300 citizen country hidden on an island with no internet....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 07:09:23 pm »

Based on the video, it looks like a team-based over-the-shoulder tower defense shooter split into two phases; one where you're searching the map for resources and building up your defenses, and a defense phase, with a Borderlands-esque loot system.

...Hopefully that made sense at least to one person.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 07:43:54 pm »

Based on the video, it looks like a team-based over-the-shoulder tower defense shooter split into two phases; one where you're searching the map for resources and building up your defenses, and a defense phase, with a Borderlands-esque loot system.

...Hopefully that made sense at least to one person.
Couldn't have said it better myself, lol.  The game has a loot system like Borderlands, with a defense phase like Orcs Must Die!, but with added Fort-building and not just traps (though there are a bunch of traps).

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 07:55:27 pm »

I saw it and i told myself, right im hooked, ill bite and pre-order, click preorder.... my country isnt on the list ( canada ).... come on im ordering the digital version you stupid ding dong.... Its not like i lived in a 300 citizen country hidden on an island with no internet....

I think the drop down menu lists regions, not countries, so Canada would fall under the Americas region.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 08:41:20 pm »

That's one of the best trailers I've ever seen. Perfect mix of cut-scenes and actual gameplay.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 09:06:04 pm »

That's one of the best trailers I've ever seen. Perfect mix of cut-scenes and actual gameplay.

One thing more I'd like to see in there is a shot of the active gameplay UI: That often reveals a wealth of info. (Most notable if you like frequenting mass-produced Asian MMOs...)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 09:12:39 pm »

One thing more I'd like to see in there is a shot of the active gameplay UI: That often reveals a wealth of info. (Most notable if you like frequenting mass-produced Asian MMOs...)
Check this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmSsG_9QO8Q  The whole interview/demo is worth watching, I feel (but I'm rather on the hype train right now).  22:56 gives you a glimpse of the various crafting menus.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 09:25:40 pm »

Huh. All right, looks like this will be worth keeping an eye on.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 07:54:34 am »

Just a warning. The game seems like it's going to possibly employ some bad business practices such as micro-transactions, etc from what some testers were saying.

I'd hold off on buying it and wait to see how they actually are.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 10:36:29 am »

I don't think you're actually "buying" the game though, you're paying to get access to early access. It is from what I understand a free to play game (with all the micro transaction trappings that go with that).

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2017, 04:40:22 pm »

Looks interesting. Microtransactions aren't intrinsically bad, it can be an okay way to monetize the game as long as it's done right. I guess we'll see. If gameplay-related things are obtainable ingame without spending cash then it's alright.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 04:44:21 pm by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2017, 06:01:23 pm »

What I'm reading from the testers is that random loot-pinatas as well as scripted rewards are common results from quests and missions in game, and should allow players to remain competitive without paying.

Regarding paying for early access, the game is rumored to be going free-to-play sometime in 2018. So, if you want to play this year, the only option is paying a one-time upfront price.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9