Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noob question: weird 4  (Read 1517 times)

Marcus Aseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Noob question: weird 4
« on: June 20, 2017, 05:19:22 pm »

Hi guys, apologize for my noob question, I was building and I don't know what hotkey I pressed but a bunch of 4 appeared all over the place, image below.
What do I press to get rid of them? :/

Goldbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noob question: weird 4
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 06:21:42 pm »

"d"esignate, "x" remove designation, and paint over that area.

For reference, numerals 1-7 like that show priority, with 1 being highest and 4 being default.  So "4"s in this instance simply mean you've designated something to be mined, smoothed, up-ramped or something else, and you want to undesignate that.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 06:23:39 pm by Goldbeard »

Marcus Aseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 06:31:33 pm »

"d"esignate, "x" remove designation, and paint over that area.

For reference, numerals 1-7 like that show priority, with 1 being highest and 4 being default.  So "4"s in this instance simply mean you've designated something to be mined, smoothed, up-ramped or something else, and you want to undesignate that.

No actually I am perfectly fine with those designation, the problem is the number display, it used to not display any number, only a different color.
I need the hotkey to revert back to "designation without numbers" display mode  :P
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 06:34:45 pm by Marcus Aseth »

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
  • Mediocre english, sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 06:33:21 pm »

You pressed Alt+p and show the priorities of the jobs.
The info is in the right lower corner of your screen.

I use Alt+p when i dig large room in my fortress, making a big square with priority 4, with a little square inside with 3, with a little with 2, with a little square inside with 1.
My miners dig the 1 square, and i can build my quantum stockpile, when they dig the 2 i built basic workshops, and more complex workshop with 3 and beds/dining room with 4.
Its better thant a bunch of dwarves digging random paths in the layer.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 06:35:05 pm by Luriant »
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝
  Σ Spkd Grn Glss Blls 252☼ 2.6Γ

Marcus Aseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 06:40:00 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 06:46:42 pm by Marcus Aseth »

Marcus Aseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 06:41:47 pm »

You pressed Alt+p and show the priorities of the jobs.
The info is in the right lower corner of your screen.

Unfortunately that's not it as well  :P
If I press ALT+P it hide the priority number but only for the current Designation activity, meaning as soon as I press "d" to order a new designation, the number are there again and I am forced to press ALT+P again.

It used to be "priorities hidden" by default (until I messed up pressing a bunch of keys by accident), therefore the only explanation is that there is yet another keybinding that cycle trough "priority visibility ON/OFF" behaviour for whenever you start a new designation. I need to know what key is that :)  (ALT+P is only for current designation, not for every designation)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 06:48:22 pm by Marcus Aseth »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 09:57:46 pm »

If you have not been changing designation priorities intentionally, you probably hit + or - and put at least one non-4 designation on the map. Read the second paragraph here in the wiki to stop the flashing numbers.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Marcus Aseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 10:18:26 pm »

If you have not been changing designation priorities intentionally, you probably hit + or - and put at least one non-4 designation on the map. Read the second paragraph here in the wiki to stop the flashing numbers.

I did that too, but didn't fixed it..  :'(
Guess I just have to press d -> alt+p every time now...  :'(

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 12:59:44 am »

If you have no non-default priority designations then after saving and reloading the numbers should be gone.  :)  Bugs me when it happens too...  I don't know of another way to fix it.

Edit: oh wait, that's what the wiki says...  :-[
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 01:01:53 am by feelotraveller »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 12:02:19 pm »

It's worth pointing out that the "Alt+p" feature is provided by DFHack ("tweak hide-priority"). You can tell because "Alt+p" is displayed in red, while DF keybindings are displayed in green. The only thing it does is toggle the flag that DF uses to keep track of whether priorities are visible. DF seems to reset this flag, though, so Alt+p won't persist. The numbers should only be displayed when you're in the designation menu in any case, though.

I think anewaname's advice is good - are you sure you don't have any non-default-priority designations?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 11:48:09 pm »

Last time this happened to me, I had to not only quit out of the game, but restart the computer to get it to stop. I use a vanilla game, no add-ons. It's meant to be able to be turn-off-able, but frankly I've found that the methods for turning it off don't work.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 06:50:30 am »

Restarting your computer shouldn't change it. Also, there's not a vanilla way to turn them off, except maybe undesignating everything with a priority - that's why the DFHack feature exists.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.