Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Menaces with Splinters entry: Angersquats  (Read 3263 times)

Massenstein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Menaces with Splinters entry: Angersquats
« on: June 19, 2017, 07:38:10 am »

This is my entry to a community game over at /r/MenacesWithSplinters. The idea is, we all start from the same save file and see where it goes from there. Here's instructions about the challenge.

Personal notes: I re-name all my dwarves and permanent visitors so I don't get confused, also because so many people in the game have the same first-name. I usually pick up a word that their original name reminds me of, so Ber becomes Berry, Dumed becomes Dumbledore and so on. Some might probably consider my naming policy immersion-breaking. However in other aspects I try to stay true to the game world and in-character.

I'll be making each entry a separate post so I can later create links to each of them. Unless there is a way to do that inside one post? If there is, let me know how.

Here we go.

--

Granite, 251

Goodest Mountainhome.
We have arrived safely and settled down. We had a long and difficult discussion of the name of the outpost. Expedition leader 'Mintchocolate' Steelfaint wanted to call it Stukólnen Gishgil Nanir - Squashedpoets the Contempt of Rhymes - but was voted down by everyone who doesn't hate poetry. She went away to vent her frustration through rigorous physical exercise, and the rest of us decided to call the outpost Ustostumos or Angersquats in the common language.

After calming down Mintchocolate decided this is a good name.

Miners 'Dumbledore' Gearedtamed and 'Gummy' Craftseas cleared out some rooms for farming in the soil layer and are now toiling deeper underground. 'Dishman' Kindlinggorge is busy chopping trees, while 'Berry' Paintscoured and 'Olut' Doorsilver are hauling stuff around. I personally am responsible for minding the farm and keeping books, including correspondent duties.

Mintchocolate is squatting angrily.

Yours truly and loyally,
'Rime' Raglures, Bookkeeper & Planter

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 07:40:32 am by Massenstein »

Massenstein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Menaces with Splinters entry: Angersquats
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 07:40:15 am »

Felsite, 251

Goodest Mountainhome

As Mintchocolate put it, this place is the tits. I am inclined to agree with that vulgar statement. The river is brimming with fish and the Earth is pregnant with minerals. Already the miners have struck limonite and bituminous coal, as well as numerous kind of precious jewels.

And we finally have a carpenter's shop being set up, so we need not sleep on the floor much longer. A kitchen and a still are also being built as I scribe this letter.

Only thing of worry is sightings of giant animals - rhinoceros and warthogs - wandering curiously at the outskirts of our home. We do not yet possess much in the way of arms; a fact that causes great anxiety to Mintchocolate. Regularly she brings up the notion of forming a militia, with the result of everyone suddenly finding some kind of work to do.

I have plenty of free time so I offered to accompany the expedition leader on her exercises. She laughed and told me to get back to lifting letters and numbers.

Yours affrontedly,
Rime Raglures, Bookkeeper & Planter

Massenstein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 09:42:44 am »

Galena, 251

Goodest Mountainhome

The summer has passed mostly uneventfully. We still don't have beds, as Mintchocolate diverted the workers to create a wall around the entrance.

Early this month we got our first wave of immigrants. Mintchocolate immediately began examining their physical fitness and their partiality to martial efforts. Most quickly ducked away asking if there's any hauling to be done. Two dwarves remained, interested. A giant of a shearer by the name of 'Krusty' Palacerings, and his cook wife 'Rousey' Ironmorning. Mintchocolate looked like she might cry of happiness.

Those three started plotting the beginnings of a militia. Mintchocolate updated my job description with the duties of a manager, since she was now too busy for that. With this newly acquired power I immediately ordered the excavating of a number of bedrooms, as well as a decent-sized office for myself. Until now I've had to do my bookkeeping in the latrine.

I also queried newcomers for their skills. Most are not useful in our current situation. A butcher, a miller and a glassmaker I assigned to smoothing walls. A woodburner named 'Razor' Mutelabor I sent to helping Gummy with getting the forge started. I foresaw Mintchocolate wanting weapons and armour soon, and there were other metal objects we could use.

Today, nearing the end of the month, we have several crude bedrooms ready. I reserve one for myself. My office is not yet finished, but I am scribing this letter sitting on my bed. It smells of orange wood.

Yours contently,
Rime Raglures, Bookkeeper & Manager & Planter

solarfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 01:00:23 pm »

Nice !
PTW, and I'll check this challenge soon !
It's on the latest DF version, yes ?
I'm very interested !!  :P

Massenstein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 01:11:24 pm »

Nice !
PTW, and I'll check this challenge soon !
It's on the latest DF version, yes ?
I'm very interested !!  :P

Glad you like it :) Yes, the latest version so you can expect taverns, temples and libraries and everything that comes with them. Will be a while before I get any of those set up, though.

One more update today and then I must sleep.

