• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Hello.
« on: June 19, 2017, 10:36:53 pm »

i am new to DF.
I know the following:
mods are awesome.
Candy=Adamantium.
Clowns=demons(not necessarily wrong there)
Angels are tough as hell.
Dwarf(or dorf, if you prefer)Fortress mode is really complicated.
Legacy mode needs more expansion, but is still pretty cool.
Adventurer mode is kinda boring for me.(i would love for some sort of cheat character that isn't armok)
you can do/get the craziest/most sadistic shit, from the man named Obok Meatgod, to that thing that has over 80k sentient kills, to the fact that you can re-engineer an entire ocean just to kill some walruses, to the fact that there is people that have colonized hell.
i wish:
the object test arena was more expansive
there was mouse support
that there was an option to change the graphics so there is no ascii stuff.
that it was easier to pick out/see what resources were. i spent 3-5+ minutes trying to figure out what trees looked like before going on the wiki
i would love:
an actual vanilla ability to play as Armok/have Armok ingame.
the ability to play as the creatures. and not the sentient ones.
the ability to change to better graphics w/o mods
a "complexity"(NOT DIFFICULTY, COMPLEXITY EXPANDS HOW MANY OPTIONS THERE ARE INGAME) level, normal for experienced players, beginner for...beginners, and fun for the hardcore gamers.
a way to change the arena in object test mode.

welp, thats it for now.
happy.. uh...
whatever crazy shit you guys do here.
oh! yeah!
and remember...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 11:37:00 pm by huehuehue »
Losing is Fun.
Yeah, thats my sig.
So what?
It's fun!

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Hello.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 12:35:05 am »

Welcome to Bay12, Huehuehue.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

huehuehue

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 01:01:39 am »

thanks.
btw, testing out your daleks, they are very squishy near Pokémon.
no, seriously.
they really are weak against them.
try updating them for heat resistance.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 01:10:25 am by huehuehue »
Losing is Fun.
Yeah, thats my sig.
So what?
It's fun!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 03:05:34 am »

What's Legacy mode? Why does it need expanding?
Armok isn't real (despite being in the title) he's a figment of fanboy collective fantasies.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 03:56:21 am »

Armok isn't real (despite being in the title) he's a figment of fanboy collective fantasies.
Armok IS real.
Think about it. Why is the game called Dwarf Fortress: Slaves of Armok?
That is because YOU are Armok. YOU are the one who all the Dwarves are slaving for to please.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 04:00:28 am »

Armok IS real.
Think about it. Why is the game called Dwarf Fortress: Slaves of Armok?
That is because YOU are Armok. YOU are the one who all the Dwarves are slaving for to please.
And if I'm playing elves? Or randomly generated lizards with exposed brains? Or humans in a world with no fantasy elements at all? No thanks, I'd rather stick with the epic aim of creating unique fantasy worlds for every single player than some forced fan theory invented for the purposes of justifying mermaid farming.

(Even if Toady did mention it as a random thought he once had during an interview while taking about Slaves to Armok)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 04:03:51 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 05:43:29 am »

i am new to DF.
May I echo the welcome (welcome welcome welcome...), huehuehue (huehuehue huehuehue huehuehue.. ;))

i wish:
[…]
there was mouse support
What kind? You know you can 'paint' digging designations with the mouse and even use a mousewheel to change zoom-level, especially. Or are you thinking right-click context menus?  That will probably come, but as keyboard control is more precise and tactile then I must say I don't want/need to use the mouse much myself.  (Did you know that Shift and a cursor-key jumps the cursor around? That might also be something useful to you. Can be used quite precisely.)

That's just graphics based on ASCII. Tastes differ (I prefer the 'ASCII' that I have learnt to understand to 'graphics' that sometimes leave one at the whim of a particular artist's version of Impressionism, but that's probably just me being lazy and unwilling to learn) but it's fairly easy to experiment and find a tileset you find more pleasing amd/or comprensible.  (Very easy, I understand, if you're using the Lazy Noob Pack frontend, but that's another thingbI've been too lazy to experiment with.)

Look for 'graphics packs' (and I wouldn't count that as a 'mod', personally, although mods may indeed come with alternate/enhanced graphics).

that it was easier to pick out/see what resources were. i spent 3-5+ minutes trying to figure out what trees looked like before going on the wiki
Modern multi-tile (and multi-Z) trees are somewhat more complex than the 'ASCII shape that looks (sort of like) an entire tree', or redrawn 'non-ASCII' version. I think already being used to viewing the world in Z-slices helped me transition to the new development (first of all, by noticibg that something different was now going on). You'll have been without that advantage.

But checking (and rechecking, and continually dipping in and out of, thereafter) the Wiki is probably the most useful thing you can do, so you're on the right track!

As an, if not 'old hand' at the game, at least a middle-aged one, I think you've got a few good points, and I absolutely think that you're on the right track. The game is (as you have no doubt gathered) right in the middle of a lengthy development process, and some of the things that aren't looking so good right now are definitely going to be changed later, but waiting on other tweaks. Often because the other tweaks will disrupt the thing that could be changed, so perhaps better to improve it just the once, rather than right now and then again when things change and again again when more changes happen.

