Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why do my animal trainers not want to train some of my baby animals  (Read 733 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I have like 5 animal trainers and at the beginning of winter, some of the giraffe's I had trained gave birth, but by the end of winter not one of them had been tamed, meanwhile my cave crocodile eggs hatched and many of the babys were tamed, but not all of them, can someone explain this to me?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why do my animal trainers not want to train some of my baby animals
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 03:40:41 am »

No, not without examining your fortress, but we can provide some reasons for why this can happen:
- Each and every animal that should be trained has to be designated for training. It's easy to miss one or more of them.
- Trainers may have other priorities than training, such a performing "regular" jobs or going on prayer benders.
- Animals assigned to specific trainers will be trained only by their respective trainers. This means that a prayer bender followed by a socializing bender may leave some individuals without training for quite a long time. Not to mention when a trainer croaks...
- It's possible to have more animals that require training than the trainers can handle, in particular when individual trainers are assigned. I have no idea what that limit is, however.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why do my animal trainers not want to train some of my baby animals
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 10:04:07 am »

It appears what I needed to do was use DFhack to retire both my temple and tavern as that seems to have made them function now