Massenstein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 01:16:52 pm »

Limestone, 251

Autumn is here. I am reminded we haven't yet built a trade depot. I take Gummy and Rocksteady with me to case a place for it within the recently erected walls. Mintchocolate is there training with new recruits. Unhappy with us disturbing. I try to explain, patiently and using easy words, the importance of trade. She listens for a moment, then adds broker to my job description before heading off to bully local wildlife with her recruits.

The buildling of trade depot commences. My office finally finished, I go through my notes. Mainly stone statues Berry has been making lately. Almost all of them detail adventurers dying at the hands of various monsters. The one statue not related to death is of terrified-looking Mintchocolate being surrounded by large roaches. I decide I need to have a talk with Berry. I also decide to have that particular statue installed into my office.

On 12th day the caravan arrives, bringing with them the outpost liaison. Who seeks out Mintchocolate. Fearing diplomatic disaster I invite myself to the meeting. I worried for nothing. Those two get along splendidly, admiring each other's muscles. I only interject when trading agreement is discussed. I make request for leather and cloth, since those are time-consuming to produce. Also seeds to add variety to our diet.

Then I go to see the traders. They have lots of things I want, but we don't have much to give. The traders are not enchanted by Berry's grim statues.

I long to get my hands on their books and scrolls, but those are a luxury Angersquats cannot yet afford. I settle for meager amount of alchol, yarn, seeds and one iron crossbow so I can assign someone to hunting. My meager farm has not been able to respond to growing population. The cooks have also been using alcohol for meal ingredient since no one told them not to. I hope my purchases help ease the situation until we get our own productions underway.

As I finish with the traders, I get the word that a new bunch of immigrants has arrived. I send some orders to the kitchen and set to interview newcomers.

None seem particularly talented or interesting at first. Then the woodcutter, 'Bomber' Diamondspeaker, mentions fondness for literature and my interest sparks. Turns out he has authored several plays. My brain started to fill with plans on how to utilize his talents to improve the culture of our puny community. Unfortunately that was when Mintchocolate returned and noticed Bomber's muscles. He was immediately drafted. I hope she doesn't get him killed.

At the end of Limestone the future of Angersquats seems promising. More bedrooms are being prepared, various productions are starting and we are not in immediate danger of alcohol shortage anymore. And I get to write this letter in my very own office, staring at a statue of very dismayed Mintchocolate Steelfaint. Life is good.

Yours optimistically,
Rime Raglures, Bookkeeper & Manager & Broker & Planter
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 11:06:20 pm by Massenstein »

Massenstein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 06:41:12 am »

Obsidian, 251

Goodest Mountainhome

It is winter but you wouldn't know that by looking outside. At the Hills of Broiling the weather is warm all year round. I am glad my work keeps me underground where it is cool.

The last few months have seen plenty of changes in Angersquats. We now have bedrooms for everyone, as well as a decent dining room. I have more rooms and projects planned, but Mintchocolate keeps borrowing my workforce for something, so my plans are on hold.

Everyone has their hands are full. Dishman is getting very good at carpentry. We now have some masterwork beds. Likewise, Berry is getting amazing at masonry. She's been working on doors, chairs and tables. I plan on keeping the best ones for ourselves and selling the rest.
Rousey's been apprenticing with Berry between combat drills. Berry has her cranking out stone bricks to get the feel of the tools. Mintchocolate hoards the bricks as soon as they get ready.
The metal production has finally started, too. Anticipating future demand I had four smelters and three forges built, though Gummy Craftseas. He's been toiling day and night making metal tools and arms. I told him to follow Berry's example and draft some apprentices before he overworks himself to death.

We have enough prepared meals that we can sell some when the next caravan arrives. Alcohol situation could be better, though. I will have another still built when we have more hands to work it.

Me, I've been crafting stone goblets and cutting gems whenever I've had time from my other duties. That leaves me with almost no free time, but I have no complaints, as working on the small crafts has been immensely relaxing.

I hope everyone is well back in the Mountainhome.

Yours overworkedly,
Rime Raglures, Bookkeeper & Manager & Broker & Planter & Stonecrafter & Jeweller

tenach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 06:52:01 am »

Angersquats, Mintchocolate... this run has the best names so far. xD I love how Raglures' titles get longer and longer each update.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 03:16:29 pm »

I'm enjoying this, and has inspired me to check out /r/Menaces With Splinter.

I got the world-gen last night and planned an embark.  I got to strike the earth. 

So will most likely post an entry this week.

I like your dorf naming Massenstein, similar to mine as I get tired of dorf names to make them more memorable.

Massenstein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 06:54:01 am »

Angersquats, Mintchocolate... this run has the best names so far. xD I love how Raglures' titles get longer and longer each update.

I'm glad you like it :)

I'm enjoying this, and has inspired me to check out /r/Menaces With Splinter.

