Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: user friendly  (Read 3750 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: user friendly
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 04:28:37 pm »

Best not to bring up Dwarf Therapist here.
A) It's not required in any way, unless you want to micromanage your dwarfs (which, yes, some people do) or cheat with some of the extra features.

B) It's another case of, it's not going to work like this after it gets revamped (as has been stated many times) so why waste time making a temporary interface?

C) It's not a priority because "everyone" uses Dwarf Therapist (yeah, that's not a real argument, but there's 20 years of coding to prioritise, so it surely crosses his mind sometimes).

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2017, 10:42:54 pm »

Woah opened up a bit of a can of worms, to clarify:

I'm not saying Toady has NEVER updated the UI, -he has- but I think we can all agree that there are some things that could be improved still. A good UI can make or break a game for a newer player, and one of the biggest barriers of entry to Dwarf Fortress is the UI.

Better UI = More Players = Game doesn't die

This could be as simple as making all menus support mouse clicks alongside hotkeys. Or letting experienced players disable the help command. Can't tell you how many time's I've bumped the '?' key while trying to hit the '>' key.

And by Map I mean the dwarf fortress mode map

Completely useless, especially when you go underground.
Big ol' waste of space if you ask me. Subjective perhaps, but it's the first thing I tab away from. I don't find it terribly useful because of the vertical elements of the game. If you could "lock" it to a layer somehow it might be useful, but otherwise it is not.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2017, 11:02:13 pm »

Or letting experienced players disable the help command. Can't tell you how many time's I've bumped the '?' key while trying to hit the '>' key.
You can rebind keys, including the help command, from the Esc menu.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Velocifaptor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2017, 08:14:49 am »

= Game doesn't die.

I hate to sound like an elitist because I'm happy to see new players learning the game and playing but the game doesn't need new players to survive and it doesn't need to become more user friendly to gain new players. There is literally nothing stopping anyone that wants to learn to play from learning to play and playing. Its free. There's tons of help and tutorials everywhere. And moreover with the current way things are (even in several year long droughts of new content) there is actually just no stoppage of fun in the game even for veteran players. This game will never die from lack of new players.

I've just seen so many games destroyed in the effort to gain a larger/newer playerbase that its become a surefire early warning system for me. The only good new player is the new player that comes to the game. Nothing good can come from new players that expect a game to come to them. Part of the reason why EVE Online is still trucking along (even though they are always trying to attract new players) is because CCP hasn't folded in and alienated their own userbase for attracting a wider audience. I doubt the UI improvements your suggesting are quite what I'm referring to in terms of building design towards attracting new players. However the current trend in large scale games and some indie games is that the game should try to attract every player it possibly can. I think they lose sight of just trying to make a good, focused game, sometimes people just don't want to play the game your making and that's totally fine.

Another genre that "suffers" from this is fighting games. However as much as people playing fighting games want new competition to join the community none of them are willing to sacrifice what makes competitive fighting games what they are. If you don't have the drive to legitimately practice, advance, and overcome the people that were destroying you before then you shouldn't be playing competitive fighting games, because that's literally the entire point of playing them.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 10:06:44 am »

there are two examples I remember from the top of my head:
1. is the stockpile selection (where you choose what to store in it) which isn't how you make this kind of interface and isn't how humans work on this kind of interface.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean. I've been able to work with it just fine.
I've found that going through some of the larger item lists is an endurance test sometimes, because they are not in alphabetical order. You may want just a few creature types for a "target practice" animal stockpile, then you are swearing because, why are "Crundles so hard to find this time?". This happens to me with the lists for Animals, Food/Plant, and Refuse (to the butchery, or not to the butchery?).

I thought I was staying on target here, with regards to what the OP and lethosor were talking on.

@Velocifaptor
I don't know little or nothing about DFHack and the utilities it provides. I wasn't trying to refer to any feature of DFHack or Dwarf Therapist.

@IT 000
Yes, can of worms. Talking about every "related" thing at once is the "can of worms". I don't see where you were referring to the same things the OP was talking about, just references to "related" things.

= Game doesn't die.
Another genre that "suffers" from this is fighting games. However as much as people playing fighting games want new competition to join the community none of them are willing to sacrifice what makes competitive fighting games what they are. If you don't have the drive to legitimately practice, advance, and overcome the people that were destroying you before then you shouldn't be playing competitive fighting games, because that's literally the entire point of playing them.
Agreed on all points in the entire of that post and on this point especially!
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

shachar2like

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2017, 01:11:49 pm »

This could be as simple as making all menus support mouse clicks alongside hotkeys.

OH YES! OH GOD!
I wasn't even thinking about this since this is way more complicated and time consuming then what I thought about.

shachar2like

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2017, 01:17:36 pm »

there are two examples I remember from the top of my head:
1. is the stockpile selection (where you choose what to store in it) which isn't how you make this kind of interface and isn't how humans work on this kind of interface.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean. I've been able to work with it just fine.

it's not that it's not workable
it's just not intuitive which means that you need to learn to use it.

other games have menus like that but they don't give you a different button to each column.
you navigate the menus with a single key and you mark the menus with a single key.

