Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Random Crashes occur when I press buttons sometimes  (Read 3048 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Random Crashes occur when I press buttons sometimes
« on: June 17, 2017, 10:57:50 am »

Something is wrong with my dwarf fortress, it keeps crashing randomly when I press buttons, I'll go through playing normally, even pressing the same button multiple times, and then I'll press it and it crashes, I have no idea WHY this occurs, as the only mods I have are that pokemon mod and DFhack (Well I also have a mod I made, but it doesn't DO anything on this save as I screwed up and didn't give permissions for any civ to build the building or use the reactions and that's all that's IN the mod) and the only errors I get in the log are the ones the pokemon mod page says are normal and to ignore, and occasionally one about double tagged items, that MIGHT be why, although I doubt it as it doesn't show up for all the crashes (infact most of the crashes give exactly nothing in the error log)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random Crashes occur when I press buttons sometimes
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 01:52:06 pm »

Are you using TwbT? If so, do the crashes still happen if you change display mode? If it does crash with TwbT but not without, enabling the generation of crash dumps may provide mifki with info that help track it down (mifki can make use of crash dumps, but Toady can not, so dumps for vanilla doesn't help).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 09:50:26 pm »

Download and play vanilla and see if it still crashes.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 11:01:32 pm »

DfHack will just sometimes crash randomly and the best way to overcome this is by turning autosave on.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 08:13:45 pm »

DfHack will just sometimes crash randomly and the best way to overcome this is by turning autosave on.
With or without TWBT?

For reference, I've been playing with DFHack and without TWBT, and have rarely gotten crashes, so this is surprising to hear.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 10:58:33 pm »

I think it might have been related to the infinite sky command as the save that it has been used on is the one that crashes (see I have two seperate dwarf fortress folders and exes one for my highly modded things and one with less mods and I brought a copy of two saves from the higher modded one to the lesser modded one (which is the one that crashes) and I not only don't have those many crashes as in the one with infinite sky, (tangent alert) I have LESS crashes on one of the two (that one being the first fortress I ever made) than I did when it was on the higher modded exe, odd since the raws for the exe shouldn't be affecting the raws for the saves correct?)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 01:07:45 am »

With or without TWBT?

For reference, I've been playing with DFHack and without TWBT, and have rarely gotten crashes, so this is surprising to hear.
Without TWBT, I only play ASCII
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 01:19:19 am »

With or without TWBT?

"Ascii" and TWBT aren't exclusive. You can play with any tileset you like but if TWBT is on it might crash.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 04:37:05 am »

With or without TWBT?

"Ascii" and TWBT aren't exclusive. You can play with any tileset you like but if TWBT is on it might crash.
I know, but I just don't use TWBT because it doesn't add much for tilesets.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 11:56:53 am »

I think it might have been related to the infinite sky command as the save that it has been used on is the one that crashes (see I have two seperate dwarf fortress folders and exes one for my highly modded things and one with less mods and I brought a copy of two saves from the higher modded one to the lesser modded one (which is the one that crashes) and I not only don't have those many crashes as in the one with infinite sky, (tangent alert) I have LESS crashes on one of the two (that one being the first fortress I ever made) than I did when it was on the higher modded exe, odd since the raws for the exe shouldn't be affecting the raws for the saves correct?)
Sorry for the late response. Yeah, infiniteSky could cause issues - there were issues with it not persisting reliably in 0.34, and those could've turned into crashes around 0.40. I'm not entirely sure what the deal is with your other crashes (possibly due to the lack of punctuation), but there are some things in vanilla DF that can crash (particularly weapon traps), so it's not necessarily raw-related or DFHack-related.

snow dwarf: What DFHack tools are you using? It might help if I could see your stderr.log file. If you're using a new-enough version of DFHack, there's also an "install-info" command you can run that dumps information about your installation to install-info.txt, which might also be useful.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2017, 04:40:17 am »

snow dwarf: What DFHack tools are you using? It might help if I could see your stderr.log file. If you're using a new-enough version of DFHack, there's also an "install-info" command you can run that dumps information about your installation to install-info.txt, which might also be useful.
Don't worry about it, I found a solution: finally update from beta version of dfhack :P