So I suggest that you persevere, learn, adapt, adapt to the inevitable changes, enjoy (at least some of!) the changes...  But also don't stop making suggestions and giving feedback. I think you are going to fit in here nicely.  (Not that I'm anybody special, to so proclaim, but I'm going to so proclaim anyway...  :P)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 05:46:36 am by Starver »

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 06:37:11 am »

Armok isn't the player, Armok is the god that powers and creates the world that you see come to live. The player is just an omnipresent overseer.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 08:22:37 am »

Armok isn't the player, Armok is the god that powers and creates the world that you see come to live. The player is just an omnipresent overseer.
But even that doesn't work come Mythgen. Each world is created in it's own unique way, without the need for an omnipresent, mermaid bone demanding cruel God of dorvern blood getting involved.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 11:41:54 am »

Armok is simply a god named after the arm_ok variable in one of Toady's old games, bt yea, mythgen makes it look even MORE out of place in my opinion. oh, and welcome.

huehuehue

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 11:59:25 am »

i am new to DF.
May I echo the welcome (welcome welcome welcome...), huehuehue (huehuehue huehuehue huehuehue.. ;))

i wish:
[…]
there was mouse support
What kind? You know you can 'paint' digging designations with the mouse and even use a mousewheel to change zoom-level, especially. Or are you thinking right-click context menus?  That will probably come, but as keyboard control is more precise and tactile then I must say I don't want/need to use the mouse much myself.  (Did you know that Shift and a cursor-key jumps the cursor around? That might also be something useful to you. Can be used quite precisely.) i meant like mouse support on menus and such, as i'm more used to that than "wasd enter esc" to navigate menus. also, thanks for the info on the digging and shig=ft=cursor key.

That's just graphics based on ASCII. Tastes differ (I prefer the 'ASCII' that I have learnt to understand to 'graphics' that sometimes leave one at the whim of a particular artist's version of Impressionism, but that's probably just me being lazy and unwilling to learn) but it's fairly easy to experiment and find a tileset you find more pleasing amd/or comprensible.  (Very easy, I understand, if you're using the Lazy Noob Pack frontend, but that's another thingbI've been too lazy to experiment with.)didn't know it was based on ascii.

Look for 'graphics packs' (and I wouldn't count that as a 'mod', personally, although mods may indeed come with alternate/enhanced graphics).been trying to.

Modern multi-tile (and multi-Z) trees are somewhat more complex than the 'ASCII shape that looks (sort of like) an entire tree', or redrawn 'non-ASCII' version. I think already being used to viewing the world in Z-slices helped me transition to the new development (first of all, by noticibg that something different was now going on). You'll have been without that advantage. lucky. XD

But checking (and rechecking, and continually dipping in and out of, thereafter) the Wiki is probably the most useful thing you can do, so you're on the right track!been doing that a little and experimenting(with modded stuff) in the test arena. still gots a long way to go tho.

As an, if not 'old hand' at the game, at least a middle-aged one, I think you've got a few good points, and I absolutely think that you're on the right track. The game is (as you have no doubt gathered) right in the middle of a lengthy development process, and some of the things that aren't looking so good right now are definitely going to be changed later, but waiting on other tweaks. Often because the other tweaks will disrupt the thing that could be changed, so perhaps better to improve it just the once, rather than right now and then again when things change and again again when more changes happen.i see what you mean.

So I suggest that you persevere, learn, adapt, adapt to the inevitable changes, enjoy (at least some of!) the changes...  But also don't stop making suggestions and giving feedback. I think you are going to fit in here nicely.  (Not that I'm anybody special, to so proclaim, but I'm going to so proclaim anyway...  :P)will do.
ok, thanks.
replies to your relies are in green.
Losing is Fun.
Yeah, thats my sig.
So what?
It's fun!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 04:52:28 pm »

Oh yes, welcome!

So was wondering what you meant by 'legacy version'. Just want to make sure you're not using an old version of DF thinking it's 'stable' or something. Latest version is what you want to be playing.

Or the latest version with a starter pack if you like to use them. Right now that's the same thing, but come the next release (late next month?) it'll be a few versions behind for a while as it catches up with the rapid bug-fix/extra stuff releases.

huehuehue

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 06:46:05 pm »

Oh yes, welcome!

So was wondering what you meant by 'legacy version'. Just want to make sure you're not using an old version of DF thinking it's 'stable' or something. Latest version is what you want to be playing.

Or the latest version with a starter pack if you like to use them. Right now that's the same thing, but come the next release (late next month?) it'll be a few versions behind for a while as it catches up with the rapid bug-fix/extra stuff releases.
i was talking about the ingame mode, not the legacy version.
i am using the 2016 version, if you were wondering.
Losing is Fun.
Yeah, thats my sig.
So what?
It's fun!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 08:59:59 pm »

Legends Mode?

huehuehue

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 10:58:42 am »

Legends Mode?
its a mode where you get to view the history of a world you created.
Losing is Fun.
Yeah, thats my sig.
So what?
It's fun!
Pages: [1] 2