Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Fortnite  (Read 21542 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Fortnite
« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2018, 09:47:51 am »

There's not really much impetus to. Save the World was a disaster, and Fortnite is basically being carried by Battle Royale.
Nothing important here, move along.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 28, 2018, 04:57:13 pm »

I was thinking of getting into this, but this thread is making me feel like I'd be selling out my inner video game hipster snob.

How pay to play is it? Do you get better equipment or is it purely cosmetic?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 05:11:53 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 28, 2018, 08:17:06 pm »

I was thinking of getting into this, but this thread is making me feel like I'd be selling out my inner video game hipster snob.
How pay to play is it? Do you get better equipment or is it purely cosmetic?

There is definitely some bias against BR mode, as it's currently ridiculously popular with 'trendy' gamers. StW mode has kind of the opposite vibe, being played mainly by niche gamers who got into Fortnite before it became popular.

BR payed items are purely cosmetic. StW allows you to buy loot pinatas using premium currency. It started out a bit heavily pay-to-progress, but they've gradually added alternative ways to earn loot, like repeatable quests and bosses and mission rewards. Right now it's in a pretty good spot imo where non-whales can keep up with the whales just through casual play. Also the current event season just released its final patch, so there're a lot of quests available with time-limited rewards right now.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2018, 03:34:02 am »

I've played StW on a regular basis since it came out, never spent additional money and am having a good time.
About a year ago I ran out of real main story mission, but the flow of events is so high that I'm fully entertained.

So yes, I could complain that only 2 of 4 areas have real content, but on the other hand, then level independent events makes much more sense.
I.e. The developer effort can be spent on some end-game content that only 2% of the player base have reached, or on sesonal events that everyone can enjoy.

One trick to advance without money is to use the 'collection book'. It may look like a waste to 'burn' permanent stuff there, but you will quickly have more than enough to craft and not enough points to upgrade everything anyway.

(And ignore the strange people doing 'trades' in the chat. It sounds like some wirdos spend a lot of effort trading temporary weapons instead of actually playing the game??)
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2018, 10:21:18 am »

So yes, I could complain that only 2 of 4 areas have real content...

One trick to advance without money is to use the 'collection book'. It may look like a waste to 'burn' permanent stuff there, but you will quickly have more than enough to craft and not enough points to upgrade everything anyway.

The Canny Valley update is finally coming, adding significant story progression and new terrain; expected shortly after the return of Block Party in 5.0.

The current patch, 4.5, added the option to remove items from the collection book, so it's easier to stash your extra stuff there and know you can get it back if you need it some day.
4.5 also made the 4-player missions have focused loot, making it much easier to farm the specific xp you need to upgrade the items you want!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2018, 03:31:55 pm »

StW 5.0 update comes tomorrow morning! This is the last chance to complete quests from the Blockbuster event before they go away!

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2018, 11:27:49 am »

I've been playing save the world for a couple of weeks now and I have been back and forth about how I feel about it. I think a lot of it has to do with the community. There are a lot of decent players in the game, but there are enough bad apples that every few matches I'm stuck with toxic players, or players who don't want to participate because they know that other players will complete the mission for them. I think part of the problem is the game design facilitates behavior that allows players to not participate and still get rewarded. Players get quests, then jump into a level and quit as soon as they're done their goal. It's rather frustrating to spend 15~ minutes in a level and then see most if not all of the team quit because they were only there for their own side objectives. I don't think the popularity of the Battle Royale mode has helped, since there seems to be a lot of players there for the premium currency they can use in BR mode.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2018, 11:40:30 am »

Honestly, the only way to play BR is with a squad or another person. The salty bits are still there but having someone to talk shit with is a great boon. The only reason I've been playing this for this long (pretty much since the mode came out) has been because I've been playing with a couple of friends that I otherwise don't see that often and it's a good way to chat while blowing off some steam.
The problem with chatting is that if you use the in-game chat then you can't talk while the game is loading you into or out of a match, and players who were killed and left for the lobby can't talk to players who are still in the match, whether they're playing or spectating. Discord solves this if you're on PC but one of our players was on PS4.

I was willing to keep playing this game until I started my PC up one morning and the fans started going nuts, then I realized the Epic Games launcher had launched itself in the background and was downloading large patches. I really don't like that.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 24, 2018, 11:47:53 am »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 27, 2018, 05:46:48 pm »

Fortnite Season 6 is here, with new quests and rewards and fluff.

One hidden feature in this update, breast physics!
https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1045301145592193024

As soon as Epic heard about this, the called it 'unintended and embarrassing', and stated that it will be removed promptly.

I for one am deeply disappointed that we have to be ashamed of something completely natural. #SaveTheJiggle

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 27, 2018, 09:09:36 pm »

Read: "What the fuck did you do Bob"
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 27, 2018, 11:23:04 pm »

"We just ACCIDENTALLY rigged these breasts and set up collisions for them!"

Really makes me think.  :-\
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 28, 2018, 12:27:40 am »

More: "A dev's 'side' project got into the main branch."

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2018, 08:34:09 am »

And here I thought it was the new fortnite DLC for mature audiences.  :P

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2018, 09:43:39 am »

Can't let the kids see jiggly boobs in a game about shooting people!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9