Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Fortnite  (Read 21735 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortnite
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2018, 04:56:40 am »

That is the pimpest-looking shotgun I've ever seen. I feel like it needs its own feathered cap and cane.
Sorta annoyed it's called the "Helium Shotgun", when it's described as using neon.

By the way, is this game worth playing?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2018, 12:59:12 pm »

By the way, is this game worth playing?

If you enjoy Tower Defense and FPS, you will probably enjoy the PvE game. There are a variety of different traps with different mechanics to be exploited. And the defense position is randomly selected each map, so every time you have a new landscape to figure out how best to defend. There are also regular events with quests that reward loot pinatas and high quality heroes, so there's always something to do.

The PvP mode is entirely separate from PvE, and it's basically PUBG with more active development.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2018, 01:15:32 pm »

I will note that the PvE game is designed to be played with others. I've run into issues where the area I'm in dosen't have a high enough population for me to reliably get random people added to the missions I'm doing which makes it quite difficult. Now, that was a few months back, but it may still be an issue where the mid-range areas are lightly populated.

If you can get at least one friend to play it with you, though, it's a blast!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2018, 02:07:31 pm »

On that note, they recently improved the Defender AI and stats, so they are more viable as a stand-in for other players now.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2018, 04:44:18 pm »

Probably going to delete this game. Gave it a few hours. Most recent match, I land, get the drop one someone with a shotgun, and hit him a few times for about 27 damage according to the numbers. He jumps from cover, and I'm dead in two hits. This has been my experience for pretty much every single match.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2018, 05:08:29 pm »

Honestly, the only way to play BR is with a squad or another person. The salty bits are still there but having someone to talk shit with is a great boon. The only reason I've been playing this for this long (pretty much since the mode came out) has been because I've been playing with a couple of friends that I otherwise don't see that often and it's a good way to chat while blowing off some steam.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 22, 2018, 09:05:58 pm »

Problem with that is that I'm pretty antisocial. I also can't voice chat in my house, not without the people around trying to intrude in my business, and that's an even bigger problem than my antisocialness.

I will note that matchmaking does not take experience into account. I seem to keep ending up with people who either are very skilled or have some macro that lets them chain-build ramps on the move while that insta-snipe me sideways.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2018, 03:02:40 pm »

Update 4.0 is here!
New heroes with new abilities! New weapons! New story quests! Blockbuster mode returns with improvements!

For those who missed the previous event, it involved launching Lar's van up into the storm higher than he's ever gone before, where he was able to record some previously unheard signals from space. At the end of the event, Lars delivered the ominous message, 'We're going to have visitors...'. The new story events in this mission are quite exciting!

Also, a recent dev interview revealed that trap and weapon perk rerolls are currently scheduled for update 4.2, which should be sometime this month. I look forward to building the ideal traps and weapons!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2018, 02:41:11 pm »

Probably going to delete this game. Gave it a few hours. Most recent match, I land, get the drop one someone with a shotgun, and hit him a few times for about 27 damage according to the numbers. He jumps from cover, and I'm dead in two hits. This has been my experience for pretty much every single match.
The same things that make normal guns inaccurate effect the cone of a shotgun.  You want to do the shuffle step: stand still, scope in, shoot, then either step or jump to the side, then stand still, scope in, shoot.  Rinse and repeat for every shot.  You don't need to be aiming for the entire duration of the fire delay, just about a half second before every shot.

Note: the skill ceiling in this game isn't about the guns, its about building and guessing how other players think.  For a good fortnight player their materials count is basically a jetpack and armor rolled into one.  Especially in squads where rezzing is an option, long range fights aren't so much about your gun versus the other guys' gun as they are about your ammo versus the other guy's materials.  But then the meta is that some players (not necessarily the squad you're fighting) will try and get up to your fort without being seen and once that happens there's some truly nasty shit they can do to you.  And some people will try to abandon their fort without you noticing.  So it ultimately comes down to anticipating and surprising your opponents.  Usually aggression beats passive play IME.  But only on your own terms, if your opponent picks the fight being aggressive is a bad instinct.  Also in singles you're 1 out of 100 so make your peace with losing almost all games out of sheer statistics; set goals for yourself.  First securing a decently busy first location (like tomato town) is a win till you can do that reliably, then surviving to the last circle, then being last 10, then semi-reliably being last 5, then at that point set your sights on winning.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2018, 04:50:51 pm »

Though I haven't played in a few days, I had been getting semi-reliably into the top 10. Generally I start by trying to drop about halfway or past halfway along the bus route, and landing on/in some structure that isn't labeled on the map - for example away from places like Tomato Town. After getting some loot, I check where the storm is going, and try to stealth to the safe zone if necessary. Then I guess where the end-game safe zone will likely end up, and fortify there.

What I don't quite get is, how people have time to loot such high-end stuff. Last time I got a kill, they had blue-quality guns, bandages, and I'm pretty sure I scored a shield drink off them, all within the first minute or so of the match. Somehow they had all that in the time it took me to clear a single house.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2018, 02:19:42 pm »

They landed faster than you.  Probably killed some folks too.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2018, 01:21:30 pm »

Update 4.1 includes a Infinity War crossover event for Battle Royale.

Update 4.2 includes a Perk reroll system for Save the World.

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the Perk Recombobulator. There are fewer options than I'd like, and many of the existing options seem poorly balanced, and the resources needed are a major timesink. Still, it's a step in the right direction.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2018, 03:04:40 pm »

The Infinity War event is over now. The latest patch also brings a new epic/legendary burst assault rifle to battle royal.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 01, 2018, 06:32:40 am »

2 free loot pinatas, today only! Grab them while you can!

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2018, 07:23:30 am »

I have been playing the Battle Royale mode on the Switch and it seems like a pretty solid port. There is a fair amount of pop in, but the game has been running smoothly. I haven't played my switch this much since I finished Breath of the Wild. I definitely miss mouse aiming, but being able to play wherever I want (on the couch, in bed) is pretty nice.

Seems like there are no plans for adding the Save the World mode currently (reference) which is unfortunate.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9