Later advanced menus improved upon it by allowing to mark/unmark all.

the current stockpile settings menu is usable but is using: e/d, a/b & f/p
it's usable, it saves time not touching it and keeping it as it is. but its not how it's done.

Wastewhile

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 09:57:37 pm »

Perhaps a work-around for some people re. UI could be mifki's IOS DF Remote?

I haven't tried it myself (although I'm dying to), but the comments I've seen here and on iTunes all seem to rave about how wonderful the UI is.  It has a fully native IOS UI, with contextual menus based on what you touch (as I understand it).

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2017, 12:39:53 am »

= Game doesn't die.

I hate to sound like an elitist because I'm happy to see new players learning the game and playing but the game doesn't need new players to survive and it doesn't need to become more user friendly to gain new players. There is literally nothing stopping anyone that wants to learn to play from learning to play and playing. Its free. There's tons of help and tutorials everywhere. And moreover with the current way things are (even in several year long droughts of new content) there is actually just no stoppage of fun in the game even for veteran players. This game will never die from lack of new players.

I've just seen so many games destroyed in the effort to gain a larger/newer playerbase that its become a surefire early warning system for me. The only good new player is the new player that comes to the game. Nothing good can come from new players that expect a game to come to them. Part of the reason why EVE Online is still trucking along (even though they are always trying to attract new players) is because CCP hasn't folded in and alienated their own userbase for attracting a wider audience. I doubt the UI improvements your suggesting are quite what I'm referring to in terms of building design towards attracting new players. However the current trend in large scale games and some indie games is that the game should try to attract every player it possibly can. I think they lose sight of just trying to make a good, focused game, sometimes people just don't want to play the game your making and that's totally fine.

Except that there's an easy way to bring new players into the fighting genre, and that's to make a fighting genre game that is easy to get into, with mechanics that can help the less-skilled player win sometimes... and it's called Smash Bros., and it's probably more popular than all other fighting games, combined.   And when players have graduated from playing games that have random item drops to wanting to play a game without those random elements (Fox only, no items, Final Destination), they are ready to play the games that expect you to have the basics mastered coming in.

Taking the position that getting new players interested in a genre such that the genre doesn't asphyxiate from sheer player attrition is inherently going to ruin the game is a rather false dichotomy, and one that both hurts the genres you want to preserve and also justifies some really bad design decisions as things that just can't be helped when it's blatantly not the case.  Besides, if those MMOs were willing to take desperate measures to get new players into their servers in the first place, doesn't that mean they were going to go under if they didn't get new players, anyway?  Doesn't EVE Online's lack of need to take desperate measures to get new players prove they don't need to take those measures to keep new players coming in because their game already draws them in?  This seems a causation/correlation confusion.

Anyway, there's a huge difference between doing something like destroying game balance with constant item power inflation to make all the items players were grinding for a few months ago totally useless and obsolete and simply redesigning the user interface to do the exact same thing in fewer button pushes. 

I've been saying this for years in several of the other threads, but the biggest problem with Dwarf Fortress is its Information Invisibility problem.  There was a bug a while back that had been in the game for years involving eyelashes that grew forever, resulting in dwarves with eyelashes several feet long because they would grow a millimeter every few game ticks (wasting FPS) forever... and nobody noticed (because the only indication of eyelash length is a details page text description that doesn't describe lengths past a certain point) until Quietust found unusual data when memory-hacking the game.   Dwarf Fortress is a game where even the developer doesn't know what is going on under the hood, and only memory hackers can find out how things are actually working.  You need things like DF Hack to see crucial data like whether your livestock is gay without excruciatingly time-consuming trial-and-error setups. 

By far the most dire sin Dwarf Fortress frequently commits is that information (when you can actually find it) is often segregated from where decisions are made.  Oftentimes, information you need to make informed decisions is only found in places like the details page, but that's often several button presses away from places like the labors menu, and you lose your place in the menus any time you try to go look for the information you need to make the decisions on those other menus. 

It should be the credo of any interface designer that the information you need to make an informed choice should be on the same menu as the one where you make the choice (or at least, just a single pop-up away that you can go straight back to the decision menu without losing your place). 

Even beyond that, there is the problem of there being so many different ways you need to navigate the UI and gameworld.  I, for one, always make sure to rebind keys just to make things a little easier on myself.  (5 and 0 for up and down make things vastly easier than < and > to go up and down while the numpad moves in all other directions... no wonder so many other players make ludicrously inefficient horizontal fortresses when it's such a pain to move up and down!)  As already mentioned, controlling moving up and down in lists or extending lengths or areas of different constructions can be any of three different combinations of buttons. There are FIVE different buttons that have a "look" function, depending on if you are looking at creatures, loose items, workshops, areas, or furniture.  Surely, just streamlining this so that there's a unified control scheme, and you don't need to memorize totally disparate controls for every different menu (because Toady now wants to use a different control scheme than he did 3 years ago when he designed the last menu, but isn't going to bother taking the 3 minutes it would take to rebind the keys in the old one or because he's afraid people would complain if he changed the old setup) wouldn't cause some sort of MMO-style new-player-hunting death spiral.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 [2]