Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New to adventure mode  (Read 2128 times)

MaGicBush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New to adventure mode
« on: December 20, 2017, 05:38:40 pm »

So I have played df fortress mode on and off for years. This patch and the last one seems to have added quite a lot to adventure mode and I'd like to take a stab at it finally. I have a few questions going in though.

1.Is it better to Gen a world with a lot of history or little history to make my own?

2.Should I play a fortress first or something to add to my adventure? I've read you can revisit your past forts in the same world.

3.Is it possible to do an adventure, and maybe retire him and start a new fort in the same world, and then retire that and resume on that adventurer and find the fort? If not can I make as many new adventurers as I want on a world?

4.once I start a character what's the best way to go about starting? Do I find a settlement and try to find a quest or something? Or is it more just wandering around and killing to improve stats?

Thanks for any information.

*edit* oops just saw the little questions thread, but oh well I had a lot of questions anyway and may have more.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 05:47:31 pm by MaGicBush »

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: New to adventure mode
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 06:32:15 pm »

1. Depends on preferences. The younger a world is the more beasts there will be, the older a world is the more towns, bandits, and artifacts there will be. I go for somewhere between 200-400 years to get good amounts of beasts and good amounts of towns. Though I also set beasts and civilizations to pretty high levels.

2. You can if you want, but you don't have to. I typically find visiting fortresses as an adventurer kind of underwhelming, because most of my designs are rather simple and the game just assigns people to positions randomly so suddenly my legendary mason is the sheriff? But maybe if you specifically design it to be fun for an adventurer it could be nice.

3. Yes. Yes. Yes.

4. I'd definitely suggest doing quests over random wandering. You're not going to find anything interesting to kill just wandering around, and there won't be many good stat improvements from stabbing deer. If you ever find yourself needing stats, you can find yourself a bridge across a river in a town and get your swimming skill to at least competent, and then swim under the bridge. This will cause you to start drowning, which is dangerous but at standard movement speeds you should easily be able to survive 8 movements while drowning. Now why do you want to drown? Because it very, very quickly raises your endurance and toughness.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 06:38:40 pm »

Start by playing 43.05 until the next bug update comes out, there is a crippling reputation bug going on at the moment in 44.01 and 44.02. I would suggest if you want to get a quick start you should start as a locally important hero, and from the getgo if you find a blinking pink fellow or lady around you can talk to them and upon selecting the "give me orders" dialogue option you will be given a quest. Normally upon receiving this information you want to ask for more detailed information about how to get to the aforementioned place the quest target is at. If however the quest is more than a day's travel away you want to focus first on finding a nearby bandit camp or lair in which you can slay a well known beast or criminal. After doing so you can then "bring up incident" to report your good deeds and can use the increase in your reputation to start hiring companions. You want to accomplish this first because without a companion you will be attacked by bogeymen at night (hence why you shouldn't do a quest more than a day's travel away right off the bat). If you're ordered to drive criminals out of a town the most common places to find them are in sewers and dungeons below the city. Oh and don't hunt hydras. Unless you have a death wish or have a really large party of very experienced adventurers.

More history means larger city developments and a deeper, richer history to the world! That means lots of problems to solve! I find upward of 200 years to be pretty full of fun, though I prefer to gen all the way to 500 years myself.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 06:40:11 pm by gnome »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 08:50:56 pm »

I often gen a "Smaller" world with 1050 years of history.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 08:52:29 pm »

Start by playing 43.05 until the next bug update comes out, there is a crippling reputation bug going on at the moment in 44.01 and 44.02. I would suggest if you want to get a quick start you should start as a locally important hero, and from the getgo if you find a blinking pink fellow or lady around you can talk to them and upon selecting the "give me orders" dialogue option you will be given a quest. Normally upon receiving this information you want to ask for more detailed information about how to get to the aforementioned place the quest target is at. If however the quest is more than a day's travel away you want to focus first on finding a nearby bandit camp or lair in which you can slay a well known beast or criminal. After doing so you can then "bring up incident" to report your good deeds and can use the increase in your reputation to start hiring companions. You want to accomplish this first because without a companion you will be attacked by bogeymen at night (hence why you shouldn't do a quest more than a day's travel away right off the bat). If you're ordered to drive criminals out of a town the most common places to find them are in sewers and dungeons below the city. Oh and don't hunt hydras. Unless you have a death wish or have a really large party of very experienced adventurers.

More history means larger city developments and a deeper, richer history to the world! That means lots of problems to solve! I find upward of 200 years to be pretty full of fun, though I prefer to gen all the way to 500 years myself.

You can recruit companions right away. Select "High" Social Awareness to recruit lots of them.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 11:35:43 am »

listen to the gnome
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com