Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stray Roc  (Read 1672 times)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Stray Roc
« on: June 20, 2017, 03:13:22 pm »

Okay, so I did a little bit of modding and added rocs as a creature my civilization has. I started a map, brought a breeding pair of Rocs and everything is going great until the first traders show up.

They go about their business, coming across the river and making it to the depot when suddenly my male roc goes ballistic and murders a child, a yak, a miner and an herbalist before getting put down by the weaver via blunt force trauma to the skull. By the looks of it, the child punched the roc first, causing the whole fight.

What just happened? The combat reports deleted themselves before I could fully understand what happened. The roc received a name, at about the time it died. Is this a megabeast thing/part of the [MEGABEAST] tag? Is there a tag I should remove? This thread has a copy in modding as well now.

Here is the modded section:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And this is the link to the Wikipedia page, in case you want to cross examine it.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 03:49:03 pm by They Got Leader »
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stray Roc
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 04:06:25 pm »

Mega beasts will cause any soldier on active duty or caravan member to automatically attack them as soon as they see them.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 04:11:10 pm »

If I remove the [MEGABEAST] tag, this will go away?
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 04:21:30 pm »

I'd say so, though I've never tried it. Worth a shot.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 05:16:30 pm »

I will give it a try and see. Thank you for the information

Somebodyelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 05:43:26 pm »

Yes, the megabeast tag is definitely to blame. Anything with that tag will murder indiscriminately in world gen and as the other guy said be auto hostile with a lot of entities.

It gets even more hilarious if you try to make a civilization out of sentients with that tag.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 03:01:07 am »

"You are a dangerous beast! You are also a pleasure to speak with, but this has come between us"
Human fisherman draws a silver knife
Human baker draws a boning knife
Human ranger draws a crossbow

Such fun memories of early modding attempts. :)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 03:29:08 pm »

"You are a dangerous beast! You are also a pleasure to speak with, but this has come between us"

That was pretty much how it went. Except it was a child and a roc.

The roc promptly ripped the child in two.

Montieth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 03:57:24 pm »

The child chose poorly.

*“Under the Mountain dark and tall The King has come unto his hall! His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread, And ever so his foes shall fall.
*The sword is sharp, the spear is long, The arrow swift, the Gate is strong; The heart is bold that looks on gold; The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.
*The dwarves of yore made mighty spells, While hammers fells like ringing bells In places deep, where dark things sleep, In hollow halls beneath the fells.
-from The Hobbit (Dwarves Battle Song)”

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 10:21:49 pm »

That was pretty much how it went. Except it was a child and a roc.

The roc promptly ripped the child in two.
Ha. My minotaur hearthperson was slaughtered as the whole town piled on. It was only then I noticed that natural skills don't work for adventurers...

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 04:26:25 am »

Ah, so that's why my Minotaur breeding program ended so badly! Too bad, I so wanted everyone to have a pet War Minotaur...
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 03:39:58 pm »

And this thread took a mighty left hand turn into !!hilariousness!!

My roc ended murdering most everyone in the village. It was a glorious. There was blood everywhere. The roc earned the name "Swiftscales".