Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Fortnite  (Read 21555 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Fortnite
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2017, 02:34:30 pm »

Not to get in the way of this epic argument, but let's just be honest here and say the micro transactions do, in fact, suck dick.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2017, 02:41:42 pm »

Not to get in the way of this epic argument, but let's just be honest here and say the micro transactions do, in fact, suck dick.
Well yeah, but thats not the point.  :o

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2017, 02:44:15 pm »

Oh, no, not that easy. You've gotten yourself into it.

Microtransactions might suck a fat one, but was the previous MMO situation any better, where we had AAA titles that charged monthly fees to play or you couldn't play it at all past two weeks, or F2P shindigs which everyone gave a go and realized they weren't that well developed? They've allowed a vibrant middle ground to develop.

One last thing. 95% of players not buying anything indicates that 95% of the player base is able to play relatively regularly without paying a thing. Most of these microtransaction games are for most people identical to F2P games. Also, on the competitive side, it's nice to be able to blame your loss on the opponent purchasing fancy gear with real money instead of actually having skill (which may be false or true)

So yeah. Microtransactions might suck dick, but at least it's a nice fellatio instead of a vacuum cleaner attached permanently.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2017, 03:31:09 pm »

Well if you want my 2 cents on the matter, if you want to SPECIFICALLY address microtransactions in MMOs then, yes, I greatly preferred paying a monthly rate to play. For starters, if we want to look at WoW or EVE, huge updates rolled out every couple of years or sooner and they were of considerable quality, all the classes were unlocked up front, and frankly, the community was much better when you had to pay monthly. Also, F2P and micro transactions are two closely married concepts, you really can't have on without the other. For example, once LOTRO went free to play, it fucking imploded. F2P and thus, highly extensive, intensive, and invasive microtransactions really do sound the death knell for MMOs. FFS, if you were F2P in LOTRO you had to pay per area of the map you wished to unlock. C'mon man.

And that's just the annoying, immersion/fun-ruining stuff. If you want to talk about money, microtransactions are the physical manifestation of the industry trend to charge more for less. How aggravating it is that games that are literally 20+ years old are not only more complete but contain more content and polish than games today? I mean, let's take a step back for second and think about how absurd the market has truly become for a consumer:

0.) You fucking pay the developer to just develop the game, you don't even pay for the game sometimes, you just pay for it to be made! WTF. (kickstarter/crowdfunding)

1.) You pay--often times at a premium! At a fucking premium!--to test a mostly content-free, bug-ridden, and largely unfinished game prototype. (early access)

2.) You pay for the game (at the very least these days most devs allow you to have the game now that they've milked you for money far in excess of the actual worth of the game), it's usually unfinished or lacking many of the planned features or vaguely misleading promises.

EDIT: 2.5) You pay for fucking "Season passes" for DLC that may not even exist. What a fucking laugh. AAA companies are fucking shitting on us.

3.) You pay for DLC, which oftentimes either A.) has no impact on gameplay whatsoever or adds next to nothing at ridiculous cost or B.) adds what should have been in the game from the very beginning.

And that's the simplified model. With microtransactions it is multiplied exponentially. The only steps which a right-minded consumer should ever participate in are steps 2 and 3, and then only if the game is actually finished on launch and that the DLC down the line actually adds new content to the game that wasn't promised to be in right at the start.

For an MMO, at it's worst you literally have to pay for every little thing individually, which just fucking sucks all the fun out of the game, and when you can buy things that actually effect gameplay? That's like encouraging bribery in a sporting match to win. Not to mention taking out the point of playing. But listen, tell me what's GOOD about microtransactions? Basically no matter how you cut it, you're paying more for the same, unless it's a F2P MMO in which case you're basically paying for a sub-par gaming experience.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 03:40:25 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2017, 08:50:44 pm »

Can we all just agree that video game producers who deliver an entertaining volume and quality of content relative to the amount of money spent, regardless of the method in which that money is spent, are providing a fair service in exchange for appropriate compensation, while game producers who charge money without delivering commensurate entertainment are swindlers who make the rest of the industry look bad?

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2017, 08:35:33 am »

Can we all just agree that video game producers who deliver an entertaining volume and quality of content relative to the amount of money spent, regardless of the method in which that money is spent, are providing a fair service in exchange for appropriate compensation, while game producers who charge money without delivering commensurate entertainment are swindlers who make the rest of the industry look bad?

Yes, and you can modify that argument slightly for all of the arts, both fine and practical.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2017, 08:30:10 am »

Bumping for great justice.

game looks fun enough, and my friends were bugging me, so i went and preordered it. i'm deciding on being the soldier cuz i like me my automatics.

it looks basically like a combo of killing floor, orcs must die and oddly enough, TF2 so im down for trying this game.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2017, 10:32:53 am »

Two more days to launch.
I've spent the last few weeks binging Orcs Must Die Unchained, trying to get bored with it before Fortnite launches. It's going to be a close one.
Albion Online launching today doesn't help. Completely different category of game, but both will demand a lot of my time.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2017, 06:01:45 am »

One more day. Who's going to be playing?
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2017, 09:37:10 am »

me!

i have a friend who usually hangs out at a friends house to play cards ducking out just to get started friday and another friend who took friday off. i have to work but ill let them get the fort started for us and mooch off their success. they both want to be builders so its cool. i dont feel left out at all.

:'( at least i get automatics as the soldier class
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2017, 04:37:10 pm »

It got my hopes up this morning.

But then.

I'll be in on it tomorrow for sure though.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2017, 11:45:40 pm »

I'm confused...why is there some 4 day head start thing when it will still be a buy to play for at least 5 months?

To clarify, their basic buy into the game comes with the 4 day head start.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Rumble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2017, 01:12:37 am »

I believe the head start is only for pre-orders.  Folks who waited till now to purchase it have to wait a bit longer.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 01:21:59 am by Rumble »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2017, 09:29:13 pm »

Well, I very much enjoyed the opening tutorial, and all the voice lines from the robot as I progressed in the story. The whole atmosphere reminds me very much of Borderlands.
Learning to search the cities and how to spot the valuable loot among piles of junk has been an entertaining experience, and it seems like every map I find something new and unexpected. I've only been playing for a day, but I'm already convinced that this game was worth the purchase based on the apparent volume of unique and interesting content alone.
Combat is fairly dynamic; weapons break quickly, and I'm always picking up new weapons with different mechanics, so I'm constantly having to find new ways to efficiently kill the waves on 'husks' that are trying to kill my machine for some reason. It hasn't become terribly difficult yet, but I can feel the difficulty level ramping up and I'm sure that clever fort-building mechanics will soon become essential.
There are a few elements of the GUI that still feel a bit under-developed...but nothing that would stop me from recommending the game at this point.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2017, 11:40:35 pm »

How good is it in single-player? Or does this really need to be multi-player?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9