Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Saving The Hall of Legends' stories  (Read 14223 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Re: Saving The Hall of Legends' stories
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 10:36:56 pm »

I created a topic similar to this in the General Discussions.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164402.0

It's so bad to see stories being lost due to websites closing, or missing 90% of the images.
And in a hope this helps, try using the archive.org, the internet time machine.

No good there- the bot is blocked on this site.
http://www.bay12forums.com/robots.txt

Bay12 is blocked there?
Why?
Tody blocked it cause it uses up bandwidth.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Mane-Shaker

• Bay Watcher
  • RIP AND TEAR! BIG GUY, BIG GUTS!!!
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt! Yes, I draw!
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 11:08:23 pm »

It's so bad to see stories being lost due to websites closing, or missing 90% of the images.

Bay12 is blocked there?
Why?

Makes sense, after some research.  ???
but yeah, seems we have similar thoughts about the stories, and how they are being lost.
Boatmurdered, Headshoots and Syrupleaf in my opinion, are 3 stories that every new DF player should read, as if literature in school.  8)
These 3 along with Bronzemule (I think) are safe in the LP Archive.
On the other hand, have this word document containing: Battlefailed, Failcannon and Hellcannon.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10721

When this nice guy gave me the link, he only said Battlefailed, but didn't expect to find the other 2 sequels in there.  :D  ;D
I would say, 90% of the images are there while some are lost. But hey! Better than nothing.
Evil blood, evil origins... but the heart is not dark.
An unwritten destiny, a long road to walk and choices to make.
Your story, your destiny...

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2017, 11:20:26 pm »

Keeping Boatmurdered, Headshoots, and Syrupleaf safe should be the priority of any DF player.

I say just PDF all we can and save all that can be. Even if we just screenshot each page, at least the pictures will survive. Even a word doc of the stories would be prefered over nothing
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2017, 11:45:36 pm »

Bay12 is blocked there?
Why?

Makes sense, after some research.  ???
but yeah, seems we have similar thoughts about the stories, and how they are being lost.
Boatmurdered, Headshoots and Syrupleaf in my opinion, are 3 stories that every new DF player should read, as if literature in school.  8)
These 3 along with Bronzemule (I think) are safe in the LP Archive.
On the other hand, have this word document containing: Battlefailed, Failcannon and Hellcannon.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10721

When this nice guy gave me the link, he only said Battlefailed, but didn't expect to find the other 2 sequels in there.  :D  ;D
I would say, 90% of the images are there while some are lost. But hey! Better than nothing.
I will add this link to the OP, thank you.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 11:56:25 pm by snow dwarf »
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 01:44:51 am »

Alright, I figured out how to download an entire thread and its images. It's not elegant for readers but for backup purposes it should be fine.

Take the Dwarvemon thread for example.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
1. Click on the thread's Print button. This gives you a PDF-friendly copy of the entire thread.
2. Add ;images to the end of the URL. This replaces the inline image links with images.
3. Wait for everything to load. Larger threads may cause page timeout - just refresh.
4. Now we have the entire thread with all comments and pictures. You can now either save the backup as an offline HTML or print into PDF.

Before converting to PDF, you have to expand all spoiler tags, otherwise they will remain closed. Here's how you do it:

Firefox
5. Right click > Inspect Element
6. Go to the Style Editor tab and add a new stylesheet (+ icon, top left)
7. Add
Code: [Select]
.spoilerbody
{
  display: block !important;
}

Voila! All spoiler tags are now open.

8. Add
Code: [Select]
.bbc_img
{
  max-width: 100%;
}

to prevent large images from being cut off.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 12:24:30 am by Bearskie »

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 02:35:00 am »

Alright, I figured out how to download an entire thread and its images. It's not elegant for readers but for backup purposes it should be fine.

Take the Dwarvemon thread for example.

1. Click on the thread's Print button. This gives you a PDF-friendly copy of the entire thread.
2. Add ;images to the end of the URL. This replaces the inline image links with images.
3. Wait for everything to load. Larger threads may cause page timeout - just refresh.
4. Now we have the entire thread with all comments and pictures. You can now either save the backup as an offline HTML or print into PDF.

PDF is ideal, but there's a problem - you'll have to manually expand all spoiler tags before converting to PDF. I'm trying to get all the spoiler tags to expand by default, but honestly my CSS skills are non-existent.
Wow! Thank you, this makes it really fast. It won't be pretty as you said, but it will let the images survive until somebody wans to make a proper pdf.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2017, 03:42:28 am »

Hey, I've edited my post with how to expand all spoiler tags, allowing for PDF files.

I would recommend using page sizes as large as possible, because some images tend to be pretty big and wrap around the edges. Margins/footers are also useless, get rid of them.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2017, 03:44:45 am »

Hey, I've edited my post with how to expand all spoiler tags, allowing for PDF files.

I would recommend using page sizes as large as possible, because some images tend to be pretty big and wrap around the edges. Margins/footers are also useless, get rid of them.
Thank you again, I thought I would have had to do everything by hand and now saving the stories will be much easier.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2017, 07:49:56 am »

Well, thats easier than I wouldve thought, I wish you all the luck, if you need help, just pm me 😝
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Mane-Shaker

• Bay Watcher
  • RIP AND TEAR! BIG GUY, BIG GUTS!!!
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt! Yes, I draw!
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2017, 08:34:01 am »

Keeping Boatmurdered, Headshoots, and Syrupleaf safe should be the priority of any DF player.

I say just PDF all we can and save all that can be. Even if we just screenshot each page, at least the pictures will survive. Even a word doc of the stories would be prefered over nothing

If there was a last thing to exist about Dwarf Fortress in the internet, It would be:

[
WELCOME TO FUCKING BOATMURDERED
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 09:29:47 am by Mane-Shaker »
Evil blood, evil origins... but the heart is not dark.
An unwritten destiny, a long road to walk and choices to make.
Your story, your destiny...

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2017, 10:12:06 am »

Progress update: I decided to start out from the top and the first fort that requires 'saving' (other than Sparkgear which has 12 threads) is Halltraded. I think almost all images are there. I have never read it so I guess that I'm gonna have a fun time with it.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2017, 11:11:24 am »

Hmm... on my initial attempt to PDF Breadbowl, 99% of the images were included fine, but a small number of images don't load for some reason, whether it's my internet or the print feature. I think you should try saving HTML as well, hopefully that format doesn't drop any images. Photobucket is a pain in the ass.

I was going to make a joke about the bandwidth it'd take to archive Spearbreakers, but apparently it already has a pdf and doc in the main thread. Eh. Good luck to those archiving Glitterglen then. That's another doozy of convoluted (pony) roleplaying.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 05:27:47 am by Bearskie »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2017, 03:20:11 pm »

I still have my Google docs for my chapter entries, and the images that uploaded to imgur. 

I wrote a lot of words, lol.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2017, 04:39:09 pm »

I was involved with the original Museum, Adventure mode Succession World and it's shorter-lived sequel, the appropriately named Museum II; new adventure succession world.  I even have some assets from the original game that never made it onto the boards, like the site "The Great Tree" in the original that was never officially visited. (It's a pretty awesome feat of architecture/sculpture. I think I visited it off-game and made some 3d pictures of it using Obsidian, which worked in 34.11 but not later versions.)
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2017, 11:52:13 pm »

I was going to make a joke about the bandwidth it'd take to archive Spearbreakers, but apparently it already has a pdf and doc in the main thread. Eh. Good luck to those archiving Glitterglen then. That's another doozy of convoluted (pony) roleplaying.
Thank you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4