Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unretiring Issues  (Read 882 times)

Jako98145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unretiring Issues
« on: June 20, 2017, 07:03:22 pm »

I recently unretired a relatively stable fortress, but now some problems have arisen.

The least troubling issue is related to the myriad of "hostile" diplomats and merchants scattered around the caverns.  They seem rather peaceful, but the game is listing them as hostile.  Also, around ten "merchants" are now citizens of my fort, lazing around, doing nothing.

And something rather trifling occurred, too; all of my nobles are failing to recognize that they have offices and rooms.  However, the game still recognizes that the rooms belong to them.  This means that they'll whine and be unproductive unless I unassign and reassign their respective rooms.

The worst issue, though, is my missing alcohol.  Prior to retiring the fort, I had somewhere around 2000 units of liquor for my ~60 dwarfs, but now they have completely vanished.  I believe my food supplies are fine, though.

I know that the hostile bug is common enough, but I've never heard of the rest occurring.  Has anyone else had these issues?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unretiring Issues
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 10:00:55 pm »

When the overseers away, the gnomes shall play...

Hesperid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 12:59:26 am »

Has anyone else had these issues?

Sounds like what happens on every unretire. You'll also notice your animals are no longer assigned to the correct pastures and all your containers need to be reconstructed if you visited as an adventurer.

These little bugs are just the cost of doing business. If you need a quick way to evacuate 130 merchants, I built a drowning room specifically for that purpose. Levers fill it with water from a river and then drain it when everyone's dead.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 07:33:47 am »

Yep.  These are the issues with retiring/unretiring.  Some of them are bugs, some of them are intentional (although I'm not sure what the intent is).  You should reassign all rooms, desks, etc when you unretire or else you will have problems.  Sometimes various things will be untouchable (like stacks of rotting cheese).  If you get that, build something on the spot so that the dwarfs have to move it.  Then forbid the stack, run the game for a while and then unforbid.  That usually does the trick.

Artlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 08:20:52 am »

Has anyone else had these issues?
If you need a quick way to evacuate 130 merchants

How do you get them to go into your drowning room? I have this problem as well.

Jako98145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 07:19:47 pm »

I see.  Thanks for the responses, I guess I have some liquors to brew for my lovable little alcoholics.

clockwork

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 12:21:12 pm »

Yep.  These are the issues with retiring/unretiring.  Some of them are bugs, some of them are intentional (although I'm not sure what the intent is).

I believe the merchant/diplomat/bedroom problems are bugs but who knows what might make a feature. Not sure but I think items being scattered/missing was a baby-step towards simulating the world changing after a time. I.E. The diplomats and merchants drank all the booze.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 12:33:03 pm »

Heh. That's what I imagine, though it's on the ground - all containers get emptied and those buildings unbuilt iirc, booze is just the most noticeable.