Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Most anti-climactic death?  (Read 30066 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most anti-climactic death?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 06:26:49 pm »

Not my death, but a demon master. I tested my strength against him for almost 10 mins of battle before binding him with his name, then took him down through his gate of hell to find more demons to fight. I found a single beetle type that I had fought by the handful, and I let the demon lord go so I could watch. He started a flying charge above it, as it had done against me many times. The fiend got a swipe at his wing, and the demon lord hit the slade and splattered into gore. Over in one round.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 09:14:54 am »

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2017, 03:53:29 am »

Once battled a guard on a staircase where he was above me. After i killed him his loincloth came crashing down, caving in my skull and killing me on the spot. So... yeah.
Been a while ago, luckily skulls are a bit sturdier since then.

*insert long hysterical laughter here* What a crap way to go. I'd ask myself "did that really just happen!??" and then "oh, shit.. it did...", good grief. Have mercy on me sides! The guard must have put or hidden a small ingot of platinum there in the pants or something.

"You have been encased in ice."
"You are deceased."

I was just trying to train up my swimming... 

Believe it or not but recently about a month or two back I was just crossing a river with my draenei character by swimming.. at the last tile from dry ground the water froze over while I was still in/on it.. just a tile away from safety and POOF!, so close to safety.. so close. Did revert the save but yeah, what a timing. Now I have to think thrice when crossing a river, that or just sprint jump over the river.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 04:03:04 am by Droggarth »
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 01:59:05 am »

That's why I always check the temperature before I swim across rivers in temperate regions and only train swimming in the tropics.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2017, 02:34:06 am »

Aye, sounds like a plan. I barely check the temperatures due to playing normally as one of my super creatures.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2017, 11:13:14 pm »

Had a fairly strong warrior who went from being an outsider to being fairly unstoppable.  She cleared out a dark pit, but it was night time and while she was strong, she was not Bogeyman strong.  I decided to climb down into the caverns, wander away a fair ways, take a nap and then go back up.  Unfortunately, on the climb up, she lost her footing.  Down, down she fell, trying in vain to grab hold of the walls (why didn't I add a point of climbing?).  As she got near the bottom of a pit, a blood thorn loomed.  With luck she might land on it and survive the fall.  Unfortunately, she fell just beside it.  She reached the bottom and I braced myself for the worst. Only... she didn't stop.  In the very place that she was falling there was another 1x1 pit.  So she kept falling, every z-level trying to grab the walls... until:

"You have discovered a magma sea.  You are deceased."

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2017, 02:26:19 am »

Yikes, that is both gloriously epic and gloriously terrible way to go. :o Damn, RNG madmen sure did create one colossal failure for her. What a reversed dumb luck!

Z49000

• Bay Watcher
  • [HERETIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2017, 11:14:44 pm »

I once died by jumping off a tree as a mantis woman.

Note to self, buff chitin.
"Science isn't about why. Science is about WHY NOT?"- Cave Johnson, Portal 2

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2017, 03:41:36 am »

Several years ago I decided to kill a mummy with my swordsman. I was aware of the curse, so i had a plan to wake him up using my companion. But before that i wanted to make sure that there were no other corpses in the room so they could not be raised. So i hauled all of them one by one, while i was sneaking, and it took me at least half an hour. Everything was ready, companion came close to a dead mummy, disturbing its sleep, got a curse and then... I remembered one thing. Whenever I decapitated someone i took their head as a trophy. And suddenly, all of those heads of bandits, vampires, trolls, night creatures and so on began to move. I took one step and my character was already exhausted from all of the blocked, parried and connected hits. Next thing i know, he fell unconscious and died. So much time was wasted on preparation just to be killed by his trophies.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2017, 02:43:38 pm »

Several years ago I decided to kill a mummy with my swordsman. I was aware of the curse, so i had a plan to wake him up using my companion. But before that i wanted to make sure that there were no other corpses in the room so they could not be raised. So i hauled all of them one by one, while i was sneaking, and it took me at least half an hour. Everything was ready, companion came close to a dead mummy, disturbing its sleep, got a curse and then... I remembered one thing. Whenever I decapitated someone i took their head as a trophy. And suddenly, all of those heads of bandits, vampires, trolls, night creatures and so on began to move. I took one step and my character was already exhausted from all of the blocked, parried and connected hits. Next thing i know, he fell unconscious and died. So much time was wasted on preparation just to be killed by his trophies.
I'm imagining all the hundreds of heads climbing out of his backpack, swarming over his body, and devouring him alive.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2017, 03:38:56 pm »

I've used severed heads for undead slave labor to build my buildings, how that makes any damn sense is even outside my imagination zone.. unless during building the heads can somehow fly around fast and fall down upon building process has either been halted or finished. Either way some serious witchcraft must be pulled off for that to work, that or those heads can turn into those flying skulls from Doom franchise, which is also a witchcraft in and of itself.

Regarding on-topic stuff, I've not had much memorable main character deaths, what little I remember is all from the first half of last year and many upon many stuff happened from learning the steep curve of both modding and playing and see what happens, all of the above compacted into one overflow of info and thus in a jumbled up grey mess.
Burned me out and only recently taking few small steps to get back into the game.

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2017, 12:51:28 pm »

My best adventurer drowned in a sewer (with grand master swimming) because I wanted to see the cave fish people.
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2017, 06:08:29 pm »

After wiping out every last troll and beak dog in one of the treasure pits of a dark fortress, I decided to go investigate anything that dropped to the cavern layer, and quicktrain my climbing. I lept off the edge so boldly that I neglected to sheathe my weapon and shield. I never got to see what was in the chests I landed on.

For a long time after that, I clung to the habit of always leaving a hand free in combat, no matter what.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2017, 11:26:25 am »

I was once fighting a single servant angel in the first room of a vault. Was quite a while ago so I don't remember either my adventurer's race or the appearance of the angel.
The room in question had a divide down the middle, only going one z-level down.
During the fight, my adventer auto-dodged into said divide, falling down and cracking his head open.
I realize the reason it happened is because of floor materials playing into fall damage (and slade is really dense so even a small fall would be deadly), however admittedly I still prefer the mental image of my adventurer doing a clumsy dodge, tripping and falling on his head, while the angel stands confused.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2017, 12:42:26 am »

I was fighting a dragon and blocking dragonfire just fine, then the statue next to me blew up, then the coins I was standing on coated me with molten gold and silver and copper...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7