Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Most anti-climactic death?  (Read 29872 times)

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
Re: Most anti-climactic death?
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2017, 01:37:35 pm »

Even a Demigod adventurer is no match for a measly crossbowgoblin when tired.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2017, 02:04:44 pm »

Brand new adventure, brand new world, etc. Start as a hearthperson, get two followers instantly, leave the lord's chamber to go search the next room for equipment....and suddenly time is rapidly passing.

I was hit by an arrow from a kobold or something hidden in the next room, instantly passed out and bled to death as my companions (I think) chased the kobold around.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2017, 03:13:45 pm »

You guys got some weird definition of 'climactic'.

If your adventure consisted ass-picking followed by finger-sniffing, then no dramatic climax was forthcoming and therefore no anticlimax was possible.

In the other extreme, if you put everything you had on the line and lost it spectacularly, that was the climax. The anticlimax would be a detailed description of how the peasants divided up those valueless trophies you didn't have the taste to throw away on your own.

EDIT: One of my anti-climactic deaths: Before I carried around a pick to dig impromptu shelters in case of boogeymen (like I'd ever have the sense to use it for that,) I thought I could just build a support and then a floor on top of it, and technically be inside. And that truly does work, provided you have it constructed.

Well I got stopped by cacklers in the middle of nowhere, and I believed I could take them, but I started setting up my provisional panic room just in case. By the time the support was done, they were already on me and cost me an ear and a finger. I was pretty well skilled with the iron dagger I had, and on a good shot it can cleanly bisect them, but it still took over 10 mins of scrambling around them to stay out of their multiple attacks, let my bleeding slow and my moderate stamina recover, and still try to get good strike opportunities.

After I knocked the last one and caught my breath in the golden silence of the night that remained, I returned to my support to complete the shelter over my head. But building a support is a two stage construction, and if you haven't completed the second stage, then you haven't built it at all. So I successfully built an unsupported floor tile over my head that predictably caved in and obliterated everything where I stood.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 04:07:15 pm by Uzu Bash »

JakeSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2017, 04:51:59 pm »

Small creature deaths including Carp, Capybara, Rat-men , Hamster-men and more...
VALLHALLA HUNGERS!!!
-JakeSlayer

TKR101010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2017, 06:22:47 pm »

My most unti-climactic deaths recently were due to me selecting a bunch of stuff for my miners to dig, looking at another part of the map working on the farming area that had just gotten dug out before, going to check on my miners and discovering that they had dug into some magma and were all dead. :(

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2017, 08:45:35 am »

was swimming in a river heading to a tomb and then I was frozen.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2017, 09:00:59 am »

was swimming in a river heading to a tomb and then I was frozen.

Protip: Don't swim along rivers. Walk near them on the same line.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2017, 03:20:57 pm »

Practicing swimming was probably the point. It always sounds like a great idea until you learn
Protip: Never trust a river.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2017, 09:37:17 pm »

Related Protip: Don't build a campfire next to a natural ice wall. It will melt, flow, put out the campfire, and encase you in ice as it refreezes. I know this from experience - I was returning to civilization after raiding a vault - which is also my answer to this thread.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Dragonunion

• Bay Watcher
  • ... challenging the monsters of the depths
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2017, 03:56:18 am »

freezed while Swimming in a murky pool. HE INSTANTLY FREEZED XD
The old apple revels in its authority.

dillonsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2017, 12:56:07 am »

Getting one shotted by some random hammerman in a dungeon, after fighting against a huge battle were my guy was the only on who didn't get injuried or killed.

And of course it had to be a hammerman who was already severely crippled.

SomeKindOfGnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2017, 09:33:29 am »

A while back, I had a spear-human vamp who's kill count included multiple lords, rocs, and giants. I was on my way with a group of adventurers to slay a Hydra, and came across a very large and steep cliff. Looking down below, I noticed there was a river at the bottom.
My vamp wasn't the greatest climber, so I thought that diving would be the best option.
However, I didn't account for 2 things.
1. You still get fall damage from that height, even if you fall into water, and
2. He didn't know how to swim.
So, he floundered in the water for a bit with a bit of damage from the fall. Nothing too serious, really. It just took awhile for him to start moving.
Fortunately for me, vampires can't drown.

But they can freeze.
Signature? I hardly know 'er.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2017, 09:36:14 am »

Lots of the deaths here involve freezing. Seriously, guys, don't swim at evening.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2017, 12:35:03 pm »

It's true, those rivers are out to get you. Why do you think you can't fast travel across them? Because it's an ambush!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2017, 01:22:16 pm »

I got gored in the head by a crippled angel in a vault after getting nearly to the bottom of it - rather lame since it was a single hit that just managed to jam my skull through my brain.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7