I got the world-gen last night and planned an embark.  I got to strike the earth. 

So will most likely post an entry this week.

I like your dorf naming Massenstein, similar to mine as I get tired of dorf names to make them more memorable.

Glad to hear! And yay :D Welcome to the splinter challenge! \o/

Massenstein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 06:55:54 am »

Felsite, 252

Spring is here! The elven nation Quithe Lelu had gotten the word of our little outpost and sent a trading caravan. The instant the caravan was spotted in the horizon Rousey, Krusty and Bomber launched Operation Distraction, taking Mintchocolate down to forge level to investigate weaponry.

Our leader has been very vocal of her hatred for elves. None of us wanted to see what would happen if she met them.

With Mintchocolate safely distracted I had trade goods brought up and chatted with the merchants. Berry had made few more statues depicting gruesome deaths, and the elves were fascinated by these. Gummy's giant iron blades also interested them.

Sadly they had not packed much goods that would interest us. I purchased all of their fruit and musical instruments, and, suffering from momentary insanity, a caged giant brown recluse spider.

I paid them plentifully to ensure their willingness to return next year.

After the happy merchants left, I looked over my purchases and regretted the spider. The elves had assured me it was tame, but I didn't care. The thing was horrifying. I decided it would go straight into stew and called Rocksteady over to butcher it.

Of course that is when Mintchocolate returned from underground. She glanced at the spider, asked if it was tame, then without waiting for an answer let it out of the cage and led it outside. She's been trying to train it for war ever since.

At least with the leader occupied I could reserve workforce for my own projects. We finished up the tavern - it was named The Oily Ales - and started work on aqueduct. The latter will require some fine mechanical work lest we flood the whole place. Rocksteady happens to be adept mechanic among with his other talents, and he's been helping me plot it out.

The early spring also saw the first babies born in Angersquats. Though they put a strain to our economy while not providing labour, I have to admit it is nice to have the little ones around. I took it upon myself to craft them some toys.

Around the same time we also got a new bunch of immigrants. Among them a decent armorer by the name of 'Ham' Talkedmined and a jeweler 'Aulis' Gemwill, to whom I will leave the gem cutting business from now on.

I had something else on my mind but I can't remember... I feel strange all of a sudden. I think I need

I need a workshop, blocks, bricks

Yours secretively
blocks, bricks, stones, rocks

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 07:04:38 am »

This is cool.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Massenstein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 06:20:54 am »

Galena, 252

Goodest Mountainhome

Much has transpired since a strange mood struck me during the writing of my previous letter. Where to start? While I was under the spell, Angersquats was attacked by a werecameleon. That could easily have meant the end of our little outpost if not for Mintchocolate's preparations. I now understand why she tied my workforce for so many months.

The moment the beast was spotted, Mintchocolate ordered all civilians down into the tavern. Gates to the entrance area were then shut and archers dwarfed the palisade, shooting at the beast from behind fortifications.
   That was a major crisis averted due to our leader's foresight. Though Mintchocolate herself did not seem to consider that a big deal. She was way more excited about shooting a giant roach few days later. She hates roaches more than she does elves and poetry.
   But not giant spiders, apparently. Bomrek - that's the name she gave to the giant brown recluse spider - follows her everywhere and scares the lidod out of everyone. Why did I let the elves talk me into buying that creature?

Speaking of caravans - summer saw our first contact with human merchants from Omon Zapas. I made purchases of cloth, leather, foodstuffs and few barrels of interesting alcohols. I did also purchase some codices as we can finally afford literature. I am sure Bomber will be happy. I plan to have the library ready before winter.
   But first things first. Long overdue hospital is now ready and fully stocked. We even have soap! Rocksteady finished the aqueduct, and several craftsdwarves combined their efforts to create a truly sublime well.

At this point it probably surprises no one that Mintchocolate nominated me as the chief medical dwarf. This despite me not having any medical background whatsoever. But the job is mostly paperwork and handling logistics. I will leave the actual doctoring to 'Parru' Boardtunneled and 'Uhraaja' Castlepelt who have actual background in the healing arts.
   A temple was built on the same floor and was named The Lovely Church. There have been many requests for a place of prayer over the year, and I admit I needed one myself.
   Under the temple I started designating catacombs. After some thinking I reserved a personal tomb for Mintchocolate Steelfaint for her heroic actions during the werebeast attack. No one disputed this decision.

Well. It was a long and busy summer, but it is almost over. I expect to see the Mountainhome caravan soon, and perhaps some of you dwarves from back home tagging along to join us here at Angersquats. You are warmly welcome.

Yours busily,
Rime Raglures, Bookkeeper & Manager & Broker & Planter & Stonecrafter & Chief Medical Dwarf

Ps. Ah yes, the resulting work of my strange mood all those months ago. A chert ring I for some reason named Bellsquids. Not a world-shaking work of art, but I am proud of it.

