Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tales from Entar: A Family of Steel  (Read 996 times)

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
  • The only person who cares about Tales from Entar
    • View Profile
Tales from Entar: A Family of Steel
« on: June 18, 2017, 09:20:02 am »

This world's gradually becoming my favourite that I've ever generated. I've had three fortresses and several adventurers running in the space of fifteen in-game years, and I've gotten more than a few decent stories out of it.

At present I'm running a community game in the Entar save known as The Vault of Horror, which is still ongoing at the time of writing. While I wait for the next turn to finish I decided to dive into the backup save I have in case the game doesn't take off, currently in the year 1065, and decided to look through Legends to see what's gone on since I started the newest fortress.

I found that the humans, having been at war with us since a little...incident at my original fort of Silverypainted in 1054, had attacked Skinnedseals, my most successful fortress, and had been repelled with nothing but a few dead cats as a result. I also discovered at the same time something that has never EVER happened in any fortress I've ever run: A dwarf died from old age.

Curious, I decided to look into this lucky soul, having never seen someone just die of natural causes before.

His name was Libash Walledheal, and died peacefully at the impressive age of 168.

Born in The Burnt Plague in the year 896, Libash had a peaceful childhood, eventually leaving the group at age 12 to join The Moist Staff as the fortress of Urnanguished, where he married a tanner named Zan Anvilfires.
He lived there as a farmer for 152 years, in which time he fathered two children; a son named Mestthos Clashwalled and a daughter named Besmar Sealentries.
Zan left Urnanguished to become a mercenary. She frequently wrote back to Libash, letting him know of everything she'd seen in her travels, including her victory in battle against the human vampire Atkil Islandflame in 1053. By late 1054, Libash had not heard from Zan in some time, only to discover she had fallen in battle not long after the beginning of the Human-Dwarf War, being shot down by the human crossbowman Ica Islandflame.
Five years passed, and having decided that there was nothing left for him in Urnanguished, his son having left to become a mercenary like his late mother, packed his belongings and made his way to Skinnedseals, joining The Banner of Souls and reuniting with his daughter.
An old man by this point, Libash offered his services as a farmer, but was conscripted into the fortress militia, in which time he quickly mastered the sword and became one of Skinnedseals' most accomplished swordsdwarves, even becoming Captain of the Guard for a brief period in 1062, before earning the right to retire and return to his farming.
Libash lived the remainder of his days in peace with his daughter before meeting his end in the year 1064, unaware of the human attacks outside the fortress.

Looking into his family tree I've discovered that quite a few members of what I like to call "House Walledheal" have been serious badasses, to the point I feel the urge to share them with you guys. Would anyone be interested in this? I mean I'll probably do it anyway but yknow... :P
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 12:01:35 pm by comicraider »

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Re: Tales from Entar: A Family of Steel
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 09:26:57 am »

Cool, would read more.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 09:29:03 am »

Sweet, I've just spent the last half hour digging through Legends and I have stuff all the way up to his grandparent's generation :P I wish third-party stuff worked with 43.05, having to do this manually is an absolute pain.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 09:34:23 am »

Sweet, I've just spent the last half hour digging through Legends and I have stuff all the way up to his grandparent's generation :P I wish third-party stuff worked with 43.05, having to do this manually is an absolute pain.
The legends viewer works gor 43.05
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 09:49:08 am »

Strange, I get a plethora of errors when I use this version, I'll keep trying but for now I'll do what I've got already. Anyhow, Libash's daughter Besmar is pretty uninteresting, she just moved to Skinnedseals as a spinner. It's the son and mother that start the chain of intrigue.

Having already talked about Zan Anvilfires, Libash's late wife who died a noble end in battle, I'll take a little look at their only son, Mestthos Clashwalled.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Born in Urnanguished in 941, Mestthos lived with his parents until the age of 12, when he became a mercenary much like his mother. Business was slow for the first century but by the start of 1050 Mestthos found himself travelling all over the world, notably making several stops in Giftorb, Mountainhome of The Banner of Souls and the capital of dwarven civilization.

In spite of his many years as a mercenary Mestthos never took a single life, in stark contrast to his mother, and did his best to stay out of trouble once the First Werebeast Invasion at Silverypainted resulted in war breaking out between the humans of The Kingdom of Celebrating, the elves of The Empire of Buds and the dwarves of The Banner of Souls and the border fortresses erupting in chaos, with human assaults ravaging the dwarven fronteir.

During this time Silverypainted was resettled and abandoned many times, having blatantly become a werebuffalo and weregila monster infested deathtrap, but in spite of this it had become tradition to resettle at this point, as the tavern is amazing.
Mestthos stopped by the cursed fortress in the last days of the most recent expedition, just in time to see several months of peace ended by a weregila monster escaping quarantine and slaughtering almost everyone.
Few people made it out, and Mestthos was the only one to escape unscathed. While he still lives his current location is unknown, possibly still wandering the empty shanty town and bloodstained halls of Silverypainted. For a peaceful dwarf, he's seen some shit.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 07:11:13 pm by comicraider »

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 02:36:33 pm »

Jesus, putting this thing together manually is frustrating. Anyways, here's some lore on Libash's parent's generation. Not gonna include distant relatives like cousins etc. purely because this is getting frustrating.

Libash Walledheal's side of the family;

Father:

Mother:

Aunt (Maternal):

Uncle (Maternal):

Uncle (Maternal):

Uncle (Maternal):

Aunt (Paternal):

Uncle (Paternal):

Zan Anvilfires' side of the family;

Brother:

Mother:

Father:

Uncle:

Aunt:

Other Aunt:

I'll look into the great-grandparents later, this is getting confusing. Might also do an extra post looking into Likot's similarly-titled son in the meantime.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 02:47:39 pm by comicraider »

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 02:40:30 pm »

Just looked into the son, Tosid Bootdrills became a mercenary alongside Likot, and died with her in the battle. He killed a further ten elves, two as old as 1050, in an attempt to avenge his fallen mother, but sadly her killer avoided his wrath. He died age 84 with two daughters and a son.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 07:51:32 am »

PTW
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 09:50:20 am »

I had to look up what that means on google and learned nothing, now I feel kinda stupid. GG :P

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 12:23:48 pm »

😝 Post To Watch, its forum slang, sorry.
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 05:05:19 pm »

I was looking on Urban Dictionary so it was my own fault  :P Researching the great-grandparents' generation as we speak

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 01:10:21 pm »

Quick update: I just realised that I forgot to mention Libash's mother, Asmel Coalswallowed, and any of her siblings. Adding their story as we speak.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 02:48:19 pm by comicraider »

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 03:47:03 pm »

Alrighty, I've been trawling Legends to find the great-grandsires of this mighty family. This is gonna start making long posts so I'll be breaking them up a little. This thread will concern Libash's side of the family, I'll post Zan's family seperately.

Libash's ancestors

Maternal:

Grandmother:

Grandfather:

Paternal

Grandmother:

Grandfather:

Great Uncle:

Great Uncle:

Great Uncle:

Great Uncle:

Welp, that's Libash Walledheal's section of this generation. This is getting kinda draining to do manually but I should have Zan Anvilfires' section up soon.