Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dance-off  (Read 1046 times)

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dance-off
« on: June 19, 2017, 12:47:30 am »

So as soon as I told my SO that my one of my dwarfs had crafted an artifact thong, she immediately demanded my dwarfs conduct dance-offs while wearing it.  This does not seem to be a feature in the game and should be rectified. 

We already have taverns where dwarfs and visitors can go to play and/or listen to music, why not have them dance too?  Assuming enough room on the dance floor, we might as well give some of the patrons the option to occasionally boggie-down while they play.  And yeah, why not have a dance off while they are at it?  Two dwarfs dancing in proximity who otherwise do not like each other might find themselves dancing in opposition, where they keep dancing until one or the other falls down or gets tired or whatnot (affected by their dancing skill) where the one who "wins" gets a satisfied thought while the one who "loses" gets an unsatisfying thought. 

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: Dance-off
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 12:55:09 am »

They do dance though, just not on command and usually in large groups shaped like various bits of geometry (squares, octagons, etc.).
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 03:46:13 am »

Hopefully the new xml additions for the next release will give us an easier way to view the dance descriptions. They're so detailed, I'm sure you'd find a 'dance-off' in there somewhere if you scoured the many dance forms of a bunch of large worlds.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 11:32:06 pm »

If Dancer is going to be a skill, then Kegstander (includes all forms of competitive drinking) should be too. Group them in with the social skills.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 12:15:14 am »

Alternatively, make it possible to generate competitions based on any skill.  The real world has done this.

Cheesemaking-off!  3, 2, 1, go!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 03:54:38 am »

Alternatively, make it possible to generate competitions based on any skill.  The real world has done this.

Cheesemaking-off!  3, 2, 1, go!
I can easily imagine this happening when Toady gets back to festivals and procedurally generated games. It's probably the vast possibilities that made him call it a day at worldgen whip throwing contests and races (that and the lack of economy for justifying time spent on gambling, I suppose).