Massenstein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 04:40:22 am »

Obsidian, 252

Goodest Mountainhome

Autumn came and went. Caravan from back home visited and great amount of wealth exhanged hands. We had food, furniture, weapons, armour, jewels and small stone crafts to sell. I purchased even more leather and cloth for our budding clothing industry. Also fruit and vegetables and some choice meats, like prepared tiger lung and shark brain.

While I was trading and Mintchocolate was downstairs drinking with the liaison, a cyclops attacked Angersquats. Everyone made it to safety, but there was no time to close the drawbridges. The merchant guards, however, joined our own troops in the fight and the beast was quickly slain.

When Mintchocolate got the news, she once again dragged all of my workforce outside to start another large military project. My library will have to wait.

Another notable thing on the military front - one of Gummy's apprentices, 'Muffle' Gloveoils was truck by a strange mood and created a magnificent silver warhammer he named Sanctumcrowds the Golden Famines. It menaces with spikes of warthog bone and it is beautiful. The artifact inspired Mintchocolate to establish a squad of hammerdwarves. For the captain of that squad she nominated... me!

I'm jesting! There is a limit to Minty's dedication to piling work on my shoulders. She takes military matters very seriously. Her choice of captain was a young hammerdwarf 'Rauli' Brasstax, a a boy so thin and weak he has trouble lifting the artifact weapon. But he displayed great bravery during the cyclops attack, and Minty thinks she can make him into a great soldier and officer.

Steel production has finally started, deep within the bosom of Earth. Gummy and Rocksteady oversaw efforts to utilize a great underground magma sea to power smelters. The way down is so long, however, that majority of the metalworking is still taking place at the forge floor, using coal. Rocksteady has some ideas about channeling the magma nearer to surface, but the planning alone will take many years.

Finally, the first mayoral election happened. To my extreme relief my list of job titles did not grow to include that of the mayor. Instead, a siege engineer and macedwarf 'Rib' Springarch was elected. It was a good decision. Though short-tempered, 'Rib' is empathetic and wise for her years. I will be glad to leave major decision-making to her and just concentrate on bookkeeping, work-managing, hospital-directing, trading, stonecrafting and planting.

Mintchocolate, naturally, was appointed the captain of the guard. Bomber replaced her as military commander. Though myself and Minty don't always see eye to eye, I can't think of anyone more capable of handling the military matters.

Winter is nearly over and we are getting prepared for the arrival of the Elven caravan. I am eager to see what kind of rare goods they bring us this time.

Busily yours,
Rime Raglures, Bookkeeper & Manager & Broker & Planter & Stonecrafter & Chief Medical Dwarf

Massenstein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 09:26:15 am »

Galena, 253

Goodest Mountainhome

The merchants from Quithe Lelu made their annual visit. As usual, it was necessary to distract the fiercely elf-hating and impulsive captain Mintchocolate. I mean - we can not be completely sure her meeting the elves would start a bickering that would escalate into a bloodbath resulting to a years-long war between our civilizations... Probably that would not happen. But why take the risk?

The elves, inspired by my purchase of that giant spider last year (Bomrek is doing fine and still scaring everybody, in case anyone wanted to know) brought a gigantic wolf this time. They must have thought we have a thing for oversized critters.

I was about to tell them thanks but no thanks, but then I noticed Bomber's pleading expression. He was in love. So I purchased the beast and assigned her to Bomber for training. What do giant wolves even eat? I guess we can start with cats.

Our tavern, The Oily Ales, had been attracting increasing number of visitors since its founding. This spring we readied some rooms for visitors to sleep in. Several of them wanted to join our fortress. One of them, a human mercenary called 'Lir' Snugglepads has some trouble traversing our hallways due to her height. You can usually tell when Lir is approaching from the sound of her helmet hitting the ceiling.

Human caravan visited during the summer, as usual. In their wake came a bunch of giant kea birds, providing useful practice for our archers. Some of our own suffered injuries and so the hospital staff finally got to show their talent. Most injuries were minor, except for Reine Mobbedrag who had her liver pierced, forcing her to drink only water until it healed. A gruesome torment. She attacked the booze storage the moment doctor Stabber allowed it.

Speaking the alcohol situation, a subject I know to be of utmost interest to everyone at home, I am glad to report we are currently stable with 20 different kinds of drinks totalling to 85 barrels and three stills constantly running to produce more.

The most important news for the last: The library is finished! I am so proud. Berry contributed some masterly tables and chairs for it, and I personally carved the bookshelves out of shining marble. We named the library Veshronstiz Eshomisden Misttar; Dustvaults the Silent Watchfulness of Knowledge. Our book collection could use more variety, so please send some interesting books with the autumn caravan.

Yours happily,
Pages: [1] 2