Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What am I doing wrong with wrestling?  (Read 900 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
What am I doing wrong with wrestling?
« on: June 19, 2017, 06:44:51 pm »

Okay, so this is an issue that I have been having for a while, and it has killed me several times in situations when I realistically should not have died.

To wrestle a creature, you press shift-a, then select the creature using a-b-c etcetera, the press b to go to the wrestling screen. I get that. Then, you choose how to grapple with your opponent by scrolling through the list and pressing enter, and then once you press enter you press . to wait and use the grapple. That is where the problem comes in because it doesn't always perform the grapple. Sometimes it does, yes, but at other times it seems to attack a random body part. Most recently, I charged a night troll in this way that I meant to catch the knife of. Guess how that went.

I have tried messing with the combat settings, and this has not helped either. I have switched to stand ground, to close combat, to everything I can bloody think of but nothing seems to save me from this seemingly random nonsense. Has anyone else struggled with this issue? And if so, can you fix it? Is it just a glitch I am more prone too?

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: What am I doing wrong with wrestling?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 08:40:55 pm »

Judging from what you've written, I'd wager you're electing to grab, your combat prefs are set to close combat, you're directionally moving which triggers a grab auto-attack, which is why you grab randomly. When you've switched to charge, that directional move is making you charge. The best combat pref setting here would be strike, as strike's auto-attack won't cause a charge which may move you one tile, or randomly entangle you if set to close combat.

So when you press (shift + A) to open the attack menu, followed by choosing selection (b) to wrestle, followed by whatever you're choosing to grab, your choice here is either to process the grab, which confirms that it's landed/missed/blocked/they jump away, or you can chain in another action, which means you don't wait for grab confirmation.

If you want to confirm that the grab has landed, you press the comma key (,) which is one tick, as opposed to the period key (.) which is 10 ticks. The only reason to wait to process the grab is when you want to proceed further down the grappling road map to either a joint lock or a throw. If you choose to wait 10 ticks, all kinds unfortunate things may happen during that interval.

Since it seems you want to disarm, this means you want to chain in another action. You'd want to (shift + A), then (b) to wrestle, choosing to grab the weapon, followed by either (j)umping away to perform Kisat Dur's "grab jump", or you could again (shift + A), followed by (b) to dodge, in order to perform Kisat Dur's "grab dodge" to perform the disarm.

A thing to bear in mind is your character's success in maintaining control over the weapon grabbed during "grab jump" and "grab dodge" is linked to your character's size and strength. An average size/strength goblin will fail to disarm an average size/strength human.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 09:06:20 pm by peasant cretin »

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: What am I doing wrong with wrestling?
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 09:23:25 pm »

Judging from what you've written, I'd wager you're electing to grab, your combat prefs are set to close combat, you're directionally moving which triggers a grab auto-attack, which is why you grab randomly. When you've switched to charge, that directional move is making you charge. The best combat pref setting here would be strike, as strike's auto-attack won't cause a charge which may move you one tile, or randomly entangle you if set to close combat.

Thank you for the long and detailed post! This is the part where the issue arises though.

I'd wager you're electing to grab, your combat prefs are set to close combat, you're directionally moving which triggers a grab auto-attack, which is why you grab randomly.

I'll explain a bit better. I am not moving after grabbing. Occasionally I press J to perform a jump throw, but otherwise I just press the period (.). And I am not randomly grabbing, I'm randomly attacking. I don't grab a head instead of a carving knife, I punch in the face and charge instead of grabbing the carving knife.

After a bit of experimenting, this issue doesn't seem to be happening anymore when I set the combat prefs to close combat, which is weird cause I died just earlier because of this problem when I checked to make sure it was in close combat mode.

I will try out your suggestion to use the comma key instead though. I don't know how much of a difference it'll make, but it's worth a shot. Either way it sounds like a strategy that is less likely to get me